Echo Reported on 160 Mtrs With 6500

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
On several occasions I have been told that I have a slight echo when I'm operating on 160 mtrs.  I always use headphones when I operate, with the external speakers turned off.  This echo is only present on 160.  Reported latency is always right at 1ms.  Ideas\suggestions?  Thanks.  Roger/N5IFH
Photo of Roger Cole

Roger Cole

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 670 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
It sounds like you've got RF coming back at you.
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 222 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Had the same issue.  Did have to send back to Flex for a hardware mod which did help (6300).  I was only confident when I bonded all grounds together (shack, lightning arrestors and house/mains ground rods).
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 846 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
I'm with Bob, sounds like RFI.  Since the 6500 has balanced Mic input (at the XLR) the mod Bill refers to for 6300 won't be relevant, assuming it's the one to make the mic-signal path quasi-differential. R U using balanced mic?

If you can find someone close in perhaps decreasing RF output would help and then one would know this is the proper coarse of action.

k3Tim
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Echo in your transmitted audio is just about always an RFI issue.  Being only on one band nails it as RFI.  You have common mode RF currents coming in on your coax shield. You will probably need an unun on your coax.  Describing your antenna and coax runs should help provide some information we can use to suggest a possible fix.