Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does flex 6500 provided 8 dax channels

Options
Ray G6UJB
Ray G6UJB Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Does the flex 6500 provide all 8 channels to DAX ?

I know you can only select 4 slices/dax at any time, but when I select channels 5 to 8 on SmartSDR 1.4.16 nothing changes on the DAX control it stays on the last channel selected if it was 1 to 4.

I have a feeling that when I first received the 6500 I could chose any 4 channels from any of the 8 DAX channels, or am I miss remembering?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes, you can run 8 channels of DAX, which is more than the number of slices. I use them as default settings for various programs (for example, DAX1 for WSJT-X, DAX2 for FlDigi, DAX3 for WSJT-10, etc., so I'm not having to adjust all the time. Of course, this doesn't work simultaneously. Only four.
  • Ray G6UJB
    Ray G6UJB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi George, thanks for the feedback. That's a little worrying that I only seem to be able to use the 4 channels, hopefully this is not a hardware issue. I wonder if any one else has experienced this?
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Many people disable the upper DAX channels so that they do not show up in programs that cannot list that many sound devices. Is it possible that you previously disabled the upper channels? (Just shooting in the dark)
  • Ray G6UJB
    Ray G6UJB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi Robert, Thanks for the thought, but No unfortunately, I did think this so I've just tried doing a clean re-install of SmartSDR and as far as windows "Sound" tools  is concerned all the playback and Record DAX channels are enabled.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The software has the capacity to have 8 but the radio only has 4 slices so only use 4 can be used at once. 

This does however make one want to wonder if you could get two or more DAX channels on the same slice?   The thought around this would be to decode PSK 31 PSK 63 and PSK 125 at the same time through different software packages.  There is one or two contests that could be helpful.

Would not be widely used but its a thought.

Mike
    N9DFD
  • Ray G6UJB
    Ray G6UJB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Well I've tried reinstalling the SmartSDR 1.4.16 S/W and carried out a factory reset of the 6500, disabled the PC firewall but I still cannot get the DAX control to see channels selected from 5 to 8.  All the DAX channels are enabled on the Windows Sound control and the default and default communication flags are set on the laptop microphone ... This is starting to worry me now.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    No, you can't have multiple DAX channels on a slice, but you can have multiple slices (each with their own DAX) on a single frequency or band.
    I've used that to "head to head" compare two packages with the same signal set.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Ray - I think you've hit something. I went and tried to reproduce your situation and was completely able to -- something seems to have changed.

I used to be able to access all 8 DAX channels as described (I used Ch 8 for Skype very happily). 

Now, though, I can select them in the DAX Control Panel, they turn yellow but attempting to select a slice doesn't go above DAX4.

Interesting!

Tim?

• Ray G6UJB
    Ray G6UJB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    George, Many thanks for giving that a go and that's very interesting, I'm sort of relieved and not at the same time if you know what I mean that its not just me (sorry).

Hope I haven't over stepped the mark, but I've raised a helpdesk ticket to see what comes back from the support team. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sounds like this could turn into a feature request.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DAX channels are 1:1 with slice receivers.  But you can have multiple computers, each running the DAX control panel, that listen to the same channels.  For example, you could run RTTY decoders on multiple computers -- say MMTTY on computer A and 2-tone on computer B, each listening to the same DAX channel(s).
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi, Steve - see my comment below. Any way to use all the channels as selectable presets? 

• Bob-N9MBR
    Bob-N9MBR Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It would be nice to be able to use all 8 DAX Channels with my 6300.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It would be nice of the 6500 was the same price as the 6300
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It would be nice if Ferraris were the same price as Yugos.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.