Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DStar problem with SmartSDR 1.7.30

Gary L. Robinson
Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I installed the latest SmartSDR, v1.7.30, to my Flex 6300 and all went well and no problems until I tried DStar.  I uninstalled all Flex software and versions before I installed SmartSDR 1.7.30.

All seems to work well in FM, SSB, CW, and digi modes.  But I tested DStar using my ThumbDV drive and my Elecraft 2mtr transverter and saw some strange things happen.

At first it seemed to work well and I was talking and getting a good report from a buddy of mine on the local DStar repeater.  Then, after a short period of time, perhaps 1-3 minutes, the DStar waveform companion app went totally grayed out for a second and I get a notification saying it  (the app) just connected the radio.  Apparently it disconnected and reconnected. And then it started cycling about every 15-16 seconds connecting.

Actually I don't see any notifications saying it is logging out so I am assuming that since the app goes grayed out and then un-grays a second later after the connect notification.

And it just keeps cycling whether I am transmitting OR not.

Using Windows 10 on 2.6ghz Quad core AMD with 8gb RAM.

As far as I can tell all other modes doing OK.

I did uninstall completely DStar and rebooted the Flex and Windows - then reinstalled DStar but same thing still happens when I start the DStar app.  Just continually connects (and I ASSUME) disconnects every 15-16 seconds.

Has anyone else seen anything like this with DStar in SmartSDR 1.7.30 ??  

---Gary WB8ROL

Comments

• Kent Hufford
    Kent Hufford Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I HAVE A 6500 doing the same thing. I am using the 6500 and DV3000 on DSTAR HF. The SMARTSDR DSTAR Waveform program seems to reboot about every 15 seconds or sow. Then the little window comes up and says Client Connected from IP 192.168.1.132.  I am also running DDUtil 3.2.3
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited May 2016
    I am glad I am not the only one seeing this hihi  I don't do all that much DStar so it's not a "critical" thing but you never know if it's something you did or 'what' until someone else reports the same thing.  I am not using DDUtil here though I use a homebrew app of my own.  Naturally, I stopped using my app to see IF it was causing the problem but that did not help.  I did NOT try FreeDV to see if it's a waveform 'thing' or just a DStar waveform 'thing'.  I will try that later today.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'm testing it now, had not opened DStar since I did the upgrade... FYI, I always remove both FreeDV and DSTAR waveforms and reinstall them after an upgrade.  So far, been running about 20 minutes so far but no DSTAR issues or the SmartSDR DSTAR Waveform program running issues either.

FLEX-6500
    Windows 10
    SmartSDR 1.7.30
    SmartSDR DSTAR Waveform 1.0.7.9

David
    KK4QOE

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    FYI.. ran the application with slice A up and running DSTAR for over 30 minutes without issue.. did you guys try uninstalling and reinstalling the DSTAR waveform??

David
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Gary - how frequently has this happened?
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited May 2016
    Sorry for late reply but was gone all day hihi

It seems to happen every time I use DStar.   When I first start DStar it does not happen immediately but after a few transmissions (or maybe it's just a time interval - not sure) it then starts cycling as noted above.  When it does, the folks I talk to say I become very unintelligible.  I can close and restart the companion app and IF I am real quick I can get a clean intelligible signal to them before it starts cycling again.  Long enough to say 73 my bug is still messing things up.

Anyhow the problem seems reliable.  I start up SmartSDR, go to DStar (using a profile) and do some transmissions - sometimes for a mute or so and then it starts cycling.  After that, I can remover for 15 seconds by closing and restarting the companion app for the wave form.  Then it starts in again.  If I leave it on it just goes on cycling forever.

Anyhow, I have uninstalled ALL wave forms and then reinstall just DStar and that does not help.  I have tried same thing and rebooting both the 6300 and Windows 10 and still - back it comes when I start things up and go to DStar.

Which makes me wonder - after I start the companion app and set it for freq etc. Can I turn off the Companion app and still be OK on DStar as long as I don't need to do any changes?  I'll try that and report back.

---Gary WB8ROL
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited May 2016
    Yep, I can set my DStar to ECHO mode and turn off the companion app and I can transmit all day and hear my clean audio come back to me.  So it definitely seems like the companion app is connecting and disconnecting ever 15 seconds while IT is running and that is affecting my DStar signal or datastream or whatever. But if I turn it off all is OK.  Except I can't use the app hihi

---Gary WB8ROL
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    I have entered this problem report with all of your comments into our bug tracker for additional investigation. This is defect #3608.  Thank you for the defect report.
  • tartanlatte
    tartanlatte Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Has there been any update on this issue. I just attempted to use DSTAR for the first time over the weekend and I'm seeing this on the latest Smart SDR (v1.9.13), makes the function pretty much unusable :-(
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    1.9.13 does work DSTAR HF. But every random time, about 30sec- 2min get a reconnect warning. Kent, KQ4KK, DSTAR HF NET NCS.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I have updated defect report #3608 with this information.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.