Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Erratic behavior of Noise Blanker and Noise Reduction - buttons

Ken - VE5KC
Ken - VE5KC Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Has anyone else noticed this?

- SmartSDR does not always remember the last state of the NB & NR buttons.

- Sometimes when SmartSDR starts or when you change bands or open a new slice, the NB and/or NR buttons will be blue, indicating they are turned on. However, I am hearing a lot of noise, like the function is not turned on, which is sometimes the case.

Click the NB & NR buttons off and on again. Now the NB and/or NR ... are blue and the noise is gone or reduced - they are now working.

It can happen with either the NB or NR and sometimes both.

- NR button may be active and working, however clicking it off and then back on and sometimes it will do a better job of reducing noise. (making receiver more quiet)

SmartSDR v1.43
Flex 6500
Windows 8.1
i7 Quad Core CPU, 8GB RAM, 2GB Nvidia graphics card card

73..  Ken - VE5KC

Answers

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've noticed something kinda opposite of that - if I have NR/NB (either/or/both and I'm adjusting the sliders, toggling one or the other on/off, adjusting some more, (etc), eventually the audio goes almost silent like I turned the volume to zero.

Then, if I turn both NR/NB off, it resets it back to the standard volume level and I can turn them back on and start adjusting the sliders again.  I don't remember the exact pattern I was doing to reproduce it, but if flex needs more info, I can try to document what I was doing.

-Robbie

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Burt, there did change that in that now the speed setting on CWX is identical to speed on the right hand side dialog, they used to be independent of each other. I believe they should be in synch.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    NR and NB and ANF improvements (Science Projects) are slated to be part of Version 1.5

But if someone else is able to confirm this behavior and/or it is not a design feature Tim might add it to the bug tracker.

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I can confirm it, I just started up ssdr after a reboot of everything (needed to install a few windows patches), NR was enabled (blue) on a slice after startup but it wasn't really NR-ing anything. Toggled it off and on, problem resolved.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Walt,
    I think that is the default when V1.4.3 is installed but you can change it.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    NB has had that ADD-like behavior for a while, IMHO...sure hoping the 'science project' pans out..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.