Electric fence noise

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

Not trying to start WW-III, I just want to ask a simple question before re-purchasing a 6500 or 6700 radio.  With the newer versions of NB and WNB released ..Can anyone tell me first hand if the latest NB, or WNB for that matter, actually works to eliminate electric fence pulse noise?   No need to describe your success with other types of noise just want to hear from someone with electric fence pulse noise that indeed was resolved with the latest NB or WNB algorithm.

Regards,  Larry K1UO

Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 843 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Official Response
I live surrounded by them

NB-WNB combo removes it all .. inc on screen in the pandapter
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 843 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes

Thanks for the input Simon....  I have a fence that is very close to my 8 circle RX array and the fence is in a total sad state of repair.  Too much for me to offer to "fix" by myself.  I agree with Lee (below) A youtube video would be really appreciated if possible.

Regards

Larry  K1UO

(Edited)
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
Simon you should make a youtube video of that noise elimination.  It's an important feature

73  W9OY
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
I sure can Lee .. what do you normally use for screen capture of video??
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
I use a free program called OBS open broadcaster software.  Make one change:  under Broadcast Settings File Path change the .flv file type to in the path statement to .mp4  This will save the video as an MP4 file and will easily load to youtube.

73  W9OY
(Edited)
Photo of Cedric HB9HFN

Cedric HB9HFN

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
At my QTH I have some electric fences just 2 meters from my vertical antenna. I'm most successfull eliminating the pulses by using the NB. The WNB is not very good here!

73, Cedric HB9HFN
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 843 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes

thanks Cedric..  appreciate the info.  I'm starting to feel a bit better about the possibility of removing the pulses with the Flex NB system.   I still look forward to Simon creating a video showing this particular application of the NB system.

Regards

Larry  K1UO

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Really Cedric? I have yet to see nb do anything. NR yes, NB not so much.
Photo of Cedric HB9HFN

Cedric HB9HFN

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Yes. I have one pulse every second...
Photo of Mark - NU6X

Mark - NU6X

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
See my post "Audio distortion on TX to RX transition with NB". I have lived 15 years with electric fence noise and have experimented with many many different rigs. An important factor is how much distortion and buckshot is introduced in the presents of other strong signals on the band.  The current SmartSDR's NB is excellent, causing very little distortion other than what I am experiencing  in the above post. The WNB helps but does not work as well on my noise.  The other NBs that work well are the IC7800 and Drake R4C.