dogparkSDR - MAC OS/X client for FlexRadio 6000 series

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago

For those who have not seen it, DogPark Software, the authors of MacLogger DX, MacLogger DX HD (iPad logger) and MacDoppler have released...  wait for it!

A native Mac OS/X client for the FlexRadio Systems Flex-6000 series radios.

You can see a copy of the press release at:

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2015/august/dogpark_sdr_version_1_0_public_beta_released.htm#.Vd4Q0zSD64s

which includes a link to the site where you can download a beta (demo) version of dogparkSDR as well as find a pointer to the discussion group on Yahoo Groups.

This client is in its early stages of development but its great to see a native application on Mac OS/X to drive the radio.

Don Agro, the Proprietor of DogPark Software writes amazing code as any of you have used MacLogger DX will know.  MacLoggerDX also has native support included to interface to the Flex-6000 series radios directly via the Ethernet API.

Stu K6TU
Photo of Stu Phillips - K6TU

Stu Phillips - K6TU, Elmer

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I just tried the beta, keeps crashing.  Sent the log off to them. 
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Sent the new debug file, crash again.
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Okay, that seems to have done it, no more crashing.  I'll feed back if I find anything else.
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 107 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Fantastic! Thanks for your help.
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Anytime
Photo of Bob Hinkle

Bob Hinkle

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Runs fine on El Capitan here !   Beautiful waterfall, and click and tune is great !
Bob KK8ZZ
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1570 Posts
  • 554 Reply Likes
Beautiful!!! Excellent baseline functionality already, in a very handsome interface. Will DAX, CAT, and FlexControl be supported as well? PayPal at the ready! 
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
I asked about that, not specifically Mac but portable, the answer was a resounding no. The idea of portable is you write it once, for every platform. You'll see what I mean when I release XPSSDR.
(Edited)
Photo of Stu Phillips - K6TU

Stu Phillips - K6TU, Elmer

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Ken,

My understanding is that N1MM+ is written in Visual Basic and tied to Windows.  So I think we are stuck still having to use a VM to run Windows. 

Stu K6TU
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3993 Posts
  • 1229 Reply Likes
Too bad.  if so, it just might be enough to get me to buy my first MAC!  for right now, it is Win10....

But I would LOVE to have something that ran under Linux Mint...
Photo of Bob Hinkle

Bob Hinkle

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Interesting... the Beta is a free download to try, and when I paid for a subscription the update was a 1.XXX series software !   Been playing with this all evening and it sets up easily, has a very nice bandscope/waterfall, and interfaces perfectly with MacLoggerDX for DX spotting, maps, and logging. FINALLY there's a completely Apple Mac OSX version of software for our beloved Flex-6000 series radios !  (I have a new Flex-6300 and no relationship to Dogpark software)   Cheers... Bob KK8ZZ
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1278 Posts
  • 656 Reply Likes
Doesn't Don list the software as Beta 1.0 and then release say 0.80?

Steve K9ZW

Here is what I grabbed as a screen shot:

Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
I'm currently running Beta 55.  Not crashing any more...but no sound.  Has sound been implemented yet?
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 107 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Beta 58

• 1557 Posts
  • 550 Reply Likes
Working nicely! Just used the client to check in to the Sunday Flex Net on 20m.

I'm guessing, Don, that you are pre-flighting GUI elements in "Preferences" before putting them on-screen? Filters and CW options soon? 

Q: Will DogParkSDR license work on 2 machines? My desktop and laptop? 
(Edited)
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 107 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Filters soon, CW a little later, and the license will work on any Mac with any Flex as long as the registered serial number is powered up on the LAN. At least that's what it's supposed to do :)

• 1557 Posts
  • 550 Reply Likes
Very fine work, Don. Now running on a MacBook Air, also. Very smooth over wifi, including audio. Ran for a good hour without hiccups. Looking forward to the next development. Will really get excited running CW and digital modes, someday. 
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Great remote client audio function.   Using Beta 63
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
It was my hope and wish over a year ago that he would take this project on.  Good going Stu for convincing him!!!
Photo of N4HY

N4HY, Elmer

• 47 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
AMEN thanks Stu.  I will put it on my Macbook Pro today and begin testing.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 404 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
As a child of the 60's .. I am loving the panadapter display. I wore a shirt like that most of my tenure at Stanford. At least I think I did .. if you can remember the 60's you really weren't there!
peace ...

W7NGA
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
I remember the 60's just fine.  I just didn't alter my conscience with chemestry.  I got high from watching NASA.
Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Running well on a 2015 MacBook - Beta 55 looks good

When can we pay for a version?
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 107 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Pricing and release info as soon as the Beta is stable
Photo of Robert -- N5IKD

Robert -- N5IKD, Elmer

• 488 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
I deleted both slices. When I try to add either slice I hear the radio clicking, but no slice appears. I can add a slice with the K6TU Control app and it appears on the dogparkSDR panadapter.
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 659 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
Works good on my MacBookPro (2014). We are on our way of saying goodbye to Windows. Terrific
Photo of N4HY

N4HY, Elmer

• 47 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Amen!  GOSH I hate Winblows.
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Me too, this app has some way to go to say goodby to the Flex app on windows but its a great start.
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I had some issues with the profiles at first.  I just removed the profile and restarted it to allow it to be recreated.  Seems to works fine now.
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 367 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
A few months ago, I bought my first Apple computer (MacBook Pro 13' Retina).  I have always had windows computers but figured I would try the MacBook.  I wish I hadn't waited so long because I LOVE it.  I have a dedicated Windows computer for my hamshack but it's exciting that there may soon be a full fledged client for the Mac.

Burch
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
What a Great Start!  And I put my money where my mouth is.  I like to support software companies early that are willing to take the risk and produce a product for something other than windows.  Don has brought other great mac software to the ham community.  I am glad to see him tackle this one.

I have it and macloggerDX loaded on a macbook pro - 15 in. Mid 2010 model with 2.8 core I7 and 8 gig mem. 

Cheers
Photo of Doug Hall

Doug Hall

• 189 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Let me preface this by saying that I have been using Mac OS X since 2002 starting with version 10.2. Since way before the Intel transition. I have written OS X applications using Objective-C and Cocoa and Xcode. I use Mac OS X extensively for video and photo editing. I like OS X. I like my Apple computers. And I develop Linux-based communications products for a living. So I'm not a Microsoft fanboi by any means, and I am not an OS X detractor.

Some years back I made an effort to only use OS X in the hamshack as well. For the most part I succeeded, using programs like Don's Maclogger DX and W7AY's excellent cocoaModem. But when I got interested in SDR I replaced the Mac in the shack with a Windows box, and even with a Mac version of SSDR I'm not sure I'd entertain going back to OS X just yet. The reason is that Mac OS X is (and has always been) way behind the curve when it comes to ham radio applications. That's not to say there aren't good ones out there, but the selection pales in comparison to what is available under Windows. You just aren't going to find anything equivalent to, say, N1MM+ or WSJT under OS X. At least not yet. I certainly hope that will change in the future, but it's a matter of how long you want to wait. If you dabble in RTTY or CW contesting (which I have done for years) or meteor scatter or moonbounce (which I have only recently become interested in) you'll find very little support under anything but Windows. And to my knowledge there is nothing like DDUtil available for the Mac, so if you have hardware that only works (or only conveniently works) by the grace of DDUtil you may be out of luck for the moment. Again, it just depends on how long you want to wait.

All this to say jumping to OS X might not be as easy as just running one application.

I applaud the work of those who are (or will be) bringing out SSDR alternatives for other operating systems, whether Linux or OS X or iOS or Android. I know it's a lot of work, and often a labor of love.

Doug K4DSP

• 1570 Posts
  • 554 Reply Likes
Great points, Doug. Nice thing is there are ports of WSJT-X and FlDigi that work pretty well. Mac-Native JT-Bridge, too. And thank heaven for Don Agro and his suite of apps. There aren't many ham apps for OS X, but the ones out there are quite good. It's a process moving away from Windows, for sure. Will probably keep a VM handy for CW Skimmer for a long time, still..
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
Doug, I agree with everything you just said, especially the last sentence. It's a chicken and egg thing. In this day and age there is no reason to be writing software with built-in vendor lockin, well, unless you don't know how to not. Going back to my experience with pmnos back in the 80s to XPSSSDR, (cross platform SSDR) its damn near thankless. I've spoken to Rick, I think that's the guy that bought hrd, and Steve of n1mm. Rick is ex Microsoft and I don't know what Steve's story is, perhaps momentum , perhaps just so many thousands of lines of vb. Back in 2012 at the boxboro hamvention there was a breakout session on an all Linux ham shack. DDUtil, excellent piece of code but how many people need a Swiss army knife? If someone knows design patterns and how to design to an interface, you'd have a portable and extensible beginning. After I get done with the portable GUI to XPSSDR I will interface it to a logging program either before or after I interface it to my linear and rotor. So long as its one person working in isolation it'll progress only as fast as they are interested in progressing the effort.

If you get enough people who know how to design and write software and don't have ego problems that are committed to ending the Microsoft centric ham world, that goal can be achieved in pretty short order.
I actually think Stu has the correct model, do nothing for free. Oh, the upgrade to win10 is free, therefore I shall. Based on the multiple threads on here over the last several weeks, I'd say it wasn't the least bit free. People delude themselves into thinking Windows is free. No, it really isn't.

Walt - kz1f
(Edited)
Photo of N7AIG

N7AIG

• 147 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Two thumbs up!!!
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Is there a way to adjust the width of the passband/filter width?
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 107 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
There will be
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Gracias Don!
Photo of Jim N5TSP

Jim N5TSP

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Beautiful example of fine-stitched integration of logging and Flex control. Just worked PP1CZ split on 20m ssb using my iPhone earplug/mic while watching football on the couch. I'm not a sales rep for dog park, but I recommend trying the combination of MacLogger and dogparkSDR, then you get a glimpse of where this is going...another step closer to nirvana for us Mac fans. I'm in.
Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Sounds great.

How did you key the radio? Is the mac audio Don has running receive and transmit?
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 99 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
There is a transmit button in the HUD and we are running Mac audio in and out in Beta 63
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3548 Posts
  • 1408 Reply Likes
Running 66 on MacBook Air from Paris via VPN to radio in La Jolla. V1.4.24 Furmware

First time I started it with Mac Audio enabled everything worked great. Very good alternative to my iPad remote

Second time I started it...No Panadapter Frames Received. Audio still worked ok

Running DDUTIL on home PC to control SteppIR, Amps and Wattmeter

YES. I need the Swiss Army Knife

What is might be the cause of no Panadapter display the second time?
(Edited)
Photo of Don Agro

Don Agro

• 107 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Use the contextual menu to make sure you have at last one slice and have a look at the Debug Log for errors (File Menu Show Debug Log)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3548 Posts
  • 1408 Reply Likes
It's 4 am. Here now. Will do that when I wake up today.
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 176 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Been experimenting with
dpSDR v1.00 b80 and mldx and extra-cluster and cocoamodem  running in osx 10.10.5
and
with DAX and sdrbridge and cwskimmer running in VM v8 win7
all on i7 mini with multiple monitors

extra-cluster is a program Don developed to read post from cwskimmer and place them in mldx. this allow for mldx to get posts from your local cwskimmer and from the wider inernet clusters at the same time

pic below i snapshot from two monitors

also

used mldx keyer feature with macros to key flex6300. My setup includes a winkeyer usb. This is a good substitute for CWX. You get macos and can send live cw and still use the key itself too.

Don is doing some awesome work to bring the flex to the mac community

Paul K3SF

• 1569 Posts
  • 554 Reply Likes
Hi Paul, I'm running just about the same thing - nice work! Funny that a whole Windows VM is there for DAX. How are you getting audio to/from CocoaModem? I have co-opted the single audio pair from Parallels and mapped it to DAX1 and the optical audio on my Mac. Not a perfect solution, but it works.
Photo of K3SF

K3SF

• 176 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
i use the following process to route audio about
a combo of soundflower and audacity
rightnow only doing copy..have not tried to transmit yet

see details here

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_mac.html

• 1569 Posts
  • 554 Reply Likes
Since I was down to one digital audio channel anyway, thought I'd go for broke and leave Windows entirely. With Don's latest beta, you can select "Mac Audio" audio inputs/outputs. I wired (fibered?) the optical ports together and use them instead of DAX. Works like magic after a little tweaking (put all my ports at the same bitrate and bandwidth - 2ch, 26 bit, 48k). 
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Don...I'm having a blast with your beta's.   
One nagging issue....When dragging the panadapter right or left significantly away from the current pass-band +/- 50 KHz or so, the panadapter will snap back to the current selected frequency of the pass-band.   You have to set intermediary frequencies less than 50 KHz to move up or down the band.   This is not intuitive and slows performing a QSY to a frequency up or down significantly in the given band.
Is there a work around or am I doing something wrong?  Thanks in advance!