Does the Flex 6300 have to be hard wired to my router

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Does the Flex 6300 have to be hard wired to the router to access LAN ?
My network diagnostics show as excellent via Wi-Fi to the router.
Thank you.
Gm0lze
Photo of Dolan Morrison

Dolan Morrison

• 19 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1747 Posts
  • 532 Reply Likes
I don't understand your question.... how do you have it connected?

6300 > PC > WiFi     ----     WiFi/Router > Internet

or

6300 > Wifi/Router > Internet   &   PC > Wifi/Router > Internet

My recommendation is to connect the 6300 to the Router directly or to a switch that is connected to the router. I would also connect the PC to the router or switch by ethernet cable, leave WiFi for portable devices.
(Edited)
Photo of Dolan Morrison

Dolan Morrison

• 19 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
6300 > PC > WiFi     ----     WiFi/Router > Internet
Router is quite a distance from the shack.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9130 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
Then the general answer to your question is "yes" to be able to utilize LAN Remote on other devices connected to your wireless network, the FLEX-6000 needs to be directly connected to your wireless router (the optimal configuration) -OR- use a wireless bridge in your shack and connect the shack PC and radio to the wired ports on the wireless bridge and the wireless bridge will put these devices on your wireless network.  There are disadvantage to using a wireless bridge such as limited bandwidth and packet loss.
(Edited)
Photo of Dolan Morrison

Dolan Morrison

• 19 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Great.I got it figured now.Thanks for your help.Great job.
gm0lze
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1747 Posts
  • 532 Reply Likes
Dolan,

WiFi is very convenient in a home, many devices, no cables, etc... but it is not even close to the reliability and performance of ethernet. Many factors affect performance such as distance, neighboring WiFi networks on the same channel, and overall crappy implementation of the WiFi standards by some vendors.

In order to achieve good compatibility with many devices (kindle, tablets, cellphones, etc...) many times you have to lower the standard of the WiFi and therefore the speed.

If at all possible try to run an ethernet cable as close as possible to your radio shack. A good cable network at home will be great to allow you to get HD on Netflix, excellent facetime or skype video conferences as well as great Flex radio experience, among many other things. In my house we use so much the internet for everything.... VoIP phones, Chromecast, Netflix, Roku, Wimo, Flex, tablets and cellphones...so many things.

I consider running cable for ethernet in a home a very wise investment.

Enjoy your Flex radio.
Photo of Dolan Morrison

Dolan Morrison

• 19 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks for your help.Looks like i  will have to invest in some Ethernet cable.
This Flex community very helpful and quick forum.
gm0lze