Etiquette

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not Planned
I think, perhaps more so with the group of people that joined this community 3 to 4 years ago there was a, maybe unspoken, etiquette, of one's name including their call sign to, perhaps in only a crude way, indicate they were actually radio amateurs as opposed to trolls or malcontents, or unlicensed purchasers of Flex radios (are we designated OO's?).

It feels of late, there has been a rash of new arrivals that either have 'handles' ala CB or just a first name. I don't know if it makes sense to declare Elmers as identity police but I just wanted to reflect on the change in trend on here of late. If others concur perhaps it's worthy of a friendly conversation.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 582 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
I see no need to stir the pot with friendly CB conversations.  Today's new arrivals may very well end up being tomorrow's Elmer's.        
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
In my experience being licensed or not doesn't change the way people speak to each other. I could add my call sign but honestly, the way things are today I am less inclined to give something out that gives my address so any loon can show up at my door step. I give it on the air and on QRZ and Ham only forums but open forums, nope, not worth the added risk to my family. 

Ham only forums it's equal because everybody displays their call sign so it works out.

LIDS show up where ever people congregate be it forums or what have you. If you purchased a Flex radio without a license which is legal to do I think? Then you should be able to post here and hopefully not act like a troll.
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 637 Posts
  • 138 Reply Likes
I am less inclined to give something out that gives my address so any loon can show up at my door step

Understand:  Cq Cq from beeeep. My name is beeeep, my QTH is beeeep and your signal rap is beeeep. :-)))))

73 Chris DL5NAM - QTH LOC: JN59PP69JO

PS: your welcome at my door step!
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1138 Posts
  • 412 Reply Likes
I am controversial but I am no so much of a wimp that I hide. My address is easily found by looking up my call. The word courage is not usually associated with hams.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 498 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Sorry Walt, I cannot agree with you on this. I am a UK licensee but I reserve the right not to use my callsign on any forum. The only way to tell if someone is a "troll" or "malcontent" is to look at their posts and judge. The fact that someone is or is not licensed doesn't signify they are morally upstanding. Lastly, what about the SWL's who might own a 6700R or a 6x00 transceiver prior to becoming licensed - would you have the forum exclude them?
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I forgot about the SWL side of it, good point.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Sorry, this has actually been a recurring conversation on here. I think in the past it as actually be broached by Elmers. The only difference is this time I brought it up as the way it's been broached in the past was highly (personal opinion) inflammatory and combative. So, yes, malcontents are self identifying, eyes of the beholder aside, But one has to ask, especially in this facebook era where nothing you type or post isn't digested, processed, marketed, why someone feels the need for anonymity, especially given the vast majority of the OTer on here do self identify. So, the question remains is why the cloaked identity?

I almost said nothing. It did stand out though so I thought I would. Hey, whatever dude. I would say though, from experience on here, if you want to be taken seriously, you may want to rethink the anonymity thing. Or not.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 498 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Try looking at it the other way Walt. Why is there a need for callsigns to be used here?

The content of any post should either stand or fall on its own merits. The identity of the author should neither enhance nor diminish the value of the post. It could even be suggested that the inclusion of full names/calls represents a desire by some to attract a form of kudos via their posts. I don't use any of the social "broadcast" media because I prefer to choose what I share and with whom I share it. The same applies to this and other fora.
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
If this were an Amateur Radio only forum that required a call to sign up like QRZ I would gladly give that info because EVERYBODY would have to.

In this community it isn't a requirement so if some person decides to get their panties in a bunch they can look up your address and while that may not bother you, it could bother the wife or children if they answer the door in your absence and if said bunched up panties guy decides to do something, he can.

I prefer not to give out anymore information than I have to in a world where people will riot over a rumor and kill people over nothing. The less info people have about me, the better. 

Posting an opinion on a forum is neither enhanced or made negative because I post my call sign. If knowing my call sign is the only way somebody will take me seriously, then the problem isn't with me, they can move on and ignore me.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
I see your point about security and it is very serious one. However, if you are concerned about security and you do not want to give up your info start by not putting your address online through qrz.com. And, maybe do not post here. Your opinion will be missed but I think anonymous posters are a minority.

All of this is a moot point, however. FRS already voiced their opinion and anonymous posting will remain.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
I give the FCC Howard's address.i mean, he's hardly ever there anyway.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes

@Walt.. Which Address. La Jolla, Paris, Sablet? or any others? 

There really are NO SECRETS and if someone really wanted to find out who NordicPC was or any other anonymous poster for that matter, I suspect that a reasonably competent Internet search  or some packet sniffing or IP tracking  would find them in a few minutes...

The major advantage of trying to stay anonymous is that it gives you the freedom to make a fool of yourself without having to take responsibility later for saying something you wish you hadn't.....

And it takes you out of the running for the Curmudgeon of the Year award which is given to someone brave enough to admit to making a fool of themselves...

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Equal opportunity...I rotate them.
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Howard, 

Apparently keeping my info private on a PUBLIC forum is a horrible reason and foolish. Your reasons as well as the others who post it openly are selfish but hey you're willing to allow people you don't know to come for a visit, your choice and I could care less because I'm here to learn, not tell others how to post on a forum they don't own.

Packet sniffing on a forum you can't see IP's on, good luck with that, unless somebody from Flex gives it to you, you aren't sniffing anything but farts. 

The major advantage of not allowing people like you my personal information is I don't have to worry about you doing something stupid, you're stuck on this forum mocking those who don't think like you and thinking somehow you could find somebody so easily. You must have watched a few too many TV shows where some guy types on the keyboard and BAM instantly through the firewall. Nonsense.

As for winning the curmudgeon, I'll live with that choice and leave it to the fools who don't care who knows where they live and don't care what danger that poses to their family.

If this were a forum where EVERYBODY used their call, well we've beaten that horse to death and I suspect somebody here will get a wild hair again in a few months starting this ridiculousness all over again. 
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Salvador,

"Start by NOT putting my info on QRZ??" Why would I do that? QRZ requires everybody to use their call sign to use that site and you can't log into it without one so of course I use it.

The risk is shared by all equally on QRZ, this is the very point I have tried to make. FlexRadios forum is not shared risk because it lacks the same requirement.

What I can't understand is the thick headed whining about a persons choice to not give an open forum their personal information that NON-AMATEURS can get to.

That doesn't bother many and I say great, that is your choice, my choice shouldn't affect anybody because they can make their choice but to keep harping on a person who has given valid reasons for not sharing private info on a public forum is beyond reason.

My XYL's Chihuahua is more reasonable, anybody own one, you know what I mean.

Howard and the rest who want this place to be all call signs think it might change something, they're wrong, as wrong as the guys who complain about no code Techs thinking no code techs will bring thousands of LIDS on the air when it had thousands of them to begin with.

Not meaning all of this at you Salvador, I'm done with this thread, good grief people are purposefully obtuse.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes

My world is an open book - I really do not give a damn who finds me...

But as Walt says I am rarely in one place long enough to be found...

I guess I have lived too long to be a conspiracy theorist but they never seem to happen..

If someone want to come visit me.. please do..

We get all sorts of unannounced guests all the time..

In fact, we really enjoy having visitors...as it gives us an excuse to party.

In California  I have a great automatic 4 bottle wine dispenser and a dedicated beer fridge for anyone who deems to visit...

Plus I have a rather large state of the art station in case you are sober enough to operate after we sample all my great wines...

In Paris, I have a favorite bar downstairs from the apartment and if you are still sober you can always remote via my station in La Jolla from the bar (200Mb/s x 200Mb/s Wifi link in the bar)....

In Sablet, we are part of a winery so you can drink all the great Gigondas wines you can handle and still remote to my station in La Jolla

In Healdsburg, my son's wines are a bit expensive to give away (He makes me pay retail to support the business) but we can always go for a beer..

Bottom Line: 

I really do not give a damn who finds me..as I can always use more drinking and dx buddies...

BTW....Your sign up with Get Satisfaction included a source IP address and email address.. unless you consciously blocked it...Flex already knows pretty close as to where you might be.... with a little detective work I have no doubt that someone who actually cared about you could easily find you..

BUT heck.. who really gives a damn who you are....as you are clearly avoiding my fabulous drinking and dxing invitations... and the Fantastic Curmudgeon of the Year Award...

Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 270 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Thank you Howard. I for one will be happy to accept your kind invitation to visit you the next time I visit the U.S. to stay with my daughter. Probably won't happen until sometime in 2018. I just hope you will be in California at the time. I would be most happy to reciprocate, if you ever visit Tasmania
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes
Love to meet you Winston. Let me know when your about to come so maybe we can coordinate schedules.

XYL hiked The BAY OF FIres a couple of years ago. She has been threatening me to hike it with her the next time. I hear the beer is quite good down there. So I might take you up on ur offer too.

Maybe we can do a QSO sooner. I have an unimpeded shot across the Pacific to you.
(Edited)
Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 270 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Yes, Howard we would be delighted to have you visit us next time you are in VK. As this is a little off topic, I will continue our discussion by direct email.

73 Winston

ps we did meet briefly at the Flex Banquet in May while waiting in the queue for the second serving of food to arrive!
Photo of Robert -- N5IKD

Robert -- N5IKD, Elmer

• 488 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
If someone registers with Google or Facebook, does the GetSatisfaction interface allow the opportunity to provide a callsign or unique username?
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
That's an interesting point. I routinely have to log in via Google, as I wouldn't be caught dead with a Facebook account, yet it always shows my proper identification on here. My Google accts know nothing about kz1f. In SAML terminology it is called account linking. And, coincidentally, what I will likely use in some software I am writing.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3178 Posts
  • 706 Reply Likes
I don't know Walt, sort of difficult to ask all to identify. For me as you know by now and sometimes gets your fur up, is I try and correct very poor and misleading information meant to throw mud on Flex. But I still understand in some cases misleading info is not intentional. That's all I can do.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
But, help me out here Bill, has this very subject not come up on here about every eight months or so? At one level I don't care but when in the past, it's come up, it's been contentious.

In fact, didn't one occurrence result in you adding your call as a suffix?
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4070 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
It was discussed a while back, Walt, and ultimately rejected because of security/privacy concerns.  Also the reasoning ultimately went the way of the "if we require CW skills it will keep out the riff-raff."  Which argument has been debunked in my mind.  Code-free Amateur tickets brought in the likes of Gerald et.al. who gave us Flex-radio and other advances.  (not to open another can or worms, but I have met more idiots and snobs who passed the 20 WPM than I have who did not...and I passed it the hard way myself, so this is not sour grapes)

Ultimately the consensus, though not unanimous, was that people's behavior and contribution was much more indicative than their online handles. 

An even greater help to keeping the forum etiquette is for all of the frequent contributors to set a good example of decorum and tolerance, even when we disagree.  Positive peer pressure can be a powerful thing.  besides, a troll looking for a fight and not receiving one quickly gets bored...usually.  if not, the can get banned if necessary.
(Edited)
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
I will work on my ability to not reply "in kind". I do not tolerate unwarranted / baseless drive by attacks from trolls too well and will simply conclude that no matter what some people will never be happy or they have a dishonest agenda. I do admire your restraint Ken and from others as well. It has not gone unnoticed on me.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
I am assuming you are referring to me Mike? I attacked no one, and neither did Ken who, where did codeless come from. So, OK, well I am going to change my handle on here to...."studmuffin".

Paul, try reading what I said. This is not "My Idea" this has, several times been the cause for rancor, attacks, and general contention on here. So, hey, if nobody objects, who am I to. So poohy on etiquette. Hmmm, kind of like it's a good idea right up until Walt made reference to it. Maybe "Studley Doright". And, for you newbies, that's all this was, reference to the cause of contention that has surfaced sever times since I've been on here. So now you know to expect it. For warned is for armed.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1621 Posts
  • 235 Reply Likes
Trolls == Anonymous

However

Anonymous != Troll

A call sign isn't a good indicator of good behavior.

Many of us wouldn't mind having the freedom to decide just who gets to have freedom.

Freedom is better earned, than voted on.

Hate the trolls by ignoring them!

73, Jay - NO5J
Photo of N9VC

N9VC

• 139 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hi Walt,

I agree with you, but not sure what is the best approach to the matter.
I see it happen on a variety of web pages, the insensitive and outright
attacks that can take place. I wonder if people would be that bold if
they had to deal with someone face to face, rather than a keyboard.
The feeling that someone is half way across the country or more gives
some the feeling they can say whatever they like and not have to worry
about facing the person they are attacking.
It seems to have gotten worse on this board as of late and it is a shame
because the intent of this board has gone sour at times. I would hate to
see this board go away, but would not blame the Flex leadership if they
did. Constructive criticism is okay, but the armchair quarterbacks, who
know best how to run Flex Radio and the 'me too's' should temper their
thoughts at times.
The biggest problem today is lack of regard for other people and their
feelings. Not just on this board, but in everyday life. If I am afraid
to post my name and call here with my thoughts and comments, then maybe
I should not post.

73, Jim N9VC

I wonder if the the big 3 sponsor a community page where hams can make
disparaging comments about the way their companies run their business.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4070 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
No offense or reference intended to you or anyone, Walt, with the code-free remark. 
I was simply drawing a parallel between various arguments I have heard in the "how can we clean up the bands and/or computer forums" discussions.   I have observed that there is no single qualifier that makes or prevents one from acting badly on the air or on the keyboard. 

And no offense taken in the broaching of the etiquette question. 

One of my favorite lines from the movie "1776" is when the Congress is voting on whether to discuss the subject of independence.  The old codger rep from Rhode Island, as he returns from the privy, says: "In all my born days I have never heard of a topic so dangerous that it couldn't be TALKED about.  I'm in favor of debating anything!"  (quote slightly mangled by my memory)

I am always in favor of a good debate, even an energetic one, as long as it doesn't get personal.  One problem with online debates, though, is that it is often easy for two people to misunderstand one another's meaning and/or intention because we lack the ability to discern non-verbal cues like facial expression, tone of voice, tempo, etc. that can often carry much of the meaning.  (and can often be assumed incorrectly by the recipient) Which is why I am often extra cautious and slow to type when I find disagreement.  It is also why often I have spent time typing and editing a comment only to find that three others have commented before I hit "send!"

Have a great day!

Ken - NM9P 
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
No not at all Walt. Sorry for not being more specific. I was referring to those mentioned in your OP. My bad.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
NP, Mike. While I never go out of my way to offend anybody...well? I am careful to make amends if I have, for the most part
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Ken, as far as RI, hey dude, I resemble that remark, RI born and bred. Remember, we were kicked out of Massachusetts, likely for being unruly, truth be told. BTW, they had a stick up where the sun don't shine.
(Edited)

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
I get attacked in this forum only by anonymous posters.

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
I get attacked in this forum only by anonymous posters.
Photo of Carl K5HK

Carl K5HK

• 39 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Yes, Hams should have their callsigns in their sign on.  How we gonna know who you are without it?

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
I can't edit or remove the double post. I would like to change the "only" by a "mostly".
I find forum users behave more politely with others if they are not hiding behind a nickname. 

If fear of your personal information being on the web for all to see, maybe only Flexradio could have access to your real name and callsign even if you decide to post with an alias.
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 102 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I'd  support required call signs (or some form of ID) on the forum.  I think the loss of privacy & anonymity concern is over stated.  Reality is .. we all joined a hobby that requires us to positively ID at specific intervals while on air. How is IDing on the forums more intrusive than that ??
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Quote N9VC "If I am afraid to post my name and call here with my thoughts and comments, then maybe I should not post."

Thankfully, people who think this way are not in charge of the forum. I'm not AFRAID of posting my call sign. I won't do it because crazy people are everywhere and that call sign directs them to my house where people I care about reside.

I counter with if you don't care who knows where you live, great post that call everywhere, have a party but people who decide not to have every right to post, as much as you do.
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Ken,

Testing to become an Amateur Radio Operator had nothing to do with how you interact on the Internet and it shouldn't. Flex sells SWL radios, should they also create another community forum so those non-licensed people can have their own place to post?

I agree on giving my info to Flex, which I did call sign and all. On call sign only forums, you will see exactly what people are complaining about here. QRZ being a big example, it's a moderation nightmare and all folks involved use their call signs.

It's like saying on the air people will behave because they have to give their call, LIDS are LIDS no matter where we are, online or on the air and if people honestly think call signs would fix how people talk online, sign up at QRZ or any host of other call sign only sites, you'll find out fast enough it's no different.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 651 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
NordicPC, Do you actually talk on the radio? On HF? Do you ID? IF so you have broadcast your name and address around the world. Probably to the jihadists in the middle east as well ask nuts in this country. If you are worried about that maybe you need an new hobby.

Hopefully you haven't been on 14.313:)

Jon, not afraid to say it kf2e.

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
NordicPC, I agree with a lot of your posts lately in the forum, not all, but a large percentage. I however disagree with you on this one.

I don't think posting on this Forum should be considered a right. No one is obligated to post here. There are many places that require you to share your real name and address, starting with the FCC.

I don't think of it as being afraid or not. If you value your anonymity that is perfectly fine... do not post.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Just for Chuckles once I went on 14 313 with the 1500 just for chuckles . They politely asked me to leave as I was so weak they couldn't hear me.
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Jon,

What does talking on the air where it's required to ID have to do with posting on a forum that doesn't?? 

Seriously, it has nothing to do with being on the air, if this were QRZ where call sign is required, well guess what, I give my call sign! AS REQUIRED and I am on that site using my call sign every day.

I have heard 14.313, 3843 and a host of others where call signs are frequently not used, maybe you could jump on the air and explain to them how they should abide by the rules.

Until Flex requires a call to use their community, I will prefer not to use it, as is my right. I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over something that has nothing to do with how people use this or any other open forum when people are no different in the private ones where everybody uses a call.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Myself as well,NPC, I agree with much of what you've said in your time here. I'd much prefer a propernoun to be Sam, Dave, Lisa, Shania than NordicPC. It sort of feels like I don't have a right to know who I am talking to.
(Edited)
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 651 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
NPC, What does it say to people when you say I want to beta test this software for all of you but don't want you to know who I am. 

I'm really sorry that you feel that letting a forum like this know who you are is some sort of threat. I certainly don't begrudge you the prerogative to remain anonymous. Just don't expect others to trust you the same as members who are open to the community.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Salvador,

I have to take this point by point.

"NordicPC, I agree with a lot of your posts lately in the forum, not all, but a large percentage. I however disagree with you on this one."

Ok, lets dig in and see why.

"I don't think posting on this Forum should be considered a right. No one is obligated to post here. There are many places that require you to share your real name and address, starting with the FCC."

I never stated posting on this forum is or isn't a right, not sure where that came from? Agreed, nobody is obligated to post here, again, not sure where that came from. Agreed, there are many places that require you to give your information and call sign, so? The FlexRadio community forum DOES NOT.

"I don't think of it as being afraid or not. If you value your anonymity that is perfectly fine... do not post."

I replied to the person who used the word afraid, it doesn't matter the reason, people in this forum don't have to like it a persons reason. As you stated, nobody is OBLIGATED to post here.

I value that the owners of FlexRadio understand that they don't sell to just Amateur Radio Operators so they have an OPEN FORUM more or less since it doesn't require a call sign and this bothers people so telling me NOT TO POST because I don't abide by the thoughts and rules as dictated by forum members is ridiculous.

If Gerald decides to lock this place up so a call is required, I will abide by his rules as they are HIS RULES, (or whomever makes them at Flex) not forum members who think how they do something is how others should as well.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Isn't Windows 10, roundly known to be just as data mining extreme as Facebook? It seems the only place people have any semblance of privacy is in their bedroom, and even that is not a given. Ask Hulk Hogan.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 651 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Wasn't that his best friends bedroom?

Jon...kf2e
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Jon,

My beta testing has nothing to do with you, or anybody else on the forum. If Flex decides to use me they have my information and the appropriate people who need the information will have it. If Gerald or whomever says you need to post your call with your ID then if I decide to accept being a beta tester I would do that, as expected. I am great with following rules set by people in the role to set them, not as posted by people who have no position to make them.

I never said this forum was a threat, where did you get that from? I said people and in 2016 USA I in fact do NOT trust that all people online that sees my call sign are good people, nobody has to like that but my families safety is everything to me. It's not even a little like being on the air where both sides are required by the FCC to ID themselves.

Forum members insisting to know everything about somebody to trust them isn't my problem, its that persons problem. Not a single person has to take my advice, read my posts or interact with me, freedom is awesome that way. 

If I get advice from somebody on this forum his call sign doesn't enter into it, his advice does, it's up to me to make that determination. If I give advice and knowing my call is that important, ignore me, no harm no foul.
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Walt, 

Yeah, Windows 10 is defiantly intrusive as is Alexa etc...
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
In an attempt at humor I use that. But I think the larger point is there's no semblance of privacy on internet to begin with and people who think otherwise are largely deluding themselves . An individual, who became a friend of mine e, on here used his middle name but in normal conversations used his 'to his friends' name. But that was infinity better than calling oneself Buzz Lightyear, broadcasting to all 'I refuse to divulge who I actually am'.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
But, to your point NPC, whatever works for you.
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Well as the OP I hope you can understand now why some people choose not to be free with information on an open forum since that info can lead to their house. If this forum required a call to sign up, we wouldn't be having this debate/discussion. 

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Well, perhaps this conversation has largely been played out. Personally, I think you have a lot of insight to offer.I think it's a shame you prefer to do it from behind a curtain. But don't you see how that hurts your credibility?
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Walt,

Seriously, I have said it now so much I have to believe people are ignoring it. My wife's safety FAR OUTWEIGHS any concerns of what people think of me here.

I have had this discussion with her, and she prefers no information is given unless it has to be. Why, this should be obvious to all but apparently it isn't.

It's 2016, my call sign on an OPEN let me say that for I don't know, the tenth time? My call sign is NEVER EVER going to be posted on an open forum.

My credibility will be earned, as it should be. My call sign tells you absolutely nothing other than I passed an exam. It also gives people who I can't get information on open access to my home location. 

Why it doesn't bother anybody else that their wives can be home one day and because anybody with a search engine can find out in 1 minute where you live and you give no thought to that.

Howard believes I can be found in minutes, he's wrong, but he can be found in seconds. If he thinks my IP can be found without the help of Flex, more power to him.

My credibility will be earned, nobody here has any credibility to me until I have read his posts and decided on if he deserves it or not.

Call sign will have zero to do with it, words will.

Howard's place is pretty nice, it took 4 seconds to look it up, that doesn't bother anybody. wow.

OPEN FORUM, still don't get it? 
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes
Glad you like my Shack in LaJolla

Here is the view from Sablet

No it doesn't bother me at all that it took as long as 4 seconds to find me.

I just believe that there no secrets and no one can hide from anyone determined to find you.

So why waste all the useless effort to hide?
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Well bully for you, my wife begs to differ, nothing conspiracy about it. YOU could not find me, period. On QRZ or other Amateur site where everybody uses call signs it's different.

The great thing about the Flex forum, clearly, is that it's open to all who purchase their products without a few Amateurs getting their panties twisted because they don't use their call.

I am not trying to hide, I chose to not post my call sign on an open forum, period. My call sign isn't needed by a single person on this forum, not one. 

However clearly since you guys seem to post new threads whining about the lack of call signs after this one finally dies the death it deserves one of you will once again start another one.

This isn't your forum, none of you own it, but you sure don't mind running people through the ringer on it.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes

Walt

I suggested this several months ago but it was rejected by Flex who wanted to keep a totally open  forum so we continue to suffer the whiners and trolls...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/please-get-rid-of-anonymous-posting

Yes...

There has been a significant visible lessening of the posting decorum in the last few months..

But there has also been a significant increase of new posters on this community which is good because it implies a significant increase in sales to pay for new software development.  (unless the trolls are signing up in droves)

Since many of the new posters are late adopters of SDR technology that seem to have more of an "appliance" expectation rather than a "bleeding edge of technology" expectation - it would seem that they are not used to the way things happen in the SDR world. 

A significant number also seem to be computer or technically challenged.  So they do not understand how difficult a "SIMPLE MATTER OF PROGRAMMING" maybe to get right without breaking something else.  Many of the serial whiners fall into this group.

Many of the new posters seem to be economically challenged and expect that even a lowly 6300 as a major investment which should have performance exceeding a 6700

So we get a lot of very acerbic postings when the "appliance" does not work like legacy appliances do without any consideration given to the fact that the 6000 series SDR's totally outperform every other legacy radio on the market in most areas and are rapidly closing the gap on the remaining areas. .   

Bottom Line:  As much as many of the anonymous serial whiners are a PIA, I am quite happy to have them here... They do help sometimes (rarely) in identifying things that slip through the cracks and more important their investments in Flex help pay for future software development needed to keep Flex on top of the pile....

Finally:  As you may recall I have given out the "Curmudgeon of the Year Award" every year at the Flex banquet at Dayton... Unfortunately with so many new anonymous serial whiners it is going to be really hard to identify the winner for 2016

Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Many serial whiners are using call signs. This thread is a pretty good example of people whining because Flex doesn't require a call sign to post here. 

I guess its only whining if somebody whines without a call on this forum, noted.
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 102 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
<< anonymous serial whiners >> 
Howard... maybe you could coin   ASW  ;)
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 651 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
I guess my perspective on this is why would a licensed ham not want other hams to know his call? It is after all a "community." It's really no different than ID'ing when you are on the air. This doesn't mean that we should exclude people who are not licensed, they could identify themselves as SWL or unlicensed. That way forum members would understand the context to answer their questions. 

Jon...kf2e
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Reasons were given, privacy on an open forum where a call sign is not required is a valid reason and it is different than identifying on the air where both people are required to give their call, how is this so hard to comprehend?
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 651 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
NPC,

No one is saying you can't refuse to give your call. I just think you shouldn't be expected to be taken seriously while remaining anonymous. You have the right to remain anonymous and forum members have the right to discount you as a result.

Sorry I fanned this fire. I'm going QRT now.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Jon,

I think I have made it perfectly clear not a single solitary soul has to read a single word I write if knowing my call is that important to them.

Discount away folks.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1621 Posts
  • 235 Reply Likes
To the thread:

I trust nobody! I take none of you seriously! I have a suspicion that many feel the same way about me. If you need help with something I'll always try to help. If your pushing some agenda you will get no help from me. If your whining for the sake of more whining your not earning any respect, from me at least. I really don't care how someone identifies their communications. It's the content that matters. Make it matter!

73, Jay - NO5J 

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
I would like to let you know NordicPC that you can have your callsign and name in QRZ.com without your physical address. You can provide the FCC with a POBox and remove any address that can lead to your wife.

If you were to take this steps, which will greatly improve your family's safety, will you then provide your real name and callsign here?

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
You can do the address change from the comfort of your computer through the ULS website. http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home
You can also submit Form 605 manually.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 822 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
OK, you guys have convinced me to go incognito with an alias.  I even know what I will use for my avatar.  I can have a lot more fun that way since no one will know who I am.  
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4070 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
That's funny, Gerald! Can I suggest a few aliases? Bit Banger, Peter Panadapter, Captain Skyhook, Papa Bronze Bear? Sorry....couldn't resist!
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 907 Posts
  • 233 Reply Likes
Me too, I shall now be called King Coleslaw, conquerer of picnics.
Photo of Jim Best

Jim Best

• 46 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Com'on guys, I'm wearing out my delete key. I log into the Flex Community and look for useful information. Before this it was "Alpha Beta something" I don't remember and I deleted all of them just as these. Let's get back to SDR and remove the personalities. I know, here come the flames. They will be deleted.  My name is Jim, My call is WU7G, licensed since 1965.
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 229 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
I'm having the same problem, Jim. It really would be fun to join in the endless free form bellyaching but I'm having so much fun with my FLEX and MAESTRO I just can't find the time! Maybe we should suggest taking up a hobby to those who seem so frustrated? Like maybe --- Ham Radio?         (Oh yeah, I also have a turbocharged delete key!)
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 907 Posts
  • 233 Reply Likes
Hear Hear!  I've taken up the troll's invitation to avoid reading anything he writes, which is completely useless from what I've seen. 

I went away for a while, and sad to say, the slipping tone in here hasn't gotten better. 

Signed Michael J Coslo, N3LI - aka King Coleslaw, conquerer of picnics
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Thank you Coleslaw,

Signed Troll - aka King of could care less
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 865 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Well...   I can't fault anyone for not posting their call sign. 

Switching the topic a bit, perhaps instead of requiring posting any personal info at least knowing if the person is a "verified purchaser" of a 6K series similar to the way Amazon and others handle reviews. On the community if there was an indication of this it might help.

Regards All

K-T--    T-- in  S--nt-l-z, -A. : US-  Ear-h
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes
ITim

I know wher u live but I will miss u at lunch tomorrow.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 498 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Any of you go to parties, bars or pubs? If so, whilst there, as well as talking with existing friends, you might engage in conversation with people you don't initially know. Not knowing their full name, address, inside leg measurement, annual income, size of property portfolio, hobby budget, etc, etc has NO impact on the quality of the experience. Indeed sometimes a friendship is formed at which point the exchange of this privilaged information may be more appropriate.

Just as a footnote - Anyone on here could simply pick a callsign at random and register. Chances are it would never be noticed. 73.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3496 Reply Likes
Official Response
I have already addressed the FlexRadio position on this subject before.  Use of a call sign or any other uniquely public identifying notation in a user name will NOT be required to use the Community. Not now.  Not ever. Period.  This issue is closed.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.