Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ethernet connection from flex 6600m to my pc

KB4OIF
KB4OIF Member ✭✭
Good morning.  My question is that I have my 6600M connected to my router and the router is connected to my PC.  Does it make any difference if it goes directly to my PC from the flex or is there no difference.  

Answers

• David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Mine is connected the same way and it works fine.

73 - David, AG4F
  • Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    No difference
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    It depends. If you have good cables, and an adequate router or switch, it makes absolutely no difference. However, with a router or level 3 switch capable of DHCP (providing an IP address) in the middle, you will put your Flex in the position of easily being able to talk to the outside world for updates and remote access. Having a radio directly connected to a PC makes it harder to have the radio talk to the outside world.

In the end, it is much better to use a switch or router in the middle - much more flexible.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Depend if you’re gonna use smart link, will not be good
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks everyone.  That is what I thought.  
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I would add this part,,, My Flex is connected to my WIFi network. I do this with a Cisco Bridge.. My Bridge has 4 100Mb inputs,, so I also feed things like my Ethernet input from my Icom R8600 and other devices like my Geochron 4K Digital Clock..

My desk top computer is connected directly, hardwired, to the router, router is connected to my Docsis 3.1 cable modem.. Router has Dual Band.. When I take my dedicated to Ham Radio, Lenovo laptop, Windows 10, into the backyard, I connect it by WiFi at 5Gig, and since my Flex and Laptop share the same network, it all works fine..

Processor Speed in both the Computer and the Internals of the router are important,,, You need a Fast WiFi Router, Good Strong Coverage on both bands,,, and since my Printers, Bridges, Yamaha Stereo, Sony TV's, Security are also sharing the same WIFi network, as are my families Cell Phones, iPads and the list goes on... 

Even if thing are directly wired,, to a WiFi router, speeds can be affected if you have heavy WiFi traffic..  Today's newest WiFi routers are very Fast, drastically improved processing speeds along with much better WiFi coverage in your home.. Starting at the $150.00 range,, replacing that 10 year old router may be a good investment... After all,,, We are all waiting with batted breath for a WIFi connected TOILET!!!! LOL

Robert 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-dual-band-wi-fi-5-router-black/1754208.p?skuId...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-x6s-ac4000-tri-band-wi-fi-5-router-black/6156904.p?sk...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.