Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DSP functions ANF, NR & NB are basic radio functions that really need attention.

David H. W5CAH
David H. W5CAH Member ✭✭
6500 on SmartSDR v1.3.0 Windows 7 Ultimate, I Intel i7 Processor, 16 Gig RAM.

I purchased the 6500 as a step up from my 14 year old Icom 756 Pro.  In many ways it is but the basic DSP functionalities of noise reduction, auto notch filter and noise blanker simply don't measure up to the Icom.  I don't regret buying the 6500 but PLEASE focus on these basic functions as soon as possible.

Comments

• dl9eri/oe9eri
    dl9eri/oe9eri Member
    edited December 2016
    I am also comming from the Icom 756proIII after 7 years and many other Rigs before and I find the main functions of a Tranceiver should not to be in API and Remote Control - first I would like to see a good NB, ANF and NR and Memories. The persistance with profiles is vy bad, every time I switch from band to band I get other settings of qrg and power slider, somtimes 3 Receivers not set before etc. etc.. The general-receiver when used shows after usage the other bands with changed parameters than before. Keying CW without extra hardware would be much desired via CAT !

So there is for my 6500 some frustration, because i did expect much more and it may be a long path to go with flex to get main features of tranceivers implemented the way that they realy work.

I dont even understand, why they are not able to post a short note of how the profiles are stored and which of the parameters there are included in global or transmit profiles ? I can not imagine that this is much to write down and publish ?

As the basic setup and hardware is real excellent I will not be impatient now - and hope they will get the DSP-Proramming done in some time. It seems that this kind of SDR-Programming is much more difficult than doing the things inside the PC like others. And on the long run this should be the advantage of the 6000th concept - it will take more time...   dont worry with my comments please !
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have a very noisy environment and am new to the 6300. Been out of ham radio for over 25 years. I find that 2 of the three DSP functions do not appear to do anything at all, just the NR. I am looking forward to functional DSP sooner rather than later.
    OT: My time is currently being spent trying to decide to which software (logging, data modes) to chose and commit to. Shame so many offerings are abandonware.
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Hey Guy,

Try N1MM+. I use it with my 6300 as well. How to setup, you can find here.

Trust me, a great software and does all I need here.

VY73
    Tom
    DK1EY

By the way: I also hope for better DSP-abilities!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi David,
    For reference, here are links for 3 of the ideas for improvement.

NB
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/nb_idea

NR 
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/improve_nr_noise_reduction_request_to_add_another_d...

APF
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ssdr_v1_2_apf_could_use_more_gain_it_seems_diminish...

If you haven't already added your VOTE,  go to the link and click the LIKE button.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Guy

Like you I seem to try all the different logging software

For a logging.
    Right now I use Ham. Radio Deluxe 6.2

AND DXlabs.

Both do things just different enough that at different times I tend to prefer one then the other

For Contesting I use Writelog... Mainly because I have used it forever

for PSK./RTTY MixW. Mainly because I have used it forever. Albeit DM780 is more effective

WSJT-X for JT 65/9.

CWSkimmer for CW albeit I rarely if ever do CW. So CWX if I ever need to XMT.
    (I have not owned a CW key since 1965 when I tied my key to a lead brick and dumped it into Lake Ontario to celebrate the fact that I had the most advanced license and that I would never have to do CW again)

VE7CC and HRD for Spots.

DDUTIL to tie everything together

Parallels Access for remote ipad operations.

And a whole bunch more depending on my mood.
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It does baffle me why simple DSP functions have not been a priority.  Its almost to the analogy that a car company comes out with all these new novel functions on how a car operates but forgets to implement Wipers and head Lights.  In my mind commodity functions should work as good as the next system - No worse and would not expect any better.  Of course as a future enhancement novel approaches to these functions would be great but could come later on and prioritized against other novel functions.  I am a prospect and will not lump down cash until these functions as good as my current radios.  I unfortunately live in a high noise environment (like most New Yorkers who live on Long Island) and these for me are must haves.  If you cant hear them you cant work them.  Does not matter how cool or how many novel functions the radio has!
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Ironical, Mike.

PSDR/5000 and SmSDR/6000:
      "We have met the enemy and he is us".

Ned,  K1NJ

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

There are many threads dealing with different aspects of DSP for noise reduction.
    Since it has been a slow process to improve these functions I must assume that the resolution on these radios is difficult. 
    Steve, please open the FRS kimono just a little and share the progression; it may/should go a long way to ease these types of posts.

Thanks

Stan Williams, VA7NF

p.s. I want this yesterday as well ;-)  

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Voted for all three!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good news Steve,
    I'm glad to hear that they are all on the radar and being actively worked.  V1.4 would be be great!  

The ideas should probably have their status changed from "no status" to "under consideration"  or even better to "planned."    That way it's clearly apparent they are being worked and might help alleviate some of the questions. 

NB
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/nb_idea

NR 
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/improve_nr_noise_reduction_request_to_add_another_d...

APF
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ssdr_v1_2_apf_could_use_more_gain_it_seems_diminish...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Hi Steve, Among the smorgasbord of algorithms you are evaluating for the 6000 Series radio DSP functions, could you just use the basic algorithm used in the Flex 5000 that everyone seems to hold out as the gold standard? Is noise in the digital domain different in a PowerSDR radio than in a SmartSDR radio? Is it a matter of programming the algorithm in SmartSDR language, or does the PowerSDR algorithm itself not work on the digital domain noise detected in a SmartSDR radio. I know nothing about DSP programming, but I suspect that a lot of others are wondering why this is such a mountain to climb. Not complaining, just wondering out loud.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited December 2018
    I don't know how, BUT just fix it mentality...LOL...I have read the complaints since the first day I joined this community... I for 1 have seen the development of PSDR from ver 2.0 til now.... the improvements were outstanding... that took more than a couple of years to achieve.  Now we have SSDR... in it infancy and everyone wants it to be perfect for there own application. SSDR is not the same architecture as PSDR. It's not even close. So its easy to say... Make it like PSDR...but they can't.  Before I purchased my new Flex6xxx I read and KNEW before I purchased the radio(apparently some didn't) that the software was evolving and would get better with each new version. FRS has done a great job so far and I'm sure they will continue.....

Patience is a virtue... Good things are coming.... Maybe not fast enough for you, but they are coming none the less....

My hat is off to FRS for the fine job I think they are doing.  Including the software.

John
  • Jay Nation - NO5J
    edited September 2014
    Yeah! What he said.
  • Jay Nation - NO5J
    edited September 2014
    Little X, at the top, far right, click it. you have just located the real Noise Reduction button. works sorta like the BIG knob in the middle on legacy knobbed radios. Give her a spin see if it reduces the noise your talking about. Sometimes I find signals sort of down below the noise that are kinda interesting. Adjust the AGC-T lower and the slice volume up, with or without the DSP/NR button selected until you can hear it how you want it to sound. When you get it sounding the way you want it to sound your done. You don't have to settle for how I want it to sound. Yet!
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    thanks for the good news Steve....looking forward to the improvements.

73, w5xz, dan

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    If it were as simple as that, FRS would not be working on improving the algorithms.
  • Jay Nation - NO5J
    edited September 2014
    Guy This rant is not directed at you, or anyone else that has only recently discovered SDR. For some of the rest of you. Try this without the quotes, in the Search box at the top of this page (Hint: The " | " symbol is equivalent to "or", to most Search engine algorithms) "Improved NR | DSP". I'm betting Guy is correct, they probably are working on improved algorithms, it's been requested often enough. Steve and Gerald have even confirmed it's being worked on. More than once. But my post was going to be about how to deal with the noise until we get the new NR. Also take a look at: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/nr_is_awesome That's the same method that made it work better in PowerSDR. -Edit- I removed a couple thousand misspelled words loosely arranged into badly punctuated sentences, in other words a Free Rant. -Edit- I'm stopping here before I get too silly. I'm going to write up a nice How-To article about NR, and how to be free of listening to noise. I'll post it when its been edited down to something that is pleasant correct and useful, while using the best grammar I'm capable of, and almost properly punctuated. I'll see what I can do about a translation to actual English. However, you may have to settle for Texanics. I tried using "Rosetta Stone" but it all sounds the same to me. I tried this using screen captures but you can't hear the actual noise improvement. I tried making a video but you can't see the improvement either. So I will describe the process I use step by step. Stay tuned ...
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    I can see where trying to use people's issues to creat the perfect dsp functions would create a merry go arround effect, the more you do you never get to the end. A lot of us flex owners have discussed why this has been such a issue from the beginning. I have owned probably 25 of the modern radios with dsp functions both if dsp and audio dsp. Also most of the after market dsp boxes and boards. In talking about it we all agree that most over 90% of these have vastly superior dsp NR and beat cancel. I have used the fact is they all have dedicated dsp chips with the "---floating " dual dsp chips ect. Is the reason these dsp function so well and are the benchmark we judge the flex by because these use allogarithims developed by vendors and purchased by icom, yaesu, kenwood and tentec, else raft?

To be honest I seldom have a dire need for the super dsp people want, but I do feel this is a rock arround the flex neck which will haunt it until it meets a certain standard. Reciever is the best I have ever owned and it has been worth the wait, but from all the request you have to admit the dsp nb,NR and anf is the one universal issue which keeps comming up.os
  • David H. W5CAH
    David H. W5CAH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Well said Dan! Thank you!
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Steve, Thanks for the update. I have a question that I'm sure has either been asked already and / or is pretty dumb... Why won't the algorithm used in PSDR work in SSDR? 73's de Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.