dogparkSDR - MAC OS/X client for FlexRadio 6000 series

• Praise
  • Updated 1 month ago

For those who have not seen it, DogPark Software, the authors of MacLogger DX, MacLogger DX HD (iPad logger) and MacDoppler have released...  wait for it!

A native Mac OS/X client for the FlexRadio Systems Flex-6000 series radios.

You can see a copy of the press release at:

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2015/august/dogpark_sdr_version_1_0_public_beta_released.htm#.Vd4Q0zSD64s

which includes a link to the site where you can download a beta (demo) version of dogparkSDR as well as find a pointer to the discussion group on Yahoo Groups.

This client is in its early stages of development but its great to see a native application on Mac OS/X to drive the radio.

Don Agro, the Proprietor of DogPark Software writes amazing code as any of you have used MacLogger DX will know.  MacLoggerDX also has native support included to interface to the Flex-6000 series radios directly via the Ethernet API.

Stu K6TU
Photo of Stu Phillips - K6TU

Stu Phillips - K6TU, Elmer

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Fixed in Beta 93, Thanks for catching it
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 535 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
Thanks Don.  I've loaded Beta 93 and it works as you would expect.  Thanks a bunch for your awesome support!
Photo of Lewis Krantz

Lewis Krantz

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have just downloaded dog park sir on a mac.  For some reason it is not seeing my NEW fees 6400M.    Is there something I need to configure on the Radio itself to enable DOGPARK SDR to work
Thanks
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 262 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
hi lewis
best thing to do is contact Don Agro the developer directly. he is quick to respond.

his email ...    dagro@dogparksoftware.com

note
he maybe be at dayton...so may not answer until he gets back.

Paul K3SF

Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 542 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Don, any plan on making pan scrolling be like SmartSDR or Stu's app where the spectrum and WF move together? We are so used to that now. Your is scrolling like classic PowerSDR and other normal apps. We get quite spoiled by such small, but hugely impactful features.
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
It's on the list
Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 542 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Thank you. Funny as it may sound, that plays a large part in my purchasing decision. I'm a GUI guy!
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Fixed in Beta 94 (still needs some work though)
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 535 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
New bug....If you have DogParkSDR running and then start MacLoggerDX, everything is fine.  If you quit DogParkSDR and attempt to restart it without first exiting out of MacLoggerDX, SDR will timeout and display the "No Panadapter Frames Received".   You must exit completely out of MacLoggerDX before DogParkSDR will successfully connect back to the radio.   The same problem exists if you were to start MacLoggerDX first, before connecting successfully with DogParkSDR.

Just trying to be a good beta tester for you Don.  
(Edited)
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Thanks Jay, it's a known bug mentioned on the web page:
  • Note: If you use MacLoggerDX and dogparkSDR on the same Mac you will need to run dogparkSDR first.
Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 276 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

Don,

I have put an old MacBook pro into use and works well. Is there no TX equaliser yet?

Andrew

Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
No, but it's on the list
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 512 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Don

I am really excited about this software.  I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago and then got beta 93 last night and made a few remote contacts.  Great job!
Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Continues to work great on the 2015 MacBook... now just need the VPN stuff
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 535 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
Don, you are software development machine!   100 builds in a little over 2 weeks.  Phenomenal!  That's the reason I plopped my money down tonight.    Your continued efforts to bring a "best of class" SDR client interface to the Mac OSX platform is so very much appreciated.
Photo of Jean-Luc / F5JRC

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• 63 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Don,

I don't know is this feature is on your list, but it could be nice to adjust the frequency in the Panadapter with the mouse (scrolling the mouse wheel up or down for fine adjustment). Thanks Jean-Luc / F5JRC
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I'll see what I can do, but I highly recommend the FlexControl for Tuning etc.

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• 63 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Thanks Don. I made my first contacts with dogparkSDR, away about 50 meters from the Flex6500 on the LAN network, and logged in MLDX, magic!
Just a little fear about SWR which cannot be checked... later maybe... 73's Jean-Luc
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
We will ad an SWR meter, but for now the ATU Status light gives you a pretty good idea.
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Would like an manual tune feature for external tuners. Thanks!
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Beta 111
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Hi Don, i have tested the SDR app, done good,
you know when starting DogparkSDR and after SmartSDR i think something happenning with radio profiles/memory:

1. extremely fast refresh rate 
2. Band change buttons not working any more in SmartSDR untill factory reset

also for you app itself:
- mouse clicking on PAN do not provide exact tuning point what selected with mouse pointer, always somewhere around and need other precise tune

And ofcourse looking for:
1. Tuning with mouse scroll
2. TX and RX EQ 
3. Other PAN`s etc
4. Some regulator should be on the TOP (IMHO:  like Volume etc..)
you know.....

Computer:  MAC 27 5K
Radio: Flex6700

Thank you for support
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Beta 115 has master volume stepper on HUD for Remote and Radio colume
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Thank you Don, will check tomorrow, i am already on "single side"
Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
With 1.5 coming tomorrow, does radio software matter to the mac client?
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
dogparkSDR doesn't check firmware revision numbers but we will make changes to the Mac client if needed.
Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
just came out!
Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I can get audio, no pan adapter/waterfall data... says no frames, audio works
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Running here, Remove Panadapter from the File Menu and then add it again
Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 542 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Don this is the same issue I was talking to you about on Yahoo for a few weeks now before 1.5 release.
Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
right on buddy, looks good!
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 512 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Don

Now that 1.5 is out, are you going to be adding the WNB function in dogparkSDR?  The software is really coming together.  I just recently purchased and check for updates every night.  Keep up the excellent work!  Keeps getting better and better.
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1053 Posts
  • 1073 Reply Likes
Incidentally, the API calls for WNB are backward compatible -- invoking the "old NB" in older software should turn on the WNB.  I've not tried this yet in dogparkSDR though to verify.
Photo of kjave63@yahoo.com

kjave63@yahoo.com

• 95 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I have gotten NOWHERE in regards to be able to get my 6700 running with version SDR1.5 with Parallels and Windows 10.  But in less than 20 minutes I downloaded the trial version of dogpark SDR and got everything working quite well!  This is the way it should be!  I imagine it is on a PC from the start, but I have liked MACS for so long, before it was trendy!  
Don, How can I get the full version?  I emailed you my serial number of my 6700.  Can you tell me the email to send my paypal payment.  I will do it now if you respond to me.  My email is kjave63@yahoo.com

Also, is there a way to have a single slice at a time.  I don't always like to have a A and B slice when I am only on one band just tuning around.
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
There is a "Buy Now" Paypal button on the web page - http://dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html

Control/right-click in panadapter brings up contextual menu, the contextual menu allows you to remove slices
Photo of kjave63@yahoo.com

kjave63@yahoo.com

• 95 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I tried that but since I am already registered with PayPal it wouldn't let me pay. Can you email me the email account for PayPal so I can send my registration fee. I want to support this effort as I think it is paramount that OS X users have quality software. I for one want to pay for quality software. Alpha, beta, whatever. If it's quality, I want to pay because it will get better of its worth it for the programmer.
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 739 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
WOW!, I just downloaded the demo. I'm impressed. Can't wait for the final product. MAC's have it all over Window systems. Nice job, Don.
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Thanks Bob.
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
What's the beta up too now and when do you think you will have the EQ?
(Edited)
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
1.0 was released on October 1st with TX and RX EQ
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
thanks!  Any plans on being able to view both pan adapters at the same time?
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Version 1 is limited to 1 Panadapter and 2 slices
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Any plans on have 2 panadapters?
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Version 2
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
how long is the registration good for regarding future versions?

Edit; never mind I see its for each major release. 
(Edited)
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
dogparkSDR is $95 per major release
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
You're doing a great job with this!  The MAC community is lacking support in this area and your support is fantastic. 
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Thanks Nick
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Not sure if it me but my mouse wheel does not move the pan adapter frequency position, only left and right arrow keys.  Is this by design?  Two things I think should be added. 

1. use mouse to select pan adapter frequency and the mouse wheel moving the frequency
2. add S units and DB display to S-Meter.
(Edited)
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
The magic mouse, any scroll wheel mouse and the touch pad can change the frequency by scrolling over the VFO stepper without clicking. This works for all steppers and sliders.

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• 63 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Hi Don, it works well on preference window for all sliders, but it is not working with VFO stepper (and HUD is selected, of course).
Arrows keys is great, but scrolling directly on dogparkSDR as we do with SmartSDR could be more natural.
Thanks, Jean-Luc
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Works on the HUD steppers here - it may be something to do with your System Setting mouse setup.
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
vox tick on HUD?
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Does not work at all here.
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
What does not work at all there ?
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
There will be a VOX switch in the Shortcuts menu, you can attach a keyboard shortcut.
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
using the mouse to move the frequency.  It should be sensitive to location like hovering over the pan adapter 

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• 63 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Certainly, will check later with other Mac and Mouse.

Please I have 1 question:
- How do you assign shortcuts to menu "shortcut"?

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• 63 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
thanks!
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
VOX added to Shortcuts menu in Version 1.01 Beta 6
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Not sure why stepper/slider scrolling in HUD working for some and not for others - may be type of scroll wheel/trackpad, has been in MacLoggerDX for close to 10 years without issue, will investigate.
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I have experimented this afternoon and I have the same problem. It does not scroll with a uSB Microsoft mouse. I tried the trackpad and when it starts to scroll it just keeps on going and going in one direction and I cannot get it to go the other way! I gave up on my Magic Mouse!
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
A magic mouse is all I will use, but each to his own. There are many ways to set the VFO in dogparkSDR, my preferred method is the FlexControl.

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• 63 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I try to transmit with the built-in microphone of my iMac27. I get some issues (overmodulated).
Please any idea to configure my audio with dogparkSDR (using remote in fact).
(levels in Meters?)
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 262 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
in dpsdr preference  panel for audio you should be able to reduce mic gain

Paul K3SF

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• 63 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Thanks Paul, I will try ro reduce again the mic gain and see what happening. Maybe I will purchase an old receiver to monitor my remote transmission :-)
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 535 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
Don,

When starting every new session of DogParkSDR, all of the persistence settings are gone.  The last band and frequency is reset to 20 Meters/ 14.500, The waterfall "C Gain" and "Black" settings are all reset, the AGCT is back to default, the selected transmit and receive antenna's are switched back to "1", etc, etc.  

Am I doing something wrong?  This is obviously frustrating.  Is there an appropriate order in starting/stopping DogParkSDR where the persistence settings are retained?  Thanks in advance.

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• 63 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Same issue here. Using also SmartSDR time to time, and generally when using dogparkSDR I keep the last settings from SmartSDR. But when I switch off and on dpSDR I get this issue, but not every time... thanks!
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 511 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
I have the same issue with persistence.  I have to reset Gain, antenna selection, panadater avg, etc. everytime I launch the software. 
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I don't know why some are seeing this and others aren't
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 535 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
Steve...Tim...Stu.... Any advice/recommendations you can give Don surrounding troubleshooting and coding persistence via the Smart SDR API and Stu's OS X/IOS Flex API?
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Version 1.01 Beta 8 does a much better job of saving the profiles when you quit dpsdr.
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 535 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
Great news!  I'll download it and look.
Photo of K0GGC

K0GGC

• 27 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I tried dogparksdr on my Mac Pro running Yosemite. The panadapter comes up everything looks fine but no audio.

When I go to preferences to toggle on mac audio, dogparksdr immediately crashes. I have tried re-installing and I get the same problem. No audio. 

Also the selection boxes for audio in and audio out are blank. There are no options for me to select.

I have the log file from a crashed session if you tell me where to send it.
(Edited)
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Some people have had problems with Audio when SoundFlower was installed.
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Press the email serial button in the registration prefs
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
DPSDR aways defaults to "B" slice instead of "A". Is  this the norm?
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I have noticed that too.
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
it's confusing as different than you are accustomed to!
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
If it has to create B
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
OH! I usually remove "B" unless split. So it then creates it on boot. ok.
I  notice in meters, that the mic and micpeak indicate input  although I do not have mox/vox, or any other input device active. It continuously monitors ambient room noise and headset. 
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Version 1.01 Beta 9 will set VFO A as active and transmit enabled if there are two VFOs
Photo of stan Hirson

stan Hirson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've just started trying  out the program and, so far, love it!  But... for some reason or other I have lost the HUD and cannot change bands, etc.  I had it, but in the course of  exploring the program I lost it!  It does not come up when I click on it in the Windows tab. 

I  am running Version 1.01 (Beta 9)
(Edited)
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Can you see/select the word HUD under the Window menu ?
Photo of stan Hirson

stan Hirson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, I can see the word HUD in the Window menu and can select it so that it is checked, but I do not see the box on the display. It's very frustrating because I cannot change bands, etc.

I runnng on a Retina MacBookPro with dual display (Apple) that I use all the time for my video work as a documentary filmmaker.  

Would love to be able to do the Flex on my Mac!
(Edited)
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
File Menu Email Debug Log will send an email to us with the Debug Log.
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Also, make sure you didn't accidentally drag the HUD into a different Space.
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I have not been able to find any way to hide the HUD that doesn't also hide the Panadapter window.
Photo of stan Hirson

stan Hirson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
JUST GOT IT BACK!  I was able to drag!  I will go back to testing!  Thanks.  
Photo of stan Hirson

stan Hirson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm so delighted with the program now that I have it working that I have been trying to register it.  I hit the PayPal button but just get the generic PayPal site and cannot register because I see no link to your account.  
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
The PayPal button was broken - thanks for catching it - working now but you may have to refresh the page.
Photo of stan Hirson

stan Hirson

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OK, just sent it in.  PayPal is under my wife's account, so there may be some confusion.  It should be in my name, Stan Hirson, W2VID, stan.hirson@gmail.com

Hope my info came through without too much confusion.  Sorry. Love the job you  did on the program!
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Thanks Stan. PayPal came through fine, you still need to press the Email Serial button in the Registration Prefs.
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 123 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Version 1.05 of dogparkSDR has been released.

What's new in this version:

* OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) compatible.
* Compatible with SmartSDR v1.8.4.
* Added FM repeater controls.
* Added support for Memories.
* Added scroll-wheel/trackpad tuning to Panadapter.
* Added Dark Mode option to Radio Prefs (OS X 10.10+).
* Added support for Apple App Transport Security (ATS).
* Fixed startup connection problem.
* Added System Remote (Mac) Audio device selections.

This is a free update and can be downloaded from: http://dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html

73 de VE3VRW Don Agro
Photo of John - WA7UAR

John - WA7UAR

• 140 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
New positive review on eham.net posted Dec. 13: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12515