Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does the 6500 and the Maestro have to use the same SW version?

Currently the 6500 has 1.10.830 installed and it works fine.
Recently, whenever I turn on the Maestro, (same network, different room) it asks me to select a SW version. My choices are:

2.0.19  Software download and radio update
2.0.17   same as above
1.9.13   radio update only
1.11.12  radio update only
1.10.16  software download and radio update.

I picked and last version listed 1.10.16 as it is the closest to what is on the 6500 when I use it without the Maestro.

Now I have to wait 89 minutes for the update. Yes, I've done this before.
When It finally finishes the Masetro will work.However... when I go to the computer and start up SmartSDR, it will ask for a software downgrade. After a few minutes it will do it, and I can use SmartSDR, but when I get back to the Maestro I'll have to start the whole process again.

How can I "sync" the same SW versions in both the 6500 and the Maestro?

I don't have the time to waste 90 mins whenever I turn on the Masetro, or 5 minutes when I use the 6500 solo. Obviously I must be doing something wrong.

This problem developed recently. I used to be able to seamlessly switch between the two operating positions. 

Really getting to be a drag.
Thanks-

Bill K1SM

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Yes. It has to be on the same version. 

SSDR for iOS and other third party clients don't require that. 
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes, and you can upgrade and downgrade as often as you like.  It does not take long to do and is very handy for trying new versions.
  • Bill Hassan - K1SM
    edited June 2020
    I have never seen a place to chose the SW versions with the 6500... (the Maestro gives me a choice), it just tells me to downgrade and picks a version. Currently I'm watching the Maestro do a SW download and a radio update to 1.10.16. (53 minutes remaining!)  Hopefully when I go back to the radio and start up SSDR it will boot. I left it with 1.10.830.
    Are they supposed to sync to the same SW version?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    With the 6000 series of radio, you chose when you pick of version of SSDR from either your desktop of the windows start menu.

You can have many different versions installed on your computer and there is no requirement to uninstall the previous version.

Mike

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    It is always a good idea to run the latest official releases of the Flex software, unless there is a documented bug serious enough to warrant reverting to an older version.  (Which is rare).

You can always find the latest versions of SSDR for Windows on the Flexradio.com website, under Support > Downloads > SmartSDR for Windows> Installers...

http://www.flexradio.com/support/downloads/

It may not be required to uninstall the old version when upgrading to the new version, but I usually do, just to prevent confusion.

But if you don't want to uninstall the older versions, here are a couple of alternatives to reduce "version confusion:"

1) You can simply put shortcuts to the newest versions of SSDR, DAX, & CAT in a folder on your Windows Desktop.  Use these shortcuts to open the appropriate programs.  In fact, I have a folder that includes shortcuts to all of the standard programs I open during a typical session in the ham shack.

or

2) You can "pin" the shortcuts to SSDR, DAX, & CAT to your taskbar and open them from there.  Be sure to "unpin" shortcuts to previous versions.

or

3) You can "pin" the shortcuts to the "Start Menu" and "unpin" the shortcuts for the older versions."

All three of these options would allow you to open older versions if you ever need to.  But their shortcuts will not clutter your Desktop and confuse you.

Good luck.

Ken - NM9P
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I think the specific case mentioned was running a shack with two radios and 1.x and 2.x software. In that case it would be kind of time consuming to switch back and forth, I agree. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    Bill,

Let me give you a really simplified answer.

No, you do not have to run the same version of software on each, but if you do not, the radio will have to up or downgrade the radio's firmware to match.

You should run the same versions of software for Maestro and SmartSDR for Windows so that you do not have to do the firmware up or downgrades.

You are not running the latest version of SmartSDR for Windows.  You are running 1.10.8.  Run the latest version of SmartSDR v1.11.12 for BOTH SmartSDR for Windows and Maestro.

For SmartSDR for WIndows, you will have to download it from the web server and install it.

For SmartSDR for Maestro, select it from the screen

If you pick a different version, you will have to go through this update process every time before you can use the Maestro or SmartSDR for Windows.
  • Bill Hassan - K1SM
    edited October 2017
    Thanks all. Problem was in the ESO software. (Equipment Superior to Operator).

I was clicking my desktop shortcut to an earlier version, I thought they just copied over each other.
    Anyway, I moved the old versions to a folder and now the  shortcut points to the most recent version.
    All is well. Excellent advice all around.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.