Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does Flexradio have supliers outside of China?

Gerald
Gerald Member ✭✭
My Ten Tecs internals are made in China and replacement components are no longer available.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Flex Radios are built in Texas. Can you explain more what you were asking?
  • Gerald
    Gerald Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm actually trying to determine if Flexradio has multiple supply chains. The radios I'm familiar with are modular but the modules are manufactured by just one shop. When that shop gets a bigger and better order they frequently stop production of parts for our small community and go on. This is business but, it may leave the owner of an expensive radio with an un-reparable unit.
  • Tim W
    Tim W Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Correct me if I’m wrong here but I’m told that the internal circuit boards are assembled in Texas. The electronic components that comprise these assemblies will be sourced from all around the planet. How does this relate to the availability of spares further down the track? Am I missing something here?
  • Gerald
    Gerald Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The SCUs are units that are of most concern. If they are made by a singular source and that source drops the unit, it may take a while to find a replacement if ever. 
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Not to worry.  We have multiple supply sources.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There is little reason to be concerned, The companies they get the chips from supply most of the largest companies in the world.

As with any electronic device, name any of them... over the years parts could be harder to find,,or the specs for the part has changed.

Flex has researched and talked to parts providers to insure the radios are viable over a number of years.

But there are times when the unexpected happens, such as the CPU fans in the 6500 6300 and the 6700 radios. They have not been made in some time, so as some fans have failed Flex has located a replacement. A heat sink and fan combo.
  • Gerald
    Gerald Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping for. I'm delying my purchase until January to see how this trade war plays out. It would be great to see an expansion in Western hemosphere electronics industry.
    Jerry kd6et
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Really?  

Is there is ANY multi-component electrical device of ANY type that you could buy at a consumer level that is built from components from any singular center of commerce in international commerce?

Whether a USA built radio, a USA assembled Auto, or even if you had a new home built here in the USA it would take highly dedicated efforts to avoid significant and important international components.

If you go out this weekend for a nice dinner and you want to avoid international components you best leave off the spices, as spices are long sourced from far away places and been the focus of several "trade wars."

In the end all countries profit by trading with each other, and  unless you plan on breaking your new radio so many times that you run both FRS and the entire supply chain behind them out of components you are only imagining an untoward risk.

As they say "play ball!"  Let the games play on!

Steve
    K9ZW

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    We build all circuit boards in Austin, TX.  Our major semiconductor component suppliers are US companies like Analog Devices, Texas Instruments, and Xilinx.  We as almost all companies have some components supplied out of China.  We have not seen a big impact yet but there could be some impact in the future.  No one really knows at the moment, even the distributors.

Gerald
  • Gerald
    Gerald Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Great summary! I'm just feeling burned over radios from another old but trusted company. It sounds like Flex has it's acts together. Thanks  KD6ET
  • Gerald
    Gerald Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Many thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.