Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Equipment enclosure

Mark WS7M
Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
The 6000 series radios are so good remote that I'm considering relocating my radio and amp to a shed which is just 20 feet from my antenna feed point.

While the shed is basically indoors and insulated I have seen quite a few spiders and other bugs in there.

So I'm wondering about an enclosure of some time that would protect the gear somewhat but still let it ventilate.  Obviously it won't be perfectly bug tight as cables need to get in/out. 

Anybody dealing with remote gear and bug prevention, enclosures, etc?  Suggestions and guidance would be appreciated!

Mark - WS7M

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Get some slats and window screening and make a cage.
  • Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited December 2016

A less expensive cure would be to set off a "bug bomb" whenever the temperature gets above about 50 degrees.

W6WRT

• Craig McVeay
    Craig McVeay Member
    edited December 2017
    Hey Mark, take a look at the SKB Studio Flyer or a similar cases from other places.  I use one of them for an ARES Go Box.  The nice thing about them is that they are set up for standard 19" racks so the rack adapters for the Flex lets you bolt it right in.  For the Flex, I'd consider cutting holes for ventilation and covering them with something like window screen.  Some silicon or RTV around the cable holes should keep the cooties out of the box.

Craig
    N0CSM
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You can find plenty of NEMA cabinets, both metal and plastic - you can get fans with tight screens and feedthroughs for power, and ethernet - even signal connectors for RS-232 if you need them. - just add a few bulkhead feed-thrus for your RF connectors and its all done.  No spidee's will get into that.

A 5 or 8 thousand dollar radio is worth a few hundred $ in a nice sealed cabinet.

Bud makes this stuff and you can probably even buy it on Amazon.   If it is already inside a shack, you can get the lower-grade boxes that will be cheaper.  They do not have the rain-resistant baffles 

Cheers and have some fun !

• Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    Don't know the dimensions of your amp, or potential heat load, but a wall or desk mounted NEMA enclosure with ventilation fans and filters might work.  You could go cheaper or with a different brand, but here is an example. I have no affiliation with these folks, this example is designed for outdoor use and is ventilated.  http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/Great_Lakes_NEMA_12_Type_Wallmount.asp

An indoor possibility: https://www.grainger.com/product/TRIPP-LITE-Wall-Mount-Rack-Enclosure-WP5877592/_/N-qp0/Ntt-nema+12+...

If you can rack mount your gear, you can find a relatively easy solution to keep it sheltered, filtered, even environmentally stabilized - AC/heat/humidity.  Don't forget to measure your gear and cable arrangement carefully to make sure it will fit and figure out how the cabinet will be cooled running legal limit power during a summer  RTTY contest weekend. 

Mickey N4MB
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have extensive hilltop and remote station experience. professional microwave sites either use standard open chatsworth 2 pillar racks or the standard closed 42u cabinets.  Spiders and bugs generally avoid the equipment..  but do get into crevices and corners of the racks.  good pest control is always helpful.  There will be bugs.. and possibly wasps. radio will be ok.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thank you all.  Good advice in all aspects.

I'm always torn on what is the right thing to do.  Currently my gear is almost 150 feet from my antenna feed point.  I've calculated, depending upon frequency like 25 to 35 watt loss over that distance.

Logically I'd like to remote my SPE 1KA to be about 25 feet from the antenna.  I control it over RS-232 anyway and it has a very good tuner in it.

I'd like to keep my Flex near me as I use the amp most of the time.  I don't run a lot of power, I tend to keep my flex running about 5 watts driving the amp which causes it at half power setting to run about 120 watts.   I see this as kind of a way to preserve my Flex finals.

Anyway I'm undecided but figure I need to do something.

Mark - WS7M

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.