Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

dogparkSDR - MAC OS/X client for FlexRadio 6000 series

Comments

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    :-) Ah So!!!   I'm so used to using the Remote Client functionality in SmartSDR.   How quickly we forget base function.
  • KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited August 2015
    I did the same thing :) Glad you asked the question, not me
  • KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited August 2015
    Running well on a 2015 MacBook - Beta 55 looks good

When can we pay for a version?

• Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited September 2016
    Mac Sound is the next stop on my list :)
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited March 2017
    Pricing and release info as soon as the Beta is stable
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I deleted both slices. When I try to add either slice I hear the radio clicking, but no slice appears. I can add a slice with the K6TU Control app and it appears on the dogparkSDR panadapter.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Works good on my MacBookPro (2014). We are on our way of saying goodbye to Windows. Terrific
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ditto.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Stu, wouldn't it be nice of N1MM+ were ported over to MAC?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I asked about that, not specifically Mac but portable, the answer was a resounding no. The idea of portable is you write it once, for every platform. You'll see what I mean when I release XPSSDR.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ken,

My understanding is that N1MM+ is written in Visual Basic and tied to Windows.  So I think we are stuck still having to use a VM to run Windows. 

Stu K6TU
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited November 2016
    AMEN thanks Stu.  I will put it on my Macbook Pro today and begin testing.
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited November 2016
    Amen!  GOSH I hate Winblows.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I had some issues with the profiles at first.  I just removed the profile and restarted it to allow it to be recreated.  Seems to works fine now.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Me too, this app has some way to go to say goodby to the Flex app on windows but its a great start.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    A few months ago, I bought my first Apple computer (MacBook Pro 13' Retina).  I have always had windows computers but figured I would try the MacBook.  I wish I hadn't waited so long because I LOVE it.  I have a dedicated Windows computer for my hamshack but it's exciting that there may soon be a full fledged client for the Mac.

Burch
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    What a Great Start!  And I put my money where my mouth is.  I like to support software companies early that are willing to take the risk and produce a product for something other than windows.  Don has brought other great mac software to the ham community.  I am glad to see him tackle this one.

I have it and macloggerDX loaded on a macbook pro - 15 in. Mid 2010 model with 2.8 core I7 and 8 gig mem. 

Cheers
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Let me preface this by saying that I have been using Mac OS X since 2002 starting with version 10.2. Since way before the Intel transition. I have written OS X applications using Objective-C and Cocoa and Xcode. I use Mac OS X extensively for video and photo editing. I like OS X. I like my Apple computers. And I develop Linux-based communications products for a living. So I'm not a Microsoft fanboi by any means, and I am not an OS X detractor.

Some years back I made an effort to only use OS X in the hamshack as well. For the most part I succeeded, using programs like Don's Maclogger DX and W7AY's excellent cocoaModem. But when I got interested in SDR I replaced the Mac in the shack with a Windows box, and even with a Mac version of SSDR I'm not sure I'd entertain going back to OS X just yet. The reason is that Mac OS X is (and has always been) way behind the curve when it comes to ham radio applications. That's not to say there aren't good ones out there, but the selection pales in comparison to what is available under Windows. You just aren't going to find anything equivalent to, say, N1MM+ or WSJT under OS X. At least not yet. I certainly hope that will change in the future, but it's a matter of how long you want to wait. If you dabble in RTTY or CW contesting (which I have done for years) or meteor scatter or moonbounce (which I have only recently become interested in) you'll find very little support under anything but Windows. And to my knowledge there is nothing like DDUtil available for the Mac, so if you have hardware that only works (or only conveniently works) by the grace of DDUtil you may be out of luck for the moment. Again, it just depends on how long you want to wait.

All this to say jumping to OS X might not be as easy as just running one application.

I applaud the work of those who are (or will be) bringing out SSDR alternatives for other operating systems, whether Linux or OS X or iOS or Android. I know it's a lot of work, and often a labor of love.

Doug K4DSP

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Great points, Doug. Nice thing is there are ports of WSJT-X and FlDigi that work pretty well. Mac-Native JT-Bridge, too. And thank heaven for Don Agro and his suite of apps. There aren't many ham apps for OS X, but the ones out there are quite good. It's a process moving away from Windows, for sure. Will probably keep a VM handy for CW Skimmer for a long time, still..

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Doug, I agree with everything you just said, especially the last sentence. It's a chicken and egg thing. In this day and age there is no reason to be writing software with built-in vendor lockin, well, unless you don't know how to not. Going back to my experience with pmnos back in the 80s to XPSSSDR, (cross platform SSDR) its **** near thankless. I've spoken to Rick, I think that's the guy that bought hrd, and Steve of n1mm. Rick is ex Microsoft and I don't know what Steve's story is, perhaps momentum , perhaps just so many thousands of lines of vb. Back in 2012 at the boxboro hamvention there was a breakout session on an all Linux ham shack. DDUtil, excellent piece of code but how many people need a Swiss army knife? If someone knows design patterns and how to design to an interface, you'd have a portable and extensible beginning. After I get done with the portable GUI to XPSSDR I will interface it to a logging program either before or after I interface it to my linear and rotor. So long as its one person working in isolation it'll progress only as fast as they are interested in progressing the effort.

If you get enough people who know how to design and write software and don't have ego problems that are committed to ending the Microsoft centric ham world, that goal can be achieved in pretty short order.
    I actually think Stu has the correct model, do nothing for free. Oh, the upgrade to win10 is free, therefore I shall. Based on the multiple threads on here over the last several weeks, I'd say it wasn't the least bit free. People delude themselves into thinking Windows is free. No, it really isn't.

Walt - kz1f
  • N7AIG
    N7AIG Member
    edited August 2015
    Two thumbs up!!!
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited September 2016
    Beta 58
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Working nicely! Just used the client to check in to the Sunday Flex Net on 20m.

I'm guessing, Don, that you are pre-flighting GUI elements in "Preferences" before putting them on-screen? Filters and CW options soon? 

Q: Will DogParkSDR license work on 2 machines? My desktop and laptop? 
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited September 2016
    Filters soon, CW a little later, and the license will work on any Mac with any Flex as long as the registered serial number is powered up on the LAN. At least that's what it's supposed to do :)
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Very fine work, Don. Now running on a MacBook Air, also. Very smooth over wifi, including audio. Ran for a good hour without hiccups. Looking forward to the next development. Will really get excited running CW and digital modes, someday. 
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Is there a way to adjust the width of the passband/filter width?

• Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited March 2017
    There will be
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Gracias Don!
  • Jim N5TSP
    Jim N5TSP Member
    edited March 2017
    Beautiful example of fine-stitched integration of logging and Flex control. Just worked PP1CZ split on 20m ssb using my iPhone earplug/mic while watching football on the couch. I'm not a sales rep for dog park, but I recommend trying the combination of MacLogger and dogparkSDR, then you get a glimpse of where this is going...another step closer to nirvana for us Mac fans. I'm in.
  • KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited August 2015
    Sounds great.

How did you key the radio? Is the mac audio Don has running receive and transmit?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.