Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

EQ on DIgital

Steven Catani
Steven Catani Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I use my 6500 on MARS nets where we send both voice and digital traffic
When on these nets I put the radio on DAX and use the wonderful feature that when you key via PTT it switches to whatever mic is selected. This is very convienent. The ony issue is I dont want eq on digital channels  and a wind up having t remember to shut it off and put it back on when switching backand foth... this greatly reduces the benefit of an otherwise awesome way to operate.

I have one work around I have thought about, but it is not elegant. I could put an external equalizer on the mic and leave the internal equalizer set to off. I have a little mixer I could do this with... Feels like their should be a better way.

I also thought of a software fix... if the equalizer panel that two switches for TX  Tx PTT and Tx Cat you could have different setting for digital and voice.

Someone else must have had this issue so I thought I would ask the experts on the net.

Steve

Answers

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Steve why don't you use different TX profiles for different modes ?
  • Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Steve, I too am MARS, are you using a SCS modem for pactor, having trouble setting my DR 7400 up.
  • Steven Catani
    Steven Catani Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I am not using an SCS Mdem, just ms-dmt and fldigi
  • Steven Catani
    Steven Catani Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Lee,

I don't switch modes... just leave it on USB. is there a way to have it use one mode for cat ppt and another for the noral ptt
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    EQ is automatically bypassed on DAX
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015

Romac is a software equalizer that can be used on the client computer to eliminate the need for any hardware equalizer used in place of the SDR equalizer. That method, would also, be a work around.

Jim, K6QE

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard that is what I thought as well.
  • Steven Catani
    Steven Catani Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    It doesnt appear so on my radio...  will check again
  • Steven Catani
    Steven Catani Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Howard and Lee

it is definatly in play on my Radio... if i sitgh in on and off i wee it effect the audio signal on the pan adapter while sending MT-63.

Steve n2tao
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I Beg to differ, at least on the 6300, when I use Dax for xmitting EasyPal (for example) SSTV, the eq is still on during txmit, I have to shut off the eq to alleviate the drop in a certain range in the tx response. It may not be as much of a problem in the narrower bw modes, but with the broader modes it becomes much more apparent.
  • Chuck - KJ6HT
    Chuck - KJ6HT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Steve,

I use the 6500 for MARS as well. The best solution I have come up with is to open 2 slices on the same frequency. I set one up optimized for digital and the other for voice. The one set up for digital should use DIGU and the receive bandwidth adjusted as needed. The AGC-T can be set to OFF or FAST and wide open, whatever works best for you. Select the appropriate DAX channel on this slice as well. Because it is DIGU the PROC, DEXP and EQ are disabled. You can then mute this slice so you do not hear all the band noise. The voice slice can be set for USB and all configured PROC, DEXP and EQ settings are active. You can then adjust receive bandwidth and AGC-T for comfortable listening.

This allows me to quickly switch between the two modes by simply clicking TX in the appropriate flag depending on which mode I want to use.

The only issue that can not be addressed with this method is the transmit bandwidth, that is not set by slice, for MARS I set this to 100 LOW and 3100 HIGH as required by some of the digital modes.

Once you have this setup, you can save it as a global profile. I have multiple global profiles setup by frequency. This makes band changes very quick and easy.

• Steven Catani
    Steven Catani Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Chuck

Thanks.... good suggestion.  I would love to be able to use the PTT DAX override... It does work on the line input as well, I just tested it, and with an external mixer I can avoid having to do anything to switch slices... I do like the ability in your method to set the agc-t at different levels for digital and voice. For me it only suffers from having to switch tx back and forth and having to change two slices to qsy.

very nice to have so many options

Steve / n2tao
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I assume that you were using DIGIU or DIGL with DAX  for DIGITAL MODES in which case MOST DEFINITELY EQ is disabled.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    The EQ is bypassed on DIGx modes regardless if PTT is asserted and you are using the override function to operate voice when in DIGx.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ok I got it half right. :)  I knew I read something about DAX and EQ so its Digi and EQ which actually makes a lot more sense.
  • N1UW
    N1UW Member
    edited December 2016

Can someone send me the settings in MS-DMT to use with my 6500?  I am not using the AMT.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.