Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does the new VSP driver still occupy all COM ports? It seems to do that on my PC.

DH2ID
DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
Having installed version 2 of SmartSDR without having uninstalled the old FlexVSP driver
first I notice that all COM ports are still occupied by the new FlexVSP driver (or is the old one
still running??). Anyway my OS (W7) shows the driver to be version 1.0.5.

My question is: Do I have to uninstall the FlexVSP driver and reinstall version 2 to get free
COM ports or do I have to use the software, which can free them up?

73, Alex - DH2ID

Comments

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Not here only the 4 I have assigned.  
    I have the for the CAT assigned and 1 for Flex Control all others should be available.

• Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Here are two useful links regarding COM port management.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200883925?mobile_site=true&_ga=2.76186966.214997903.1501764556-533861665.1435584078

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html#arbiter

I hope one of these helps.

PS. You can also right click on the CAT Remove button to expose the "Reset FlexVSP Ports" action.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Alex,

The new FlexVSP driver in SmartSDR v2.0.17 corrects the problem related to com ports being marked as in use when the PC is rebooted.

In the SmartSDR v2.0.17 Release Notes, in the description of the new driver, there are instructions for you to reset the reserved or in use ports, after installing SmartSDR v2.0.17  I suspect you have not run this procedure.  

Mark above listed the URL to the HelpDesk article that describes how to reset the in use com ports.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Resetting the COM ports did it. I mistakenly thought, that the new FlexVSP driver
    would do that by itself ;-)
    73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Nope, that is a Windows registry thing.  It is good to hear that everything is OK now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.