Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

dual transverters?

so I am in the research stage of a planned purchase of a Flex 6300. I understand this radio can accept a single port transverer, if I am correct.

I see no practical way to interface 2 transverters, though. If I want to operate on both 2m and 70cm, I would need 2. How do others tackle this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Answers

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Seems you could connect the transverter output on the 6300 to an A/B antenna switch. Run A to the 2m transverter input and B to the 70 cm transverter input. You can only use one transverter at a time anyway, so just use the switch to select the one you want. You can most likely tie the PTT inputs of the transverters together and drive them from the PTT out on the Flex. Worst case you may have to isolate the PTT inputs with diodes, but you shouldn't need a switch for them. And I'm assuming you have separate VHF and UHF antennas so there's no switch needed there.
    Doug K4DSP

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just a FYI the transverter port is 32mW out.
  • Mike Thompson
    Mike Thompson Member
    edited June 2020
    That is what I was expecting, thank you. This possibly prevents someone from operating full duplex satellite operations, but I don't know if there is much to be done about that, unless you can run the other transverter into one of the ANT ports.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The transverter output is 150 mw, not 32mw..
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It might be possible if/when they unlock the transmit & receive paths for full duplex as I suspect the will when the SO2R box is released.  

If this is implemented by Flex...you may be able to set it up so that you connect your 2 meter transverter to the Transverter output to transmit, and the 70cm transverter to the RXA port (on a 6500) or one of the ANT1/2 ports (on the 6300) to receive.  Reverse the connections in order to do full-duplex the other way.
    But you would need to be very careful not to transmit into the potentially unlucky transmitter connected to the ANT1 port!

I do not know if, when, or how Flex will implement such a full duplex "unlock."  But it would be a very nice possibility.

Ken - NM9P 
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No way is it 30mw, 100mw at the very least.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    According to Steve at Flex, the upper power limit on the transverter port is +15dBm  which calculates to 31.6 milliwatts.

The low power out on the transverter port is -11.5 dBm which calculates to .0708 milliwatts.

This was confirmed by Doug Hall's measurements.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Ken and Bill are correct.  +15 dBm is the upper limit.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.