Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DSP NR with .15.13

K4EAR
K4EAR Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I really like this with the agc-t down below 40, no pre-amp, and the audio at "80" The distortion is now gone from the previous version, especially with stronger signals in the slice! Good work...

Comments

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    That is strange. I tried NR last night after updating and it is distorting anything I tune to. But I don't have my AGC-T quite as muted as your setting shows. I need to hear weak signals and run my AGC-T around 75-80. NR should still work at higher thresholds without artificially creating conditions where it may work satisfactorily. 73 Greg
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Greg - NR is not working properly in 0.15.13. I think that Joe was referring to the noise reduction action of the AGC-T and not the DSP NR.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Tim. I didn't think what I was hearing would be considered as noise reduction :)
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    I've never used the agc-t above 40 for anything. Or a preamp above "0" It just works for me on HF...the DSP NR works here. I'm in a rural area. The NB does not work, but in my situation the NR is better than the .13 with either NB or NR.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    My normal agc-t setting is <35 below 10M, RF preamp "0", and on 40/80M, maybe -10db pad. The NR converges in a few seconds to make signals pop outr. I think the default setting for agc-t is too high...
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    AGC-T setting <35. Sorry for the typos
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Greg, how much noise do you hear when you switch the antenna to a dummy load? With my 6500, I turn down AGC-T, with 'Cantenna' for an antenna, so the receiver JUST goes quiet; then when I switch back to a real antenna, I find i can still hear the weakest signals. Typically, AGC-T is 40 to 50, with my antennas, and on low bands...of course, the audio gain has to come up some... If i run AGC-T up to 75-80 i get a LOT of 'hiss' from the receiver, with a dummy load for an antenna...I don't think i want that masking weak signals. I'm curious if you have tried this yet? 73, w5xz, dan
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I know the ESP functions are not working properly but last night with the Sgc set to remove the noise I turned on the NR and slid the slider all the way to the right. When I raised the Sgc threshold the NR was working . I turned it off and on . It appears to need time to make the it work.
  • Carl/K5HK
    Carl/K5HK Member ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    I notice NR on and turned up in 6500 appears to have ANF characteristics especially deteriorating cw reception and cutting low frequency response in ssb. ANF And NB neither appear to function in any mode or settings. I also found reducing AGC-T <50 and increasing audio to >70 very helpful for weak signal reception and reduction of opr fatigue.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    None of my previous comments would apply to CW, only SSB. With low AGC-T setting the NR setting gradually converges on the noise for now until the NB really works in 1.0, I hope. I never thought it reached fruition in PSDR.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    The NR may take 30 seconds to converge to your noise floor, but it beats the NB available now, which is next to none...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.