Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Enjoying the 5000

I have had my 5000 for about 9 months and I am still fascinated with it's versatility and capability.  This is the best ham equipment I have ever been lucky enough to own.  I run CW much of the time and it works fine with the delay set at 200ms, a personal preference.  It works for me with delay in the 50ms range, probably lower but not important to me.

My HP Pavilion (2008) needed some work to reduce DPC's but easy and has been very stable and I added an SSD to boot faster.  Also the computer is dedicated to the 5000 without games or other nonsense.

So, the 5000 station works great.  No issues and will be here until I can manage a 6xxx. 

No one should discount the capability of the 5000. Yes, it's legacy, PSDR is mature, but for the money on the used market it can't be beat in my opinion. 

Comments

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    More power to ya! I'm not going to diss the 5000, I'm using the 1500!!

I easily solved all the CW "issues" with the 1500 by simply turning off VAC and taking the audio straight from the 1500 when using CW.

All these rigs are great!

Of course time marches on and everything improves.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Lionel, nine months is the gestation period for Flex.  Now you're ready for a 6000 series.  :)

Seriously though, I agree with you.  My 5000 served me well.  It's a great radio and still more capable than most others on the market.  The new technology is great, and if it hadn't been for the dependence on Firewire, I may have put off buying my 6300 for a bit longer.  I had my 5000 back when CW latency was an issue - since then, I have run several CW contests on it without a hitch.

I see at some point that everyone with a Flex radio will be waiting for the rest of amateur radio to catch up.
  • Ken Akin
    Ken Akin Member
    edited February 2015
    Someday I'll move up to a 6700 (or whatever may follow), but I am using a dedicated PC with my 5000 (with the second receiver), and nothing short of a 6700 looks really atractive to me. 2 screens on the PC, PSDR on one, and FlDigi on the other. It works well for me.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.