Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Elmers and Alphas?

Steve G1XOW
Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
@Tim,

Outside of the USA, how many Alphas and Elmers are there please?   ...and what countries are they in?

From the EU side of the pond, it can sometimes feel like the rest of the world suffers from US border syndrome, so I am wondering what representation and input anyone is having outside of the US. For examples :-

-"FCC rules say"...FCC has no jurisdiction beyond US border!
-Trade-up programmes
-Competent service centres
-Band plans vs 60m in EU countries
-Ability to create, distribute and edit Turf files for EU countries
-Noise mitigation, QRN/QRM is not a global standard, my noise is not your noise.

@ALL please don't make this another FRS bashing thread. That is not what I want. I'm hoping for a better, more proportionate, and more global approach to service and support to EU/RoW customers, and stronger representation of their own local interests, operating practices, local conditions etc.

73 de Steve G1XOW

Answers

• Ray G3XLG
    Ray G3XLG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

I agree with you Steve about the possible FRS lack of technical assistance/repairs in the UK & Europe. However FRS are not alone in this USA-centric strategy. My Elecraft amplifier had to be sent to Italy (about £50 carriage) for repair, which was free & I know of a Flex 6500 that was sent to Germany for repair.

It  seems the UK importers for both radios (you know I mean) are not considered up to the job, no comment!

73 de Ray G3XLG

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Peter, I assume you failed to read the last paragraph?  Also, I'm asking for information that is not readily available, from Tim btw. Surely a public information request is still acceptable without someone trying to close it down in a needlessly defensive manner.

Tim: if you prefer please close this thread immediately and email me directly with the information I asked for to steve@g1xow.uk
  • Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited May 2017

Peter, I don't think it's an unreasonable question; we pay a premium for FRS products in Europe, and it would be nice to get assurance that we're being represented appropriately.  You may assume from the question that there's an impression that we don't feel as well represented as you are in North America (i.e W and VE).

Steve made it very clear in his final paragraph, that he didn't want it to descend in to a Flex-bashing thread.  So why not let the Community members (and Tim as moderator) have their say?  Paul M0CVX

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Flex has one person who develops an entire part of the ecosystem who lives in Europe. The new amplifier is developed by a European company as well. As far as TURFs and local support in Europe goes, they do that through the dealer network. So there is substantial European input into the products. I really don't think that Tim is going to "out" all of the alpha testers. Some choose to remain private. You CAN see who all the elmers are in the community member list. But Elmer doesn't equal alpha tester.
  • Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited May 2017

Thank you, Ria.  I always read your posts, and I respect the time and technical support that you devote to elmering. Not just that, but your Facebook posts were one of the few 'quality' offerings I could find on Hamvention/Xenia (jeepers! do companies not do digital marketing/social media that side of the pond?). Thank you.

That said, I still don't see evidence of a route for substantial European input to FRS products (lets take the amplifier out of here...that has little to do with 6xxx or SSDR development), and to be honest, it would be arrogant to assume there must be one.

However, if there is an FRS 'European advocate' it would be nice to know who she/he/they are so that we could communicate with them.

I'm grateful for all the elmers and alphas; thank you (and as Hughie Green often said, 'I mean that most sincerely').  Though it is a bit of a shame that the first person to try and close down Steve's thread was....an elmer.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your kind words. 

I'll leave the rest up to Tim and FRS, but I suspect they will point you to their international dealers and partners, who really should advocate on your behalf. Unlike the elmers and alpha testers, they have a financial relationship with the company so the company should also be listening to them. 
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

I’m sure that everyone will note you avoided answering the direct question asked. I guess the userbase and prospective purchases will form their own opinions as to why.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Actually I note Tim answered the questions within bounds of privacy and proprietary information.

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Maybe you need to read 1st paragraph again. I asked for numbers, not names or callsign etc no need for any hidding behind privacy
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I was cognizant of you're ask question on the initial read. My immediate thoughts where the answer involves proprietary data, at least in my view.
    So I still conclude you have the answers within the allowed parameters.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

@Steve G1XOW - None of use have any right to demand whatever information they might dream they want from any vendor, much less make such a demand in a public forum.  That's simply the facts of life,

Outside of the USA, how many Alphas and Elmers are there please?   ...and what countries are they in?
    I'd say that is pretty commercial and proprietary, as well as FRS long standing policy of not Identifying Alphas unless the Alpha makes themselves known.  You asked for country and count, which certainly could lead to identifying Alphas.
    From the EU side of the pond, it can sometimes feel like the rest of the world suffers from US border syndrome, so I am wondering what representation and input anyone is having outside of the US. For examples :-

Since the vast majority of the sales are stateside, yup.  As for input call up your UK dealer and have at it.  They are the localized face of FRS one would think.

-"FCC rules say"...FCC has no jurisdiction beyond US border!

The radios are made and mainly marketed in FCC land.  This shouldn't even need asking.

-Trade-up programmes

Everyone has been told to contact their home country's dealer network for any possible system.  What part is not clear?

-Competent service centres

The EU center is long established and while the UK eventually may have some post Brexit issues to work out, nothing has changed since your bought your radio. 

-Band plans vs 60m in EU countries

-Ability to create, distribute and edit Turf files for EU countries

Again nothing has changed, and localized TURF files are created as needed. 

-Noise mitigation, QRN/QRM is not a global standard, my noise is not your noise.

Then do something about your special noise.  Where are the screen/sound captures of what you hear/see, descriptive narratives, and what have you actually tried to mitigate "your special noise" so far?  Without factual information, preferable not emotively charged, helping you meet your noise-mitigation goals is impossible. 

Rather suspect similar questions posed of any of us probing about our business affairs would be similarly be left unanswered. 

It really seems more like your are trying to justify being upset over nothing, than address improving your station?

Steve K9ZW

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I’m sure that everyone will note you avoided answering the direct question asked. I guess the userbase and prospective purchases will form their own opinions as to why.
    No Steve, we are just noticing you're looking for the smallest thing to turn into controversy, We are all noticing. Just don't understand why you can't accept the plain and simple answer as to the privacy rights of those your asking about. You got your answer, you didn't like it and so you accuse Tim and others who have been nothing but helpful here of avoiding the direct question, and tainting prospective purchases. geez, You have absolutely no right to demand what your asking. Make something out of nothing, geez, how does that help the user base.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'm curious about the assumed responsibility of FlexRadio systems for European noise. 

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Gerald you should change your last comment to "will take a break" you all deserve it and also respect for those that have given. 73 and see you all back on Tuesday.image
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sometimes it's better to listen then to speak. The latter will reveal your true identity.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes, Monday is Memorial Day when we remember and honor the many who gave their lives and served across the pond from here.  Monday is about them - not us.
    Gerald
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Seemed like reasonable questions to me too It's always worried me that if my flex needed repair I would have to ship it out to Germany Both uk importers have dropped their prices on the remaining 6500 and 6300 stock today. Surprisingly for once not to the same level. Maybe the pound will rise against the dollar and euro after our general election or by the time the new radios are out. In the meantime I am upgrading my vhf amps on 2 4 and 6m now a GW amp manufacturer is undercutting spe and beko with some new k w. solid state amps. He is only two hours drive away if I have any problems with one and it cuts the middle dealer out
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Steve can you email me the GW amp mfg info?  k3ma@outlook.com
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Is that linear amp U.K.?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

By GW I think Wales is meant, and that most like would be Linear Amp UK in Montgomery, Powys.

Very neat part of the world!

Steve K9ZW

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Has linear amp actually started production? I inquired some months ago before I bought my SPE and was told that they aren't producing any yet due to their other amps selling well (due to GBP devaluation). Hopefully the exchange rate with the sterling remains favorable so that when they start producing 2m LDMOS amps we can pick them up for not much $.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Ria, did you look at the LDMOS amp in kit form from? http://rf-kit.de/en/2k_Kit.php 
    Dual pallets seem some nice overhead. But then I also like the sweet offer that Flex has on the PG with ATU for free!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    As a matter of fact I did. I even got a nice present from the crew at Xenia. image

I am getting a PGXL however. I want a SO2R amp. If they come out with a 2 meter kit I may spring for that but I'm already gathering parts to build one.

But the B26-PA is a very nice option. Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    imageimage
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited May 2017
    Yes its lin amp uk. They have brought out a 500w full duty 2m solid state pa after selling their initial 300w ones on 2m 70cms and a dual band 4m/6m one which i have used for three years. I should be taking delivery of their first 1.2kw 2m full duty pa in a few weeks. It is now on their website. The hf and 6m pa with lan support for flex is still being developed. A bigger 4/6m amp is likely to be out before that and i have just sold my 300w one this week ready for upgrading to give me the legal 400w at antenna full duty with plenty of headroom:-) They are very well designed and have very good filtering for clean tx.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.