Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Downward Expander while Remote Revisited

Tony Taddeo
Tony Taddeo Member
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
Could you please consider implementing the Downward Expander functionality while operating remote (no matter what the technical hurdles are  - smile). I feel its and important feature in relation to the quality of transmit audio, which would be of interest to many of the Flex Radio operators.

regards
Tony

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

If you cant wait and are using a PC, there is a 10 band equalizer program Romac which has every conceivable audio adjustment there is including reverb. Works great as does their downward expander.

Jim, k6QE

• Tony Taddeo
    Tony Taddeo Member
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Jim, certainly a good idea to process the audio with an external program when on a PC - thankyou, however no help for Maestro or  SmartSDR for IOS use.

Tony
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    May I please second that request too as once I began to fully appreciate the tablet freedom of remote shortly after the LAN side was finished I will never return to sitting behind a radio in the "shack" sense again.  My 1001 Chihuahuas appreciate being able to crawl over dad while playing radio on the lounge or a morning sleep in. I'm not ashamed to say my station has really gone to the dogs .... LOL  

Thank you !

James   

• James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hmmmmm, I just read an old post by Elmer Howard, yes, as its done in radio on remote the latency between the remote and rig could be nasty so I imagine it would need a local applet on the remote client for remote ops  hmmmmm... I'll break the news to my Chihuahua's  LOL 
  • Tony Taddeo
    Tony Taddeo Member
    edited March 2020
    I also read Howard's post with interest, perhaps the available processor (compression) function is implemented another way?

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/downward-expander-while-remote

As a suggestion, could the downward expander be implement in the SmartSDR/SmartSDR for IOS client software even if as a basic (low resource intensive) noise gate? Downward expansion being generally early in the audio chain for voice processing, however I understand that this is not completely inline with an attempt to have a thin client.

Tony
    VK5TT
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I'm afraid my brain sizzled out when I tried the "deep thinking" stuff however if it had to ping it back to the PC back and fourth for dynamic range monitoring I can only imagine headaches having said that if the equaliser settings are in the radio why not ?  I (and my Chihuahua's) will follow this topic. My thin brain along with the thin client is tuned up so lets see what the softy engineers have to say. LOL

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.