Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does the 6600M have relay or pin diode filter switches?

David Salomon
David Salomon Member ✭✭
I may be using my new 6600M for MIL-ALE-141 via PC-ALE or MARS-ALE (or both).  When scanning, the software can do up to 10 frequency switches per second (multiple bands).  A radio with relay switching for the filters will die quickly under those conditions (at least the relays are likely to die an untimely death).  A radio that uses pin diode switching should fare much better.

So, which is it for the 6600M?

73 - David, AG4F

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2020
    This is a fallacy that the radio will die quicker with relay switching.  The relays are rated for a very high number of actuations.  I did the math a while back and if the radio ran 7x24x365 with a band change every 10 seconds, you will not hit the rated spec for something like 10 years. 

BTW, it is a reed relay, not a pin diode.
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Tim -

Thanks for the elmering!

So the 6600M is using reed relays vs mechanical relays, correct?

73 - David, AG4F
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    WOW I’m glad to hear that they are reed relays they are super reliable and fast.
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    That makes two of us.
  • Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Is the same relay used in the 6400?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Yes
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    In QSK mode, it uses a reed relay.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.