Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DSTAR with Maestro Only

Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
Will we be able to work DSTAR with just the Maestro and Thumb DV only, no computer?

Answers

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I think from a technical perspective, there should be no problem using only the Maestro for dstar, but I wonder how the add-on app would work since you have to configure the my/ur callsign info, etc.  I guess this would have to also be implemented on Maestro?
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    That's my understanding as well. Modulation is just one aspect. You need the Header Data
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    This question really goes beyond DSTAR to any mode that has "non-standard" (meaning not in common) settings.  For example, FreeDV could have a setting to switch the bitrate.  The infrastructure is there to pass the data between the client easily, but today we do not have a method for displaying entry forms/data to capture the mode-specific data.  So we're still thinking about this.  I think it is likely that this (DSTAR) may not work on day #1 in the Maestro, but DSTAR has been very popular and we're thinking about the best way to do this.
  • Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    The Maestro documentation says no USB devices support. So, I guess you cannot plug in a DV3000 DSTAR USB device. So no support for Free DV or DSTAR, because you need to load software somewhere?  A dead end for Maestro?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

The USB Dongles continue to plug into the RADIO like they always have done

• Steve-N5AC
    edited February 2017
    Howard is correct -- the ThumbDV plugs into the radio, not the Maestro.  We are planning to have support for DSTAR and FreeDV in Maestro at first release, BUT each of these prefers to have a GUI for adjusting settings and this is what we've not worked out yet.  Today, you'd have to run this GUI on a computer rather than the Maestro.  No telling what we will do in the future.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I would love to hear about "what we will do in the future" ... just a taste of some of the ideas... no commitments.... just give us a little glimpse into the Flex future.... pretty please, sugar on top! :)
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    I think there is a "day of reckoning" coming on waveforms that allows them to be used on multiple platforms with their GUI intact.  This is not a priority for us this year, but this is something that will grow in interest in the future.  What this would be, I'm not sure yet, but I think that a way for a waveform to place it's own GUI controls in SmartSDR/Maestro/et.al. is a logical thing to do.  This is an involved project, though, and we have a lot of other things on our plate so just not sure when/if we will get to this.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.