Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DXLab Does Not Support SmartSDR v 3

Lawrence Libsch
Lawrence Libsch Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
     On Apr 2 Dave, AA6YQ,reported that DXLab does not support SmartSDR v3. This is of great concern for those of us who use DXLab and would otherwise wish to upgrade to SmartSDR v3.

Larry, K4KGG

Comments

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    DXLab will never support V3? in the future? Seems strange, this is something all 3rd party developers are needing to address.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    After reading that posting, sounds like someone is having a gripe because of the lack of support on the dongle, and issues he is having with using spots. As per the dongle, this is really old news. It is really sad no 3rd party developer has picked up the ball regarding the dongle. I have one.

As per 3.0 other developers have or will figure out how to use SmartLink to connect to a remote Flex 6XXX. Perhaps the DXLab user-base may start demanding it once 3.0 has been out there.

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The "issues I am having with spots" are the result of a defect in SmartSDR 2.4.9 that Flex has ignored for months. The correction has yet to appear in a SmartSDR release.

The Flex documentation for using SmartLink to connect to a remote 6XXX radio says "read our source code". When a Flex engineer can find 15 minutes to provide actual documentation, I'll consider supporting it. 

What's really sad is the increasingly sloppy approach to software engineering that Flex has been taking of late.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I do not mean to speak against the software at all, but as I mentioned in a previous thread when this topic came up, I use SliceMaster to display spots when I want to and do not experience any of the audio issues, I'll have to search an re-read to re-educate myself about the topic.  From my perspective it seems you are being nasty towards Flex for not holding your hand to guide you through these issues, while others have figured it out.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Dave I put a shoutout on the alpha reflector on this.  Thanks for your wonderful application I have been using for years now.
  • Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    "I have been using DXLab for many years and find its integration with the Flex radios quite valuable, probably more valuable than the new features in V3.0.  I would have a hard time upgrading if DXLab did not work with it."

Nothing reported as now in v3 gives me any cause to upgrade.

If SSDR won't work with DXLabs past v2, I probably never will upgrade. Since I don't fall in the "serious multi-op remote contester" category, I doubt anyone cares.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    DX Labs, Slice Master and CW Skimmer are an unbeatable combination. I will not use any version of SSDR where these packages could not function

If I was running FRS I would make an impressive offer to purchase the rights to these wonderful applications and incorporate them in all future versions of SSDR. That would be the smart move.

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The "display or delete too many spots causes audio perturbations" is an acknowledged SmartSDR defect. Yes,one can minimize the adverse effect by reducing the rate at which new spots are displayed, but that should not be necessary. 

API documentation is "hand-holding"? Are you the Flex poster child for sloppy software engineering?

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mike,

How is this situation any different than Flex asking Microsoft for assistance in solving the Windows update hosing DAX problem? It seems to me that Flex is hoping for some hand holding of it's own as Microsoft is under no obligation to help Flex and the DAX issue.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Dave, you are not in any position to call Flex sloppy. You are not even close to their level.   I too use 3rd party software for spots without any problems at all.

After you spending time insulting the Flex software engineering I would be surprised they would try and help you at all. Perhaps that is the reason they have not helped you so much in the past.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Flex has not been asking Microsoft for help, they have asked questions to understand how their updates work,,but Flex knows as far as Windows goes it is what it is and Flex works around it.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bill,

You've read the posts where others have said that no functioning DX Labs = no upgrade. That is how important DX Labs is for many of us. It's a deal breaker when it comes to SSDR upgrades so Flex should be doing it's best in assisting DX Labs to make it work or they may not find too many interested in SSDR upgrades.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Then let the release come out, let things settle and see what can be done, insulting Flex and trashing them really does not help as much some think it does.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    @Bill VA3WTB. As much as I disagree with Dave on many political and transaction al things, Dave is one of the most brilliant programmers I have ever run into in my life If Dave says there is a backwards compatibility issue then I can assure you that there is , that Flex is listening to Dave and will work to fix it. You owe Dave an apology
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I oplogize to Dave for my comments, you are correct that Flex has been very sloppy in their approach to software engeneering and Flex has not been kind to you.
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've used DXLab Suite for several years and would not be willing to sacrifice it for the advertised benefits of SmartSDR V3.  

I hope that the folks at DXLab and Flex will step back and reset their relationship for the sake of Flex radio owners and the amateur radio community in general. An unfortunate conflict such as this benefits no one. 

Larry KB1VFU

• mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have been using DXLab since 2014.   I don't need the features in 3.0 but would have upgraded it to support Flex.  Now that I hear that DXLab will not support 3.0 I will not upgrade.  I assume this came out with the Alpha testing of the code.  Maybe Flex is rewriting their api's to address this hence the delay of 3.0.  This deflates any excitement I have regarding 3.0 at this point. 
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Does anyone know if the same situation applies for CW Skimmer and Slice Master? Will they function with v3?

I use both in conjunction with DX Labs.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I haven't seen any other 3rd party developers complaining publicly regarding functionality with v3 but at least one has indicated they have been given access to v3 for development purposes. That's called co-operation, so I have no doubt these developers already have or will function with v3. There are indeed some very impressive 3rd party applications out there only because FRS has wisely went in that direction, encouraging, sharing and providing the tools necessary to develop. It's a win/win approach for users and FRS.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mike,

I am not sure how many other 3rd party programs are as robust  as DXLab.  One of the great things I liked about DXLabs is that I could interface to SMartSDR using the API's socket other radios using CAT.  Dave has a tremendous application and from what I have seen he brings up very valid points.   I now have a conundrum as our club will upgrade it's 6400 to V3.0 and I wont be able log contacts using DXLab.   Since I don't want to walk away from DXLab I probably wont be using our club 6400 much after the upgrade.  

Since  3.0 is mainly for contesters I am thinking N1MM may have the same issue.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Dave, I am sorry, I am having trouble following your thinking. In your reply to my apology to you,to witch was not excepted,,,,,you mentioned Flex has been great help to you over the years answering all your questions.

But now you stated  the ecosystem of 3rd party products that compliment Flex 6XXX radios has emerged in spite of Flex, not because of an effective program to encourage its formation.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I have not tried DXLab as I use another product that has help me achieve my goals. Dave, you have twice now accused me of cheer-leading or being a poster boy for FRS. As brilliant of a programmer you maybe and how a great program DXLab is, your little insults certainly won't encourage me to try or switch to DXLab and if you decide not to make DXLab work with v3 compatible then you would have made the choice for me and I won't download and try it out. You may certainly have a valid point regarding documentation, I get it. I do think this is getting out of hand, the sky isn't falling.

You have your supporters coming out and saying they will not upgrade to v3, using your own words are they not "cheerleading" as well? I won't say that because I don't think they are. They clearly love your software and are simply voicing their opinion. I certainly won't accuse any of them losing "credibility" for cheering you on.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.