Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

EQ Always Active?

Geoff AB6BT
Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
If the EQ button is enabled (Blue) the EQ is active on received signals whether the RX button is enabled or disabled.

Is that correct? 

I would expect that if the RX button is disabled the the EQ would likewise be disabled for received signals.

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The RX and TX are seperate. You turn them off and on as you want.  So when you set the EQ on or off,,for what? RX or TX?
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I understand that there are two buttons RX and TX for the EQ.

If neither the RX or the TX buttons are enabled the EQ (Enabled) is still operational on received signals.

It does not matter if the RX button is blue or gray.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It is remembering what your last setting is. Try this.
    Press the on button, if the RX starts even when the RX is grayed out,,press the TX on and off. or leave the TX on Now try the on button,,the RX should stay off till you enable it again.
    It is working as designed.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'll try that but if that is how it was designed it is not very intuitive.

I would expect that if the RX button is off then the received EQ should be off. I shouldn't have to remember what the last setting was. The visual feedback of the button being off implies that the function is off. 

That makes the most sense to me, on is on and off is off.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I guess I don't understand the point of having the RX and TX buttons in the EQ section if the state of the button does not reflect whether the respective EQ is active or not.

Can someone explain the logic here?
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Is this in Smart SDR or Maestro/"M" Model?
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    SmartSDR latest version, 2.3.9, radio is a 6400.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Here's how it works:

Three buttons:

Top - ON/OFF (for the TX/RX equalizer selected) - BLUE=ON, GREY=OFF
         (only the wording ON is shown when the equalizer is ON or OFF, the color indicating the
          ON/OFF status)
    Middle - RX equalizer displayed when BLUE
    Bottom - TX equalizer displayed when GREY

(The bottom and middle buttons only toggle which equalizer is displayed, not the state.  That's done with the ON button.)

So, to turn RX ON/OFF, click on the RX button until it turns BLUE, then click the the ON button until it turns blue, and the RX equalizer is enabled; click on the ON button to make it grey to turn the RX equalizer OFF.

The TX equalizer works the same as the RX equalizer, but you click the TX button until it's blue, then toggle the equalizer ON/OFF by making the ON button BLUE for ON or GREY for OFF.

There does, however seem to be a bug in the operation of the buttons: You can actually make both the RX and TX buttons GREY at the same time, at which point you don't know which equalizer you have selected, thus your confusion (actually the last equalizer selected before you greyed out the button is displayed).  I don't think it was always this way.  As I recall in the past, the RX and TX buttons were mutually exclusive.  In other words RX was BLUE and TX was GREY, OR TX was BLUE and RX was GREY, but both buttons were never GREY simultaneously.

Someone at Flex needs to put this into the bug tracker for resolution.

(Another way to do it would be to have a single ON button and a single RX/TX button that would change its wording to either RX or TX as it is toggled.)

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Greg, thank you for taking time to provide a detailed explanation. I don't believe this information is in the Software User Guide. If it is, it wasn't clear to me.

This all make perfect sense once you explained it but it is not the way I expected it to work. In addition I wondered why, when the EQ button was blue, that both RX and TX could be gray. The state is definitely confusing. 

So, yes, the RX and TX buttons should be mutually exclusive , and perhaps both gray when the EQ button is gray.

Having a single RX/TX button would be easier to understand intuitively.

• Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I'm confused.  You say you have an "EQ" button.  In V2.3.9 I only see ON, RX, & TX.  Are you referring to the "ON" button as EQ by chance?
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You have to remember that the RX and TX buttons are only there to select the displayed equalizer.  They don't change or display the active state of either equalizer.  The ON button does that (BLUE or GREY).
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yes, sorry, I'm not looking at the screen, it's in a different location. I am referring to the ON button, not EQ button.

I fully understand after your clarification.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I think what confused me the most was the state where both RX and TX are gray. That state should be disallowed.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I agree, and that's why I hope someone from Flex reads this thread and enters this defect in the bug tracker,  Unfortunately, we haven't seen Tim on here recently, and he's the person who usually entered such bugs.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The reason this came up was that I noticed that I could change the EQ with the ON button blue but with the RX button gray or blue.

Again, thanks for your insight.

Just another detail to straighten out...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I was informed that Flex has taken a new approach to the community. I don't think they will respond to questions as they have in the past. Or not so soon.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    What did you hear is the right/new channel for questions like this? Some other discussion group?

Thanks and 73
    Andy
    KU7T
  • Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    "I was informed that Flex has taken a new approach to the community. I don't think they will respond to questions as they have in the past. Or not so soon."

That sounds like a step backwards to me-- If this is in fact true-- it will not be good!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.