Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Error in KV decoder, or no KV decoder present

YV5WZ
YV5WZ Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in Third-Party Software
I installed WSJT-X new 1.5 ....Now I get a message every single minute "Error in KV decoder, or no KV decoder present"  ..I have uninstalled and reinstalled  3 times......same error message

George
YV5WZ 

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    You may want to check the WSJT Yahoo group for support; this is not likely a Flex issue. The KVASD install does require a license agreement, and for Mac OS, some terminal commands. You may need Administrative permissions in Windows and/or installing the software outside the "usual" Program Files folder.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I agree. WSJT 1.5 works for me on SSDR so I would start looking at WSJT and Windows.
  • Richard Simpson
    edited September 2015
    I had the same problem installing WSJT-X on my Flex 1500. After trying everything suggested on the internet, I found the solution. Create an empty file named KVAST.BAT and place it in the in directory where you installed the WSJT-X executable. 

Rick
    K3IND

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Wonderful Solution.....!!!! I did......and  ....It really works!!

Thanks!!

George
    YV5WZ
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Your solution only tells WSJT-X that there is an executable whereas in my wsjtxin folder lives kvasd.exe. It was downloaded during installation
    of WSJT-X 1.5.

In Jim Taylor's words it is

...an implementation of the the Koetter-Vardy algebraic soft-decision decoder for the Reed Solomon (63,12) code....

A word about the Reed–Solomon error correction here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed%E2%80%93Solomon_error_correction

I have it and run it. To see whether it improves decoding I really should
    do a double-blind test with and without it :-)

73, Alex DH2ID
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Quick update - the server hosting the KV Decoder went down, so the installation of a new version would fail. Once the download is available again (it is not included in the WSJTX distribution), installation should work normally.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.