Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

error fpga fan speed

Options

Answers

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Seems like more than one fan issue.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would be in for a few I would take up to 8. or even more if I have to. I am sure if they are the correct fan having a few of them around could help others when they have the problem.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'd go for two for sure.
  • Manuel - W4SSB
    edited August 2017
    Options
    2 for me
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm in for 3 myself on a bulk purchase.

Lew - N4CO

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

If there is enough interest, I'd be willing to buy a large enough quantity and split it up for a small markup for the trouble.

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Better yet, any interest in a packaged kit with all four fans for the 6000 series radios?
  • Gastonet
    Gastonet Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Like many of you I would like to have one or two fans in reserve. If one of the fans on my 6500 died today I would be looking at 4+ weeks, round trip shipping and a hefty charge from FRS :(
    A few things to consider:
    1.  Probably over $300 dollars for 20 fans shipped.  Since this would be a special order from Mouser there would probably be no return.
    2.  According to Mouser this would be a compatible fan but for our purposes it would have to be an exact match.  I would not be in a financial position to take this risk.

The front fans are completely different - 80mm.  They would be very easy to replace and they would not cause the radio to shut down if there was a failure.

I will try and contact Mouser today and see if a data sheet is available on the replacement fan.

It would be great if FRS would be willing to sell this fan - perhaps if enough of us bug them.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I bet if FRS took a little time with some clever CNC machining of aluminum or copper a one piece chunk of heatsink could be made to fit over both chips inside the cage that would have more than enough mass to dissipate the heat from both chips. Then we would never have to worry about those fans or the dust they accumulate.
    They could sell as a retrofit kit.
    Well I guess it's just a dream....

Anyway look forward  to getting my 6600M!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The radio will not boot without the case fans running.
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Who controls the firmware startup sequence? FRS software. Amazing how quiet they can be when they want to be.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

As part of the "Retrofit" flex would modify the firmware in the radio to accommodate the heat sink. And if the temperature sensors are not in the chips themselves they would have to just relocate an external sensor to the heatsink.

This is very doable and is what they have done with the new radios.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If they fix this problem, they won't sell as many new radios.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I just tested my 6500 with both case fans (those at the front of the case) and the radio booted quite nicely with both fans unplugged.
    The CPU fans on the bottom of the case will nor boot unless they are running
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think the rigs got larger because they had to accommodate the Maestro front panel. They used common components between the M and non M radios so they are all the same size.  Larger fans are quieter too.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It is sad, this is a simple question but Flex choose not to reply to it.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Scott did you read that I have the newer one ordered. I can trade in my 6300 on it today but then I do not have a rig to use for months. Flex is never on-time for their releases so if they say its going to be a couple of months it will be 6 haha. 

If you want after I get it you are welcome to take it apart and look it over. 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Just a guess but maybe FRS legal advisers told them not to respond because of possible law suits relating to the issue?

It would **** if a simple fan renders these radio not repairable because of a $12 part!
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'd definitely like to see that.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Probably right about that Del. I'd like to upgrade, but I will wait a while after they are out to see what crops up with them. I'm just disappointed at this problem. After cleaning mine of what little dust there was, I tried booting it a dozen times before it fired up and haven't shut if off since. They told me they replaced all three fans when I had it in. They did fix the power output issue, which I had since I bought it. The antenna tuner works well. Noise blanker still sucks, even with the version 2 software. I guess I won't even consider the new one until I get to see yours.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Scott, What has been the end result after talking to Flex, were do things stand at the moment as far as any problems you have..
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    They handled it well the first time around. I may have to do it in again before the warranty runs out for the fan issue again. But after that, it's a hard pill to swallow if I have to send it in for a couple hundred bucks each time after that.
  • Manuel - W4SSB
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks Steve. For those of us that feel comfortable changing the fan can you please provide us with a part number as the current fan has been discontinued.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This is a relief to read, I was very uncomfortable with the silence from Flex on this issue. 

Still did not get the part numbers that are available and compatible and recommended for the Flex fan replacements. Will Flex sell them to us or do we buy them from other sources? 

I would be willing to pay for a little video of showing the correct way of doing this repair and re assembling the rig correctly. 

I want to say thank you for the engineer taking the time to put this reply together for us. I myself was getting so paranoid that I only would turn the rig on for nets and when I was going to activity operate, I stopped monitoring just in the background and I really enjoy list listening when I am doing my paperwork in my office / shack. If the parts are available then I will be able to relax and just enjoy the rig again. I will not ever leave it on 24/7 again, I just do not need to, why risk it?
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options

First I would like to say my comments may have been a bit harsh and would like to apologize if I was out of line, I may have just got caught up in the heat of the moment. But like many other flex owners this is due to the lack of response which if left UN-answered can lead to all kinds of speculation and conjecture. We would just like more transparency and more more timely responses to these types of issues after all what is the point of having a User Group Site if we are just on our own, we can use yahoo groups for that.

Now you cant please everyone but in this case please understand that your customers have invested a lot of money in your company and have even given you money (deposits) for products that are not even available and good communication is the minimum we ask.

Clearly looking at this thread there is a problem with these chip coolers, weather it is the fault of the fan manufacture of the fans or a mistake in the design by relying too much on these fans to allow the radio to operate there is a problem, technology is not perfect and neither are humans.

It seems to be that you realized that this was a flaw and that's why in the new radios the chips are cooled passively.

So for those people that want to DIY repair on their own simply Sell the replacement fan OR Give the part number for the fan and add a disclaimer letting the user know that they do this repair at their own risk and any damage to the radio as a result may make the radio not repairable or very expensive to do so, witch it looks like you kind of said in your last reply.

The other option is one I have suggested “If FRS took a little time with some clever CNC machining of aluminum or copper a one piece chunk of Heatsink could be made to fit over both chips inside the cage that would have more than enough mass to dissipate the heat from both chips without fans. Then we would never have to worry about those fans or the dust they accumulate.”

Yes I understand the Tach issue but that can be handled in the radios firmware and the temp sensor can be dealt with as well. This would be a “Factory Upgrade Only” that can NOT be done by the end user.

You would charge for this service and I'm sure everyone would be more than happy to pay for it knowing that this eliminates a problem and makes the radio even better than it was to begin with.

Consider this a hardware upgrade sort of like what Elecraft has done with it’s optional Heatsink Upgrade for the KX3 see here :http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740254%20KX3HSMDKT%20Heat%20Sink%20Installation%20rev%20A.pdf

Let me end by saying this I love my Flex and wouldn't want any other radio in my shack and that's why I have a 6600M on order. Again I apologize for some of my miss placed comments with that said FlexRadio is In my opinion the best radio available today hands down!
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have been conversing directly with the manufacturer (Adda). If I buy a large enough quantity, I can offer them for around $14 each. This is for the exact replacement APO-0512HX-J96 Hypro bearing version. Supposedly an improvement over the HB ball bearing version, and can be used for both CPU fans. BTW, can someone provide me with the exact part number and/or a picture of the two case fans? If you have interest, let me know how many you would want, so I can get an idea as how many to order. The more I order the better the pricing may be. If there is sufficient interest, I can put together a four fan package deal. Eric K2CB k2cb@comcast.net
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Scott if I was you I would contact them now tell them the problem and get it sent in. I have that Icom 7100 You can barrow. Its a spare rig so I do not want to sell it but that way you would not be off the air while the Flex is gone.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think I can speak for most when I say we thank you for giving us some answers. Having dealt with similar setups in computers and other electronics, I have worked with heatsink adhesives and rf cages before. Those who haven't should consider sending in their radios for repair for the exact reasons you mentioned. If mine dies again soon, I'll send it back in while I still have warranty left. It would be the second time for fan issues. You certainly confirmed most of my thoughts on this, so again, thank you for the information.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.