Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ethernet Switches

Craig K9CT
Craig K9CT Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in New Ideas
I decided to go to wired ethernet in my shack at both home and the contest station. You will easily tap out most routers and need a remote switch to add capacity. 

The discussion about routers also has a parallel with ethernet switches. You will find that the Maestro will not work with some and will work with others. 

I can tell you for sure that the Trendnet TEG-S80g will not work....if it does, it won't after a period of time. The NETGEAR GS-108 works every time. 

I mention this only because some of you are going to pull your hair out and wonder why you can't see the wired connection. I am sure others will chime in with their suggestions as well. 

I originally had the Maestros doing WiFi and got a way with it but there is so much traffic in the contest station shack on WiFi, I decided to eliminate a possible problem. On Palmyra, we had a WiFi router to network all the computers for logging in N1MM and I was concerned about adding the Maestros to the WiFi....however, it worked. We kept that network off the internet.

Keep in mind that the Maestro has two IP addresses. One for WiFi and one for wired ethernet. It is easy to get a conflict and you should consider reserving the IP address for each important device on the network. 

73, Craig K9CT

Comments

• Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Quote: "Keep in mind that the Maestro has two IP addresses. One for WiFi and one for wired ethernet. It is easy to get a conflict and you should consider reserving the IP address for each important device on the network."

This just solved my problem! Outstanding Craig...thanks for your help and experience!

• Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited June 2016
    Phew, glad to hear it!  I bought a Netgear GS-105 (the 5 port version of the GS-108) in anticipation of running my Maestro, PC and 6500 on the same network.  Maestro has yet to arrive but I would have been mortified if I had bought a troublesome Ethernet switch!  Good job I didn't go on price...there were a number of cheaper alternatives
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited March 2017
    I guess ill find out if the TP-Link one i bought a couple of weeks back will work or not...
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have my Flex-6500 wired using a Cisco SG200-08 Gigabit Smart Switch.  My Maestro has been working great both wired and via WIFI.  No issues so far after a full 24 hours of tests....

Cal/N3CAL
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    For what it's worth, we use the DHCP from our local router here at the FlexRadio office without issue.  In other words, both the wired and wireless interfaces in Maestro are all set dynamically from the router without incident.  The only time we use static DHCP is when the developers prefer to use a numerical address for their equipment and have it always be the same.  
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    When I originally had my wifi issue, I plugged my Maestro into a old 1GB Netgear switch.  It's the same switch as my 6700 is plugged into.  Maestro seemed to work OK but I did notice that after some time I had 12 dropped packets.  It was probably hooked up this way for about 15 minutes or so.  I can run the 6700 with my computer (plugged into the same Netgear switch) for hours and never get even 1 dropped packet.  So Craig is correct, some switches will not work as well with Maestro.  Once I fixed my wifi issue, I get less dropped packets with wifi as I do with wired Ethernet to the old Netgear switch.  The switch is at least 7 years old so I am planning to replace it anyway.  I was just surprised to see any dropped packets since I never see any on my computer running SSDR. 
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    TP-Link TL-SG1005D here. Works 365/7/24 here without any problems.
    Alex - DH2ID
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    Sweet i have the 5 port version of it. FB with the Maestro then? All of my cables are already cat6 for better shielding so not expecting issues there.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Here is a great Contesters shack tip.. the Netgear GS-116(the 16 port version for a few bucks more) works great as well and actually has a unique bonus, a chassis ground lug on it. 

Bonding is good.  :-).

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    ..and actually has a unique bonus, a chassis ground lug on it

Metal cases that can be grounded (Faraday cages) are worth their weight in steel and aluminium.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Running one here.. Netgear GS-116, gigabit internal network.. ZERO issues and it's grounded...  Between the main Router (in the main room) and the GS-116 (in the shack) I have a pair of TP-LINK MC200CM Fiber gigabit connection... 

73's

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.