Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

does v2.0 software support using paddles remotely ?

I am running a 6700 remotely wan and I want to use a paddle for cw .  Has Flex supported this aspect of remote operation yet ?

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Only on Maestro because it has a built in Winkeyer.
    Remotely you’ll have to use CWX or Winkeyer emulation. Otherwise, no. You cannot attach a set of paddles to the computer somehow and key the rig.
  • John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited May 2020
    Thank you for you reply Ria.  can you expand a little on Winkeyer emulation ?  thank you John kb2huk
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Winkeyer emulation allows you to set up N1MM+ or similar software to send CW. You would set up a serial port in SmartSDR CAT and set it to type "Winkey" and then configure this in N1MM+ or other software to communicate via this serial port.  

The winkeyer emulation doesn't allow paddles or straight key remotely. Only the Maestro (so far) allows that as it has a hardware winkeyer inside of it.  

I know there has been talk of various remote solutions but so far there isn't anything developed. 

Hope this has been helpful.

Ria 
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I would assume this gadget:

http://www.hamcrafters2.com/WKUSBX.html

on a remote PC running SmartLink (aka. V-2.0) remote CW is in the bag.

k3Tim
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    No. That is simply a Winkeyer. It can accept a USB connection from your software (N1MM+ etc) and outputs CW to a conventional transceiver. If you have a flex you can use the built in Winkeyer emulation which does the same thing. 
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks Ria, this is a bit confusing!  Luckily I have a Maestro so that solves the CW remote problem.  

Best,
    Tim

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    With two Winkeyers, one server, one client, you can do paddle remote.  The Winkeyer web site has the program that lets the two Winkeyers talk over the internet.  I have used it in the past.

It's not a perfect solution.  You use the sidetone from the Winkeyer at the client end.  You either have no headphones on or you find a way to mix it with receive audio.  Your sending has to be perfect since the client Winkeyer takes your CW and turns it into ASCII that is sent over the web to the other Winkeyer that turns it back into CW.  A goof on the sending end that is not a normal CW letter is not communicated.

John K1ESE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.