Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does Flex still have an Tech Support phone line?

KF4HR
KF4HR Member ✭✭
Does Flex have a Tech Support phone line or are they exclusively using email Trouble Tickets now? 

Answers

• Rick Wykoff
    Rick Wykoff Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Trouble tickets and they reply real quick.
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I just wish they would FIX some of the long standing reported problems
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for the replies.  I'd like to see phone support return too.  Considering how much I have invested in Flex, not being able to reach someone on the phone is disconcerting. 

Also a friend (WB0AOD) and new Flex owner had his 6600M fail several days ago.  He submitted a Trouble Report last week and he's anxiously waiting on a response.    
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Lawrence, Dudley
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    like what?
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Issues when selecting 2M comes to mind (6700).
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Dudley-
    Enjoy your retirement days. Had a very helpful conversation at the dinner.
    73;
    Bill
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If the ability to talk with tech support is truly gone then that is an unfortunate move on Flex’s part which will leave a bad impression in the Ham community and risks their competitors twisting and using against them. While the community site Is a great resource, it’s not a substitute for direct communication with a person who is empathetic to the users frustration with a problem. One of Flex’s many strengths is its people and there personal communications with their users. As Hams we clearly like talking with folks and enjoy learning via those communications. We don’t get the same experience by communicating via Email. Watts K4QJZ
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Flex company has not commented on this yet.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    A warm human being is important - Dudley you are sorely missed.  A very high percentage of issues can be quickly handled by a live support person.

The remainder can be handled via help desk and they do a great job but the help desk should be an enhancement not the only option.

Back in the day before I discovered Flex I received excellent support from Yaesu - just saying.
  • Alan Cerniglia
    edited June 2018
    Gonna miss ya there Dudley...  Have a good time..  If you have a pile of Round-to-It's like I do, you'll be awful  Busy...  LOL  or ( Honey Do's )
  • Alan Cerniglia
    edited June 2018
    Between here, the community , Facebook, & the trouble ticket, which is very effective & fairly quick. I just don't know where you can get any better high quality support.
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited June 2018
    Greg gone, now Dudley ,  FRS may as well close up shop and move to China or maybe they have.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Trouble tickets have worked fine for me in the past with fast responses.  Just keep response time to a minimum, nothing worse than having a radio inoperable and waiting days on a return call.

• ricky
    ricky Member
    edited March 2019
    this is why my new flex in is the box for sale you can call yaesu and TALK to a real person and it only takes about 20 min 
    so yaesu ft5000 back on desk and first and last flex in the box going to next ham fest
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I'm sure, that's silly...
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Your loss, someone elses gain
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Think key word is .. RTFM .. Read that f.. Manual. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    RTFM = Read The Flex Manual
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Tnx Tim .. why didn't I think of that? Guess I've been working to long with computers where they are those " F .. manuals "   :)

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

When I was in law school we had a notorious professor who expected you to have read all the material before you set foot in class. If you did not know the answer to a posed question or asked a question which you should have known because it was in the material he would hurl the offending piece of legislation at the hapless student with the exclamation the answer was "in the f..... act". Crude, but effective. Although, I doubt you could get away with that now!

Tim VE6SH

• ricky
    ricky Member
    edited June 2018
    ok you say read the manual lets see nope it does not say anything about why flex has ex display on back of radio and the screen is side ways when you turn the radio on but I could call yaesu and get this worked out
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tim's response says it all and Howard, always good advice.  Starting the support process via the online ticket has many advantages. It forces the person to think through the issue and document it. The more information provided, the better chance of a faster resolution. It is far more efficient than someone on the phone trying to decipher your problem then writing it down, things can get lost in translation. I bet some tickets were even cancelled by the person creating the ticket because during the documenting process they realize they forgot to do this or that or something silly. I know this for a fact cuz it's happened to me. Started a ticket, listing out the symptoms and what I had tried and then remembered I thought I tried something, but actually did not fully complete the test. So ended up not completing the ticket, as I resolved the issue myself. So I only wasted my time. If I were to have called Flexradio and after a half hour realized, opps my mistake, sorry, I not only would have made a fool of myself, but I would have wasted their time and would have taken valuable resources away from a customer who really needed support.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    This is a software issue that was resolved in SmartSDR v2.2.8. (defect #5989)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    On top of that, FRS has set up this community, and a large group of experienced “Elmers” to assist others who may not need to go “all the way to the top” with a Help Desk ticket. This serves as a kind of triage that doesn’t waste the time of Customer Experience and Service Techs with simple operator error questions. This prevents time wasting exchanges like “Q: I get no power output on SSB...”. “A: Do you have your mic plugged in?” “Q: Yes.” “A: Do you have that Mic input selected in the control panel?” Oops.....
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It may be not long when other Ham radio companies follow suit. Phone based help is not so effective. You may be able to take 10 calls a day, but with the help desk you may have 20 or 30 tickets on the go all the time, and most problems are solved here on the community anyways.
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I did help desk and your comments show lack of knowledge on normal help desk jobs. If we did 10 per day we would have been on the street.

Our phone service was very effective and you cant always find the facts by putting it in writing. Many times during a phone conversation one small piece of information that seemed to be  insignificant ended up being the problem.

I have owned several Flex radios and like their operation but the money I was saving for a new one will go to another company.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.