Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

error fpga fan speed

123457»

Answers

• Douglas Maxwell
    Douglas Maxwell Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Gene, my 6500 was opened up before, approx 2 years ago to reattach the active heatsink to the FPGA, it was also cleaned out at that stage. This time there was only a light dusting over the blades, but 1 hours effort for peace of mind was worth it for me. There are 4 fans visible when you open the underside of the 6500, 2 large fans on either side that you can see from the outside and 2 fans within the rf screen box which you can't see from the outside. The ones in the rf screen box are mini fans mounted within heatsinks that are "stuck" onto the Xilinx virtex 6 FPGA and the TI Da Vinci processor chips.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    Douglas Maxwell Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Gene, my 6500 was opened up before, approx 2 years ago to reattach the active heatsink to the FPGA, it was also cleaned out at that stage. This time there was only a light dusting over the blades, but 1 hours effort for peace of mind was worth it for me. There are 4 fans visible when you open the underside of the 6500, 2 large fans on either side that you can see from the outside and 2 fans within the rf screen box which you can't see from the outside. The ones in the rf screen box are mini fans mounted within heatsinks that are "stuck" onto the Xilinx virtex 6 FPGA and the TI Da Vinci processor chips.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    So does the 6700 have Two CPU's and Two FPGA's with a fan on each ( 4 Fans) 
    or just Two Fan's to cool the CPU's and FPGA's

Seem we know there are only Two Fans for the CPU/FPGA on the 6500,
    asking does the Fan Count go up by twice  ?  Four Fan's ?? for the 6700

From what I hear, but not sure from Steve only Two of these fans 
    on CPU/FPGA for Flex6300, Flex6500 and Flex6700

Not Counting any side Fan's just those needed for CPU's and FPGA's
  • Mike_WB8CXO
    Mike_WB8CXO Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    My 6700 has been on 24/7 since 2013, no problems... also touching wood!  :)
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited September 2017
    Each radio has one CPU, one FPGA, one fan on each (two total).
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Douglas
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I pulled the bottom cover on the 6500 here and peeked in the EMI cage to be sure the fans were secure. I've taken this radio backpacking, portable and  mobile - the fans look to be stuck in place pretty well. Didn't pull the cover as the portion under the bracket looks like it would be a lot of fun to get it all lined up. Should a fan replacement be required I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Blew out some dust using the recommended procedure. On the chassis fans had to use a brush to loosen the dirt. 
    Radio is over 2 years old, has many hours on it and NO problems at all.

Thanks of the interesting information and also a special thanks to Eric for  putting the fan order together.  I'm in for several. I have a '76 Camaro that the thermal vacuum trip valve in the carb filter snorkle cost like $5 back in the day. Today that little plastic piece will set you back $200, if you're lucky enough to find one. Will stock some fans just to be safe!

Regards All,
    TiM

• Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Well, On the list for 4 fans from Eric K2CB, just as insurance
    if ever needed or if FRS runs out !
    Thanks Eric !
    73 Mike
    WB6DJI

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The TOTAL number of FANS varies by 6xxx model per the "help desk."  See snapshot below about the fan cleaning process. 

But all models have 2 fans inside the cage which are the ones Eric / K2CB is offering. One for the CPU and one for the FPGA.   I ordered 2 and figured if I have to remove the cage to replace one, might as well replace them both.   (although the only error I've seen reported is the FPGA error so wonder if there is a CPU error as well or do both get reported as the same FPGA error)

@Eric, what about replacements for the other fans?   Should there also be a supply of the other one (1) or two (2) main cooling fans at the front of the chassis?   Assume they are a different model, is that correct?

I haven't seen much about the failure rate for them or whether they generate any specific error codes.   But in a few posts there have been references like  "FRS replaced all 4 of my fans."    

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
    Win10

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The engineering sample arrived Friday. It is a full drop in replacement. Same OEM manufacturer, same wire color coding and connector, same heat sink, and the same thermal adhesive pad. The only difference is the bearing technology, as the oem no longer offers the older style design. I am told the Hypro bearing is better, but I'm no fan design expert! Most will opt to just unscrew and swap the fans, but for the purist, this is a complete replacement. No cutting corners. See pics below. For those who preordered, I expect the fan order to arrive here Wednesday, and they should be in the mail and on the way to you by Friday. Watch for your shipment notification email. For those who may wish to purchase fans in the future, I will have a limited stock on hand for $20 each, plus $10 flat rate shipping in the US. Inquire for shipment rates outside the US. If you think you want to purchase a fan, don't wait too long, as I don't foresee ordering another 100 fans anytime soon! Thank you to everyone who preordered and made this possible! Eric K2CB imageimageimageimageimage
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thank you sir for all your effort on this. It will be a lot of work for you to package and sent all these out and I for one appreciate all your effort for us Flex owners.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited January 2020

UPDATE-

The fans arrived yesterday, and were shipped out to everyone last evening.  Everyone should have received their tracking notification emails by now, and those in the US should expect delivery by Saturday. Outside the US, allow a week or two.

Thanks again to everyone who participated and made this "group buy" possible.

For those who missed out, I have approximately 8 fans left at this point in time.  $20 each plus $10 shipping. Once they are gone, that's it! 

Eric

K2CB

imageimageimage
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks!
  • Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Eric,

I would like to purchase one please?

Thank you
    Larry
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited September 2017
    Email me direct. k2cb@comcast.net
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited September 2017
    As of this afternoon, the fans are sold out. Should there be significant interest in the future, I'll consider another pre-order list. Once again, thank you to all who participated. Eric K2CB
  • Terry K7NY
    Terry K7NY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Eric, great job. I received mine today.
    Terry
    K7NY
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Eric - I received mine today.  Many thanks for your efforts.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    They work perfectly. Thank you Eric.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.