Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does anyone have the Woodbox Radio TMate2 working with SmartSDR?

KC2QMA_John
KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I was curious if anyone has the Woodbox Radio TMate2 working with SmartSDR?

Answers

• Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I use the TMate 2 with N4PY's Pegasus Plus to control the 6700. I don't know of any other software that supports the TMate 2 with the Flex.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I know there is a small app that comes with the Tmate2 that is supposed to connect to PowerSDR via serial port commands I wonder if will work with SmartSDR directly?image
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Well I got the Tmate 2 in the mail today and... Some of the functions work and some don't.
    Woodboxradio says they will have an update in the near future?

I am running in PowerSDR mode right now.

Let's hope this it soon!
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    What is PowerSDR mode? Does this interface with SmartSDR?
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The small program that comes with the Tmate 2 is written for PowerSDR at the moment so when I connect to SmartSDR I can only get a few of the functions to work at this point until they update the console software to work directly with SmartSDR.

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Spoke with Woodboxradio today In Italy and it looks they are working on getting the Tmate2 to work with the 6000 Series but they need to get a hold of a radio and more info on the command code for SmartSDR.

May take a month or more?

If this is something that is of interest to other flex 6000 users let WoodboxRadio know.

WoodboxRadio’s Website is http://www.woodboxradio.com/tmate2.html

Email: gcampana@telemar.it

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    This looks like something a smart person (that rules me out) could develop around an Arduino or Raspberry PI. I'd love to take on a project like this but I just can't seem to understand the SmartSDR commands. Documentation seems plentiful but it just isn't sinking in. So far I can mute audio and change volume. Voilà.

I like the look of the Tmate 2 and picture all sorts of uses for the buttons and dials. Not overboard like a Maestro and maybe a little more functional than the Flex knobby thingy.

I sure would like to see more external development efforts around the Flex. One day I'd love to be able to just drop SmartSDR and plug some other vendor's front end interface in. I'm thinking some competition in that respect would shake things up a bit. 

Oh if only I paid attention in school.

Kev K4VD
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    All of that would be possible if someone could make a simple MIDI to SmartSDR interpreter application/ Waveform.
    All that you need is a cheep $19 USB MIDI interface.

The way it would work is first you would pick the function in the SmartSDR MIDI interpreter app and then you plug in almost any MIDI based controller and have a MIDI learn feature.

So for example lets say you want to assign VFO-A to a knob on the controller first select in the SmartSDR MIDI interpreter app VFO-A control hit the MIDI learn button function then move the knob on the MIDI controller and then the control Application/Waveform knows to assign that knob to that function.

I know that seems like a simple explanation but this type of feature already exists in some of the music production software that I use everyday in my day job.

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Here are just a few examples of MIDI controllers that could work.

imageimageimage
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Here is a link to a $29 USB MIDI interface 

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MConnect
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The nice thing about the Maestro, Tmate 2 is that they are built for SDR Radio.

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Wasn't there some old threads about using the Behringer midi interface or was that for another radio? I'm going to have to do some searching. Looks interesting.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_21pNX-AQ

Interesting. Seems very possible!
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes but the software that was created by William only works with one controller and it's fairly tough to get working.
    Here is the link to the topic.
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/behringer-cmd-micro-dj-midi-controller-for-use-with...
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes I have seen this before and this is just what I am talking about.
    This is proof that this concept can work.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Actually, if you get the "processing" program (free download) that William used and learn how to do the logic, you can use his source code and change the device definition and reprogram the codes so that you can assign the knobs for different controllers. I have had versions running with a Behringer PL1, and a Hercules DJ 2LE. Both required a little reprogramming, but once you study the program flow and discover the midi note values used by the different buttons and knobs on the new controller, you can make just about any midi controller work. I got side tracked about a year and a half ago and never finished my program. But I may get back to it this winter. I hope to incorporate a configuration file that can be edited with the device codes, midi values, etc. so I can reporogram for a different controller without getting into the source code again - just edit the button and knob assignments in the configuration file. Ken - NM9P
  • I0JBL - Luc
    I0JBL - Luc Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Me too and is an excellent combo
    Luc, I0JBL

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.