Dragon versus SmartSDR

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago

I have a problem that is driving me crazy. I have a problem with an interaction between my dictation program, Dragon Professional, and SmartSDR. It has occurred with every version of Dragon and SmartSDR and any combination of the two – over quite a few years now. If I install SmartSDR first, Dragon cannot find its mic input. If I install Dragon first, I get the error message I have pasted below. I dread upgrading either program. I just upgraded SmartSDR to version 2.2.8. I have learned the only way to solve this error is to install Dragon first, so I left it in place when I upgraded SmartSDR. I’m back to the error message you see below. The only way I have been able to solve it is simply by trial and error method. I have learned if I uninstall SmartSDR and all its drivers and then reinstall everything, I might’ve solved the problem. I have done that three times so far with the new update and still haven’t solved the problem. I will continue to do that and I’m sure I will solve the problem, but it usually takes me a day or more of my time and that much time off the air. I know there are many of you out there who are much more literate in computers that I am. My guess is there is some problem at a very fundamental level. I say that because SmartSDR destroys Dragon’s ability to find its input and vice versa. Oh, before I go this problem has appeared with two different desktop computers and three different laptops. Anyone got any suggestions before I go crazy – grin.

 

Photo of KC0EM

KC0EM

  • 55 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

  • 1
Photo of IW7DMH, Enzo

IW7DMH, Enzo

  • 353 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Photo of KC0EM

KC0EM

  • 55 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Hi,

 

I am still working on the DAX driver problem. I am trying to follow the “Most Common Fix for DAX Driver errors in Windows Spring Update (1803) (You can do this!)” Apparently, I am not doing something correctly because the problem is not fixed and the next time I look at the Device Manager everything is scrambled in a new way. I’ll paste the latest snapshot of it below. Meanwhile, Dragon Professional lost its input and I couldn’t even find a way in the sound management scheme to locate something labeled mic input - in fact, no inputs at all. After going through and uninstalling SmartSDR and all its associated drivers, Dragon once more started to work. I’m frustrated!

   
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

  • 1201 Posts
  • 246 Reply Likes
It sounds like Dragon is grabbing one of the Dax connections and that is keeping the Dax driver from unimstalling. It most likely would require stopping Dragon to allow full uninstall of DAX.

Once uninstalled, set Dragon’s default audio devices and then install SmartSDR. Double check Dragon is still using the proper drivers.

It may be easier if tou have some available to assist that can see as Dragon will likely need to be shut down to fix the issue.. if tou would like assistance via me logging in with Team Viewer you can reach out to me at my call at ARRL dot net.

Dave wo2x