Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does your flex do this.....

K5ROX
K5ROX Member ✭✭
Ive had a disconnect problem with my flex since new.(today its been ok for bout 4 days which is very rare)

If I click band and then click thru about 7 bands my Ethernet bar meter will go really low...it don't disconnect but my friends flex don't do this so I'm thinking if no one else's does I wont have to wait for flex to duplicate the problem and have my radio a month, I can just show then what mine only does.

If you would say but who would do this, im just looking for something to show flex my flex is dofferent.

Please check your Flex and post here...THANKS!

Click Band, then click thru several bands, mine usually does it on 7th band, order don't seem to matter, Does your connect meter bars go low?.

6600 win 10 SDR 2.4.9, but same on win7 on another computer and ive tried 4 switches,4 computers including the new I got last week and a ton of ethernet cables.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    It is likely and network problem, Does this still happen when connect directly to the radio without the network?
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Do a bandwidth test to see if you getting the correct bandwidth  speed that you  are paying XYZ Company.
    The last 12 days my Flex-6700 was acting that way. 
    I called Xfinity to find out that they have been working on the fiber lines. I was not even able to log in before the radio would fail. 
    I received  money credit and the repair brought my bandwidth too 180MBps.
    I am now a happy camper now!

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I just tried it and the Ethernet bar went red (on quickly selecting 8 bands) then back to yellow quickly, then it came back to green after few seconds.  No obvious data loss.

My 6400 is direct connected to 1 gig Ethernet card, W10, Firefox running. 

My guess is the computer processing of data from the Flex when quickly changing bands.  This is not something I normally do. 

• K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thank you so much for trying.....Was hoping it was just MY flex so they don't take forever to fix as its very interment.

I now my network etc is perfectely fine.

Mine does it even if I don't selects band quickly.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I tested it on mine.  I am running through a Netgear switch on same subnet.  When I switched through 9 bands my network connection went to yellow but came back green in one sec.   The color is  an indication of latency.  I am guessing the system is processing a lot of commands and the ethernet stack is exhibiting some latency.  I would NOT call this a bug.  I can not imagine why you need to step through all the bands as fast as you can click.   Changing from one band to another there is no latency.  
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for trying.....changing bands that often would'nt be normal, I just needed to know if only my flex did it as it will disconnect often, wondered if the 2 were connected.   MY Flex is very inconsistent, sometimes will stay connected for days, other time it will disconnect many times in a day...make remote impossible. Need something to show flex  it not normal....was hoping the changing bands was just Mine.
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    It will go yellow once in awhile while I’m just listening. No apparent data loss and I suspect my AMD high end (5 years ago) cpu might be slipping behind. This is direct connected so I suppose protocol has some way to signal a slow down if buffers are full. Don’t know enough here.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Running on my late 2018 Version I7 NUC 
    I have tested my F6600M running SmartSDR on the same Ethernet switch and ran through my radio here in the house about 35 band changes and no failures at all.
    I also have my F6700 running through 2 Netgear commercial Ethernet switch's and about 120' of old CAT5 Ethernet cable and ran thru 30 or so band changes and the Network dropped down to Red but NEVER did the radio disconnect, once I stopped changing bands within 3 or 4 seconds the Network indicator returned to all green.

Question: Are there ANY radio's transmitting at your station location maybe the radio it self or APRS when it disconnects the FLEX? 

Sorry can't help further 
    73's
    Bret WX7Y

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    K5ROX, I am not trying to be a 'smartass' but I do have to ask, how do you know your network is fine?    it sounds like you are getting network collisions somewhere.

Like trying to debug any electronics, you do have to run some tests to show you don't have network throughput issues.    There are software tools that allow you to test LAN bandwidth.

There are many smarter network people on this group than me, but they will be the first to tell you that it is easy to make a network functional.  It is hard to make it work at design specs.

Case in point, and I have shared this before.  I debugged a problem with my CW Skimmer crashing.  It was 100% related to a bad CAT5 cable.  I could swap the same cable in and out and when in, it would crash 100% of the time.

The other things to consider are your drivers for any Windows PC's up to date?  This is very critical.

Lastly, do you see the same problems if you have a LAN cable connected from a PC or a Maestro directly to the radio?  Please try that test without any network switches and see if you still have the same problem.  This removes anything else that may contribute to LAN latency, which is what you are seeing. 

If you still see latency with just the LAN cable, then open a support case and we will take care of you.

I hope that helps.

Mike 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I asked him that as well but he didn't reply.
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

Michael about 6 months ago we passed several back and forth emails and  you insisted it was my network...at your insistent I bought a new computer, switch and many network cables, I already had several at home that were never opened, I spent a lot of money.

No difference, so I went thru all the network cables and still radio would disconnect.

Then another switch and it wasn't cheap either, no difference.

And I tried yet another computer ,switch and cables, no difference.

So got busy moving to new house, been here bout 5 months, bout a week and a half ago I bought another new computer and tried a switch that a friend has which is fine, no difference.

for 3 days it would disconnect a few times a day.....I would simply reconnect...and Now its been connected for 4 days.....6 days is max its ever stay connected. Problem has existed since new.

During all of this I've uninstalled and reinstalled sdr a lot of times.

I've tried direct connect, I've tried disconnecting internet since radio connects to switch and switch connects to computer I wouldn't think that would make any difference as its disconnecting locally.

Radio doesn't do anything different then others, my fear is that Flex would have radio for a month or more.

Do you still say its my network?

I opened another support case about a week ago.....got nothing from it.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited February 2019
    Hi

Uninstalling and reinstalling won't make any difference, so we can rule that out.

I didn't see how the test went if you don't use a switch and just do a computer to radio LAN connection.

Did you get a chance to give that a try?

Mike

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Don't know if anyone has suggested this but have you tried setting the IP of the radio and computer to a Static address?
    Make sure in your router you have set your DHCP address window so it is outside the range of your static address's
    IE:  Set the Router DHCP range from 31 to 253  and then this will leave a IP range of 2-30 for Static addressing and then manually set your radio and computer to the 2 thru 30 IP range. 
    This is just a thought if something on your network is grabbing the same address from your Router then it would cause a problem with collisions like what your seeing as some one else suggested. 
    You will need to change the address port forwarding in your Router for Smartlink to work with the NEW static address of the radio but should not be to hard. 
    I have 2 radio's and a PGXL here and I have to set mine to static to keep port forwarding working right and have no issues at all. 

YMMV
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    One more idea here. Make sure there is not more that one DHCP server on your network.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I posted earlier on this subject; 
    That beside doing the network configurations and resetting the radio etc... 
    In addition, you must reset the modem by disconnecting the AC power and removing the  backup battery, if your modem has one. Otherwise, nothing will change and you'll be back here complaining about the radio "NO WORKING, blah, blah." 
    Try it

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Why would you need to reset the modem if you are modifying the router settings only?
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes tried direct connection.

Radio has been up for I think 5 or 6 days now...…..ive changed nothing, day before it disconnected twice.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited February 2019
    Ok, please open a support case.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    YES, My 6400 does this even when directly connected to the radio. I also have seemingly random disconnects, or the network health indicator goes yellow/red when I am just listening, not changing anything. Often after the disconnect, I cant reconnect unless I cold reboot the radio.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    John, have you started a Help ticket,,your radio should not be losing connection.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes, several months ago. The reply basically said it's always the network, never the radio.

I have tried many combinations of parts, but nothing I tried will consistently cause the failure except this rapid band changeand even it doesn't always lose connection, but will make the network status yellow or even red.

For example, tonight I connected SmartSDR IOS (wireless). A few seconds after the connection was established, the radio shutdown with flashing red light. Had to cold reboot to get the radio to reconnect. First time for that to happen.

I understand it's tough to debug intermittent failure, but this is my intermittent frustration with the radio. Everything else is good, except the WNB doesn't do anything on my noise level.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Do you mean Flex support was not willing to help you? you indicated so.  It is most likely a connection problem but you need help finding it. And there are some people here on this forum that are really good at this sort of thing.

I can confirm the WNB does work, without it some days renders my radio unusable.

I would start a new Help Ticket and ask for help.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2019
    The WNB works on certain types of noise. On powerline noise here it makes the difference of being able to receive on a band or not. I have seen up to 25 dB drop in noise floor on powerline sources. I have some YouTube videos of the WNB in action. BTW, I find the sweet spot for WNB slider is about 92 fot my particular powerline noise. Dave wo2x
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I'm not saying they were unwilling, just asked for more testing. I understand find an intermittent problem is very difficult until it can be reproduced, which I can't do for this issue. Changed cable, switch, router, direct connection etc but cannot reproduce it at will.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I should add that the computer has a 1G ethernet port. The win 7 resource monitor shows 1-2 Mb/S network traffic, so it seems that is well within the hardware capabilities.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.