Does SO2R/SO2V still work with N1MM+ on SSDR V1.6?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I'm asking the question:  Does any one see a problem using N1MM+ with the 6500 on V1.6.xx in SO2V mode?

Barry, N1EU, has on his web page a comparison between the ANAN-100D and the 6500 showing that SO2V does not work between the 6500 and N1MM+ in version 1.6.xx.  I thought it was a mistake but he said it is true.

I have N1MM+ up right now and its working just fine unless I'm missing the broken part??
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 605 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
The loss of SO2V in v1.6 was discussed in this thread:  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/n1mmplus-1-6-set-up

Be sure to expand the thread and read down to the bottom.

In addition, I received private email acknowledgment from an alpha team member they were aware early on that SO2V was going to be lost in v1.6

And just to be clear on our terms, this is what I'm calling SO2V, if you can copy cw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXTZ95mj1c4

One vfo's audio in one ear and the other vfo's audio in the other ear.  I'm quickly pulling in spots off the vfoA and vfoB bandmaps into the respective vfo's and working whichever vfo has an available contest qso.  SSDR v1.6 does not support this functionality.  Every two vfo radio I own does support this functionality.

If you're calling something else SO2V, then maybe your SO2V isn't broken.

73, Barry N1EU
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4035 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
Barry,  that is impressive!  I think I would go nuts doing that for a whole contest!  How long did it take to master listening to two CW signals at the same time and not confusing which panel to enter your stuff into?

BTW  after watching you do this in the video, what then is the practical difference between SO2V as you were doing it and SO2R when it comes to an SDR with multiple slices?

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Thanks Ken.  It's really about focusing on one ear or the other.  I also have keyboard/CAT macros programmed to instantly put one or the other channel in both ears when it gets too crazy (not too often).  I don't use this technique for the entire contest.  I use it when the bandmap is fairly full and I want to take a break from running.  With this technique, I can maintain a very high rate until I work off the bandmap.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question because I've never done SO2R of any flavor.

Barry N1EU
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3492 Reply Likes
Official Response
In the construct of N1MM+, SO2R is supported, SO2V is not.  However we are looking into how to best support SO2V in a future release.
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 605 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Hello et al,

Thanks Barry for the clarification on how you use SO2V; I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.  I do not use that method, I use my 6500 in a pseudo SO2R mode with the N1MM+ band maps.  I click on spots in either of the two maps; 6500 switches between slices just fine.

Thanks Tim for the update...
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Yes, but you can't switch focus back and forth between the two slices and have them persist.  Slice B instantly disappears so you can't continue to listen to it.  And L/R audio preference for slice B is not remembered next time it's instantiated.  ETC ETC  It's just a mess compared to how SO2V needs to work.

Barry N1EU
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 605 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Barry, that doesn't seem to be the case here...  I'm on now and I am able to select stations on slice B and I have listened for many minutes with the focus or audio NOT switching back to A.  I have been successfully going back and fourth between A and B making and logging QSO's just as I have in the last CW and RTTY contests.

There must be some difference between our setups?  Again, I'm in pseudo SO2R mode.
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 808 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes
If you use the SO2R but put both slices on same band, selection it persists.  the only thing is you have to open SSDR and handle putting the slices in the same band from SSDR not via n1mm direct frequency enter. 

You need to follow the instructions for setting up SO2R and OTSRP and then put both slices on same band and go to work.  It worked fine I did this during CQWW SOSB15

This is the workaround until native SO2V support is added.  I think some of the workflow is a bit different but this does work.
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Chris, I've just read through the SO2R setup document and considering trying this on my 6500 and N1MM Logger+  this weekend.  One concern is controlling the rx audio.  Could you comment on these questions please?  These might be obvious/dumb questions but I've NEVER operated true SO2R, just a ton of SO2V.

1. If I set slice A (radio 1) for L audio and slice B (radio 2) for R audio, will either slice's audio get automatically muted or balance changed as I proceed through working stations on each "radio"?  What are the effects of the OTRSP port for audio switching?  I will be on the same band/antenna so classical SO2R audio handling might not be suitable.  Are the OTRSP audio effects configurable?

2. Are there N1MM keystroke commands or Flex CAT macros I can program and map to function keys in N1MM to select audio as:
    a. slice A/radio 1   L, slice B/radio 2  R
    b. slice A/radio 1   L   R
    c. slice B/radio 2   L   R
Is the N1MM grave accent keyboard shortcut (toggle STEREO mode on/off) supported?
(sometimes I want to hear both "radios" through a qso and sometime I want to concentrate on only the focus radio to make a qso and then return back to both radios after qso is made)

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4035 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
I just set it up and it works well in testing.
I followed the tutorial .pdf carefully and managed to get it set up OK!

In N1MM+
the "~" Key toggles between mono with active slice, or Stereo with one slice in each ear.
(You don't need to hit the shift key)

the "break" key or CTRL+left/right arrow shifts between slice A or B as "active" slice.

I'm going to try it some for the ARRL DX SSB contest when I do some S&P.  I may even try to run a frequency or two.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I'm a new N1MM/6700 User.  I've setup N1MM per http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/so2r-mode-with-n1mm-for-the-flex-6700-how-to-guide-pdf/

When I jump back and forth between slices using the break key the other slice's volume is muted which defeats the purpose of SO2R.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

If I use the 6700 without N1MM connected, it works the way it's supposed to.  It appears that N1MM is causing the other slice to mute.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 605 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Yes Richard, the N1MM+ connection mutes the de-selected slice, which I like, because I use the two band maps to select contacts....

Barry, I setup SO2R here using the flex presentation Richard highlights above...
(Edited)
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Can you answer the questions I posed above about audio handling?

Thanks
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply.  If N1MM is going to mute the slice that is not transmitting, then it's not SO2R.

In a traditional SO2R setup with two radio's, one is transmitting while tuning the other looking for mults or new q's.  If I'm transmitting on Slice A, I need the ability to listen/tune Slice B.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I exchanged emails with another N1mm/6700 user.  He suggested that I use the ~ key to toggle the stereo switch.  I'll give that a try this evening.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4035 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
I am going to take a risk and try running Pseudo SO2V (SO2R w/o FDX) in the ARRL DX SSB contest.
So far I have gotten the rig and N1MM+ set up so that I have two pans, two slices, two input windows, and two bandmaps running and the switching works well.

the ~ key toggles between stereo, or mono on only the active slice.
The Break Key or CTRL left/right arrows toggle between the two slices and input windows.
My voice keyer works well.

So I think I have it set up.  The tutorial PDF listed above was a great help in setting things up.

So here's nothing! I may even get to run a frequency a few times.  This will be my first ARRL DX SSB since I got the LP up in the air.  

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Ken,

I'm now having the same results the '~' key was the trick to get the audio working.  Like Ken said its really the ` key as you don't hit shift key.

I'm set to go to give the new setup a try this weekend.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4035 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
This will be my first attempt at SO2V/SO2R.
I hope it doesn't drive me bats! 
But if it does, I can just mute one slice and run as regular mode until my nerves settle!

Good luck.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 605 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Ken, if you follow the Flex SO2R presentation http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/so2r-mode-with-n1mm-for-the-flex-6700-how-to-guide-pdf/ setup will work for your 6500 except you will only be able to TX on one slice at a time.    And, the deselected slice will be muted, or put another way, only the selected slice will be unmuted....
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4035 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
Got that.
I actually tested a little in FDX while transmitting into the Transverter Port and listening on ANT1 just to see how they ran.  If I had a Pixel spaced far enough away, I might be able to do FDX with sufficient frequency separation!  This has added a new dimension to my contesting.  And doing 2 SLices in S&P has raised my rate a little.  still not as much as an amp would!

Ken - NM9P
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 605 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
I like SO2R mode, makes me feel like a power user like Barry, hi, hi....

Well, good luck in the contest....  I'm not going to be in this one...
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4035 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
I have only been able to put in about seven hours in the contest. Was busy all day Saturday. Perhaps I will get a few hours in Sunday afternoon.

But the SO2R/V setup worked very well for me. I will write up some of my thoughts after the test.
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Same here Ken, N1MM+/6700 worked well in SO2R here. 

The only thing that would make it better is a Maestro. Hopefully I'll have one before IARU.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes

Hi Rich,

Just  curious what benefits are you seeking w/ maestro wrt so2r ops ?

Also how do your like your 6700 so2r compared to previous so2r setup? Not trying to start a war just curious. I have not had the opportunity yet to fully incorporate so2r but doing research to hopefully build a competitive station for domestic contests.
(Edited)
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Mike,

The Maestro will provide for direct access to the needed control's vs using the mouse.  I find it much easier to turn an actual knob than using the mouse.  From a motion study stand point it's a waste of time to locate the mouse cursor on the screen get it to where you want it, complete the task then get your hands back on the keyboard.  But that's just my opinion and how I like to operate.

Having two radio's in one box certainly makes setting up an so2r station much easier.  Prior to the 6700 I had a pair of K3's, a pair of P3's a microham MK2R+ interface and all the associated wiring.  The K3 is a fine radio and I have absolutely no complaints about the it.  I was just ready to try something different to spice things up.

I am not a good enough operator to actually run on two different radio's, but it sure is handy to go and work a mult on the other slice when answers to my cq's have slowed down significantly on the run slice.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes

Thanks Rich

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4035 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
Are you thinking of supporting additional controllers, too? Such as the Hercules DJ 2 LE, or the Behringer CMD PL1?

I don't know the method you have used to interface with the CMD, but it may be as simple as writing another lookup table to convert the MIDI note values to you API commands. I have done some of this by modifying William's controller written in Processing and was surprised that I could actually get a lot of it done. I am no great programmer.
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 808 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes
Im glad everyone was able to figure this out it sound like.  Sorry to Barry and the group for my lack of timely replies but I note others jumped in with the right (~) answer.  (this is US keyboards and may be different in other countries)  I had to sit out the last DX contest.. 50th birthday... :).  however I have operated the 15m op position at the N6RO twice in Defacto SO2V (using the SO2R setup and setting the bands up on SSDR with 2 slices on 15m).  During the last CW contest I did this using a Maestro unit for part of it and SSDR for the other part.  In all respects this worked very well.

The SO2V workflow is needed and the gang appear to be working on it based on Tims feedback.  

Again sorry for being late with follow up just super busy testing stuff and other life stuff.