Driving High Power AM Amp with 6000 Series Radio

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Hi...I am thinking about buying a 6500 and currently looking into how I can configure it to do what I currently do with a Flex 5000. Specifically, I am on AM a lot and with one of my configs I drive a large AM amp. I need about 30W of carrier, maybe a little more to get proper grid current on the amp. The Flex 5000 only provides the carrier, all the audio is totally outboard. The Flex 5000 will provide up to 50W of carrier in the AM mode so if you are not modulating that 50W you are well within power level specs for the radio. With the 6000 series the carrier level is limited to 25W, not enough drive for what I am doing. So the question is how do I accomplish the same thing with a 6000 series radio? The ideal solution as far as I am concerned is for the same capability that the 5000 had, allow carrier level to 50W. It seems it would be easy to do and maybe a checkbox that would turn on that feature and turn off audio. But I understand that would not have much if any priority or consideration right now. So how do I accomplish this using the current features of the radio?

Sorry for being so long winded...I am used to old buzzard transmissions....

Harry
W0LS
Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 88 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

• 1687 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
OT:- I am interested in using AM, but all the info I have found seems to be on old and/or unmaintained sites.

Could you kindly let me have some up to date centres of AM activity or let me have a link to something current?

TIA and 73
Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 88 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello Guy...been using AM with Flex 5000 for a long time...it works very well. Just google "amateur radio am" and you will get lots of links to am sites.

Harry
Photo of Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

• 1687 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
Thanks Harry, much appreciated. I have done this before and found nothing contemporaneous - I shall look harder.
(Edited)
Photo of pa0bie

pa0bie

• 152 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

I have some idea for Your problem. You can use two slices on the same frequency  , one for TX in CW and the other for RX in AM. Keep the KEY input shorted.

Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 88 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Tnx for input...I have experimented on the 5000 with this and found that if I went to FM mode for xmit (disabled audio) I could generate carrier up to 100W and then listened in 2nd rx in AM mode. Kind of the same thing as what you suggested without having to short the key...just kind of clunky...maybe there are other ways. Wish Flex would just give the same capabilities as the 5000 has....tnx agn

Harry
W0LS
Photo of pa0bie

pa0bie

• 152 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Harry , at this moment the FLEX does not have the FM mode.  That will come with new 1.4 update.  You can use the KEY as a PTT control.  I have tested it and it works vert well with " Breakin" ON and "Iambic" OFF in the CW panel.

Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 88 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Ok...thats great to know. I suppose by the time I buy one FM will be supported but I guess I would experiment between both methods and see which one I like the most.

Tnx....Harry