Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Drive level meter question

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
The drive level meter has a long bar with a separate rectangle to the right of it. I can increase my drive (digital modes using DAX) so that the rectangle goes into the red of the scale but remains yellow. Is that a Bad Thing © or does the distortion start when the rectangle itself turns red?

OT: Ping FRS. It is very difficult to fine tune settings in DAX using the mouse, and for some reason, keyboard control is not enabled. Need finer control as a unit or two change up or down on the TX gain has a significant effect on the output.

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Keep the peak square on the audio input meter from going into the red area at all, not just the bar.   Also, use DIGIU or DIGIL so it bypasses the processing and shallows the filters to reduce latency.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What I am trying to establish is whether the distortion starts when the peak square goes into the red area or when it actually changes colour to red itself? It's not clear. To me the latter is more logical, viz keep the peak yellow.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Yes keep the peak square in the yellow.  I was told this by Steve when I was recording my WinLink demo video.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    So what does the peak square turning red signify? I am labouring the point as in SSDR, it is quite difficult to make small precision movements with the sliders, especially where the use of the cursor keys have not been enabled.
  • Bob Forrest
    Bob Forrest Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Place your cursor at the end of the slider in the direction you want to move, then left click. That will move the slider one unit per click.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Robert, Mni tnx for that tip. I am at work at the moment and cannot wait to test it. I hope it works in the DAX control panel too.

Update:- Works in DAX control panel. I wish I could like your tip twice, hi hi.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.