Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does the CWX window (or SmartSDR for that matter) have to be the active window in windows for the fu

N0EG
N0EG Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm considering the purchase of a Flex 6400.   Does the CWX window (or SmartSDR for that matter) have to be the active window in windows for the function keys to send?  I often find myself messing around on the computer on different screens.  Today I use a FTDX 3000 with the remote keypad.  If a DX pileup is going on I can just press the 1 button to send my call.... even if I'm working on my PC.   I'm concerned that If I assign F1 to send my call that I'd have to click to make the SmartSDR active THEN hit the F1 button to send my call.  

Thanks!! 
Josh - N0EG

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hello Josh.  Assuming you're using SSDR on the PC, not the Maestro, the SSDR window needs to be open to access the F-Key functions of CWX.  The CWX window does not need to be open, but SSDR must be the active window.  This is pretty much normal for Windows programs from my experience since each program can set its own F-key functions.  You could do this with an outboard WinKeyer, Logikeyerd or similar.
  • N0EG
    N0EG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for the quick response.   To clarify.   If I'm typing an email and the SSDR window is not the "active" one in windows it will NOT send the F1 (my call in this case)?    For example, I'm typing out this message and also trying to work the Burkina Faso pileup.... I CANNOT quickly hit F1 instead of clicking on the SSDR window to make it active THEN clicking F1?   Good info on the Maestro.  I was actively reading the Users Guide to try to find out the answer to that very question.... So it looks like I could program F1 to "send cw" then "n0eg".  I like that.   

Thanks again!
    Josh - N0EG
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    A push of the function key works with both the Maestro and the "M" models. 
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    That is correct about the Maestro.  I have two keys set up for exactly this situation - one sends my call, the other sends the standard DX report back to him.  However, regarding your other question, I can only answer based on Version 2 SSDR because I have not upgraded to Ver 3.  If you are running PC-based SSDR but are typing an email in your email program, hitting F1 will do whatever your email program, your currently active window, has it set for.  This is standard Windows operation.  The SSDR window has to be active for the F1 to send your CWX message.  I hope this helps clear things up.  Again, this is based on Version 2 - I'm not sure what Version 3 adds where the Maestro can be used in conjunction with SSDR on the PC. 
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    This is correct for V3 as well. Windows only "interacts" with the window that has the focus (Active).
  • Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Pop Out CWX!  You can have CWX pop out from the SMART SDR display window.  Then use F1.  Or, you can use the "Flex Control" usb knob and program the AUX buttons for CWX 1 and CWX 2.  I just tested this with my Windows focus on this email browser.  It worked without changing focus, or opening CWX.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Cool. Good to know.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    That is super to know, Bill - had not tried the FlexControl or the pop-out options - Thanks!
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Joel,

The answers above are correct.  Function keys will only be sent if SSDR is the active window.

With respect to sending CWX functions from a controller it is definitely possible but you must have a piece of software running that intercepts the controller keypress and sends over the CWX API command to trigger that CWX function.

I've written a number of these that are based around MIDI controllers.  If some kind of a MIDI control box is what you plan to use then doing this is fairly easy and I'd be willing to help you out with a small piece of software to translate various buttons on your controller to send various function keys to CWX.
  • N0EG
    N0EG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thank you all for the quick and great feadback.  I'm even more optimistic about purchasing a Flex now that I see how great the community support is..... Now let's just hope for the Christmas Bonus not the Jelly of the Month. 
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I don’t have direct experience yet with it but I think the StreamDeck device, from Elgato, and when interfaced to FRStack and it’s Flex API, should also give you a one button option to transmit prepackaged CW content.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    It does John. Amazing all of the great things FRStack has brought to the operating experience including easy CWX with the Stream Desk.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.