Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does the Flex 6300 have to be hard wired to my router

Options
Does the Flex 6300 have to be hard wired to the router to access LAN ?
My network diagnostics show as excellent via Wi-Fi to the router.
Thank you.
Gm0lze

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't understand your question.... how do you have it connected?

6300 > PC > WiFi     ----     WiFi/Router > Internet

or

6300 > Wifi/Router > Internet   &   PC > Wifi/Router > Internet

My recommendation is to connect the 6300 to the Router directly or to a switch that is connected to the router. I would also connect the PC to the router or switch by ethernet cable, leave WiFi for portable devices.
  • Dolan Morrison
    edited May 2018
    Options
    6300 > PC > WiFi     ----     WiFi/Router > Internet
    Router is quite a distance from the shack.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Then the general answer to your question is "yes" to be able to utilize LAN Remote on other devices connected to your wireless network, the FLEX-6000 needs to be directly connected to your wireless router (the optimal configuration) -OR- use a wireless bridge in your shack and connect the shack PC and radio to the wired ports on the wireless bridge and the wireless bridge will put these devices on your wireless network.  There are disadvantage to using a wireless bridge such as limited bandwidth and packet loss.
  • Dolan Morrison
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Great.I got it figured now.Thanks for your help.Great job.
    gm0lze
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Dolan,

WiFi is very convenient in a home, many devices, no cables, etc... but it is not even close to the reliability and performance of ethernet. Many factors affect performance such as distance, neighboring WiFi networks on the same channel, and overall **** implementation of the WiFi standards by some vendors.

In order to achieve good compatibility with many devices (kindle, tablets, cellphones, etc...) many times you have to lower the standard of the WiFi and therefore the speed.

If at all possible try to run an ethernet cable as close as possible to your radio shack. A good cable network at home will be great to allow you to get HD on Netflix, excellent facetime or skype video conferences as well as great Flex radio experience, among many other things. In my house we use so much the internet for everything.... VoIP phones, Chromecast, Netflix, Roku, Wimo, Flex, tablets and cellphones...so many things.

I consider running cable for ethernet in a home a very wise investment.

Enjoy your Flex radio.

• Dolan Morrison
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks for your help.Looks like i  will have to invest in some Ethernet cable.
    This Flex community very helpful and quick forum.
    gm0lze

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.