Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DSP Filters

Options
Bob G   W1GLV
Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
Are the DSP filters working. It doesn't seem like it with my 6500.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yes, they are.  Can you describe in greater detail what you mean by doesn't seem to like my 6500?
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    If he is talking about NR I agree. I generally don't notice any decrease in background noise when turning on NR and the slider seems to have no impact. AN has been terrible here. I will qualify that with specifics later.... Greg
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would like to see a video showing use of the sliders for the filters. I don't see any difference in the slider settings. I need someone to show me.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have found that the NR does work, but it is pretty subtle at first and takes a little time to "ramp up" the quieting.  It doesn't color the receive audio nearly like what it did in the 1.0.24 beta.  There is some noticeable change with the slider, but that also takes a little while to ramp up.  It is noticeable, but not pronounced.  I would like to see a greater range of adjustment.  But it is a good start, and much improved over the beta.  

ANF it much better than either the 1.0 or the 1.0.24 beta.  The beta made the sound very tinny and would distort on strong signals.  The 1.1 version, again, doesn't color the frequency response nearly as badly and the two previous versions.  

NB works, but by definition doesn't reduce noise traces outside the slice bandwidth.  All noise blankers add distortion, this one also, but careful adjustment allows a happy medium.

What I have noticed is that there is no one, single, setup for these three features that work on all bands, all modes, and all noise situations.  When they fix it for one band/situation/noise type, it seems to be less effective on others.  This is why I would like to see greater ability to adjust various parameters on these functions... perhaps a right click on the buttons could pull up an adjustment window that gives three or four parameters with sliders, adjustment boxes, or number entry boxes.  These could remain persistent by band and/or mode.

Nevertheless, I think the three DSP functions are the best we have seen on SmartSDR so far.  NR could use a little fine tuning, but it is very close.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Tim, here's the problem. Slice A, the NB & NR do not seem to make any noticeable difference in the audio or any of the background noise. I can move the sliders from one extreme to the other and see no difference.
    The ANF, when activated reduces the volume of someone tuning up but also degrades the audio to a level that is very annoying. I would like to see something like we have in PSDR.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Just worked FT5 on 160M this morning.  Engaged NR and nada...nothing.  Did not take long to engage cuz nothing happened at all.  Left it on for 5 min and no improvement.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hmmmm.  I just did another factory reset (the right way) and now the NR obviously works.  When I did the reset previously I held the power button and OK and got a countdown to factory reset but I never let go of the power button.  The correct way should have been to hold the OK and Power button and release the power button and then release OK once Factory reset appears on the display.  Subtle difference but different none the less.

• Ed_NZ1Q
    Ed_NZ1Q Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options

I find much the same as above, i.e. insufficient affect of NR. I've been using my Timewave 59+ to reduce noise in CW and SSB. Currently the 59+ is much better (twice the noise reduction)  than the SSDR NR feature.

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Greg,
    I'd like to get my NB working.  I know it's not affecting the display (yet), but
    I -hear- a lot that seems unaffected.  I haven't tried a reset yet.  After the reset
    do you have to reload the firmware/software ?
    Ned,  K1NJ

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sometimes I find the NR works well and other times I am not sure it is on.  Since my last reset it seems to work most of the time.  I did not have to reinstall anything after the reset.  The NB seems OK though not great...mostly on pulsing noise as I would expect.  It is only active on noise in you filter passband and does nothing to the display, only the audio.  In otherwords with an electric fence on, I still see the pops in the passband, I just don't hear them.  The 5K NB was much more effective as it handled audio and the display.

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
       Did the reset.  Also have a 30 dB display jump (I know that's normal) from an electric
    fence about 3/4 mile away (cattle, sheep, and one llama).  I had been hearing the "pops"
    from it with NB on.  However, since reset, I no longer -hear- the pops.  Still, I go to the
    5000 to work 160 and 80.  The once-a-second 30 dB hop is really disruptive when
    looking for stations.  As someone at Flex once said, "If you can't see 'em, you can't
    work 'em".  But, everywhere else this is one outstanding rig. Thanks for the hint.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have only used v1.1 (just got my 6700) so nothing to compare it to, but I can concur that NR seems to do very little, if anything.  I'm kinda wondering if it does less when "wide" is enabled on the panadapters, but I haven't done much testing on that theory.  I'm happy to try stuff if it helps track down the issue, just let me know.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    We are aware that there is some area for improvement in the NB, NR and ANF and it is on the list to be improved.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.