Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does anyone have experience using ZeroTier for remote access?

Geoff AB6BT
Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in Remote Operation (SmartLink)

Answers

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi Geoff, 
    ZeroTier seems like a fascinating concept... and is a working product for early adopters. I'm imagining it could become an alternative to running SmarLink or a personal VPN to securely connect/tunnel to our remote stations?

Below is a link to their 'about' page and a link to their online manual.

I'm hoping someone here in the Flex community with more understanding than I have could theorize/explain how using something like ZeroTier might allow new methods for remote radio operation of Flex Radios (or any network capable radio). Thanks for asking the original question.

https://www.zerotier.com/about.shtml and https://www.zerotier.com/manual.shtml

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I am going to play around with this virtual network solution but if you buy this hardware box it would seem the Flex could be made local when it is remote.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zerotier-edge-open-source-enterprise-vpn-sd-wan#/updates/all
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    So I decided WTH -- and I ordered one the ZeroTier Edge virtual network hardware boxes. It will eventually require a monthly fee for a basic connection to their "software defined network" (SDN) but the benefit for a Flex Radio Server could be huge. Live/learn/grow!
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hi but they are sold out? Thought I would do the same...
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    ZeroTier has posted an updated that they expect to begin delivery this coming Monday, October 15, 2018.
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zerotier-edge-open-source-enterprise-vpn-sd-wan/x/620106#/updates...

• Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the info. Will buy one. Have you received yours?
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    No. I’m sure I’m at the bottom of their list. I’ll post here again when I have an update. Thanks Kari.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Here is a 2017 (?) video interview on Facebook with the creator of the TierZero Edge router:
    https://m.facebook.com/appleboxnetwor...
  • Roland HB9VQQ
    Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hi John, any update on this ? Have you rceived the Zerotier Edge ?
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    In my original post I was not referring to hardware. I was just referring to setting up a software defined network.It's pretty ease to install and configure. All you need is a computer at each node.
  • Roland HB9VQQ
    Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well I wonder if you could install the ZeroTier One Client on the FlexRadio OS ...?  What OS is running on the Signature Series Radios ?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    You do not have access to any of the (quasi-embedded) OS’s involved - Linux on the 6xxx, and Windows 10 on the Maestro / “M” front end.
  • Tom - N3VM
    Tom - N3VM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Timing is everything.  Someone just posted that it seems ZeroTier looks like it works on a Ubiquiti Edge Router X >>
    https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter-Beta/ZeroTier-works-on-ER-X-2-x/m-p/2757995/thread-id/25157

I've not tried ZeroTier yet, but it's in my short list.  I likewise see a Flex 6600 in my not-too-distant future.

I expect someone could run an EdgeRouter X just as you might the hardware-flavor of the ZT product, and pass a "remoted" pc connection through to a bridged-lan (over ZC vpn solution).  This is better IMO than trying to run the vpn directly ON the radios or the Maestro.
  • KB4AAA
    KB4AAA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Zerotier also works on just about any Openwrt routers. You can virtually connect anything on your network anywhere in the world all encrypted and no worry's about open ports and port forwarding. I have been using this service for over a year with works great.
  • Tom - N3VM
    Tom - N3VM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for that Billy.  I'll add ZT also has Docker-container flavors too. It's VERY nice when the firewall vendors support ZT, because as you pointed out, no open ports. I've like to see Ubiquiti add ZC support to their UniFi Security Gateway (USG) product line. Who can say?
  • KB4AAA
    KB4AAA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Tom, I am amazed on how flexible ZT really is. I have one Openwrt router setup with 3 vlans and a different zerotier network setup on each vlan. I can goto any remote computer or RPI and install zerotier and pick which vlan to connect to and its just like being plugged into that network and it just works. I also have my "portable jobsite router" when there is no internet available.  I have a verizon usb lte modem plugged into a openwrt router with zerotier I can run security cameras, share printers, files, etc and all of the devices are part of the desired network.
  • Tom - N3VM
    Tom - N3VM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    That is great feedback Billy. I know ZT is (1) as easy as OpenVPN (perhaps easier?) and (2) about "as fast" as ipsec (with ZT being a good bit easier), and (3) also allows for simple bridging (to retain the multicast) -- at least in a small/simple environment, which is (4) similar to SSTP in SoftEther (again with ZT being a good bit easier) not to mention that SSTP is basically Microsoft-specific. It's unique VPN-offering in the use-case it covers.  I'm glad to hear it's flexible and high-performing. I've read a lot of times that people say it's like having a direct connection. It's really hard to improve on a compliment like that!
  • Roland HB9VQQ
    Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Ok finally I have installed ZeroTier on a cheap Raspberry Pi4 acting as a Bridge between my local LAN and mobile devices like Notebooks, iPad's etc. Now it is even easier to access my Flexradio while on the road. Works perfectly.

Roland
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Here's a link on how to set up ZeroTier access to your home network, using a single server on the home LAN to bridge a ZeroTier (remote) client to your local LAN. A RPi would work fine as this server, or any Linux box (I have a NUC running Debian). Allows you to install ZeroTier on any remote laptop (Mac or Win), or I suppose an iPad, too, then run it as if it is on your home network with your Flex radio:

https://zerotier.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/7471125/Layer+2+Bridging+of+Ethernet+and+ZeroTie...

I am away at the moment, but will be setting this up as soon as I am home (I sure missed remote access with SmartLink while away because I **** up port forwards :-) Teach me to test after making router changes before leaving on vacation!

[Edit]: I have no idea if there will be issues when implementing the instructions referred to above - I'll comment on them when I do it.
  • Roland HB9VQQ
    Roland HB9VQQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    No more port forwarding, no SmartLink required, No full blown Linux server needed. My deployment is with a small portable Raspberry Pi 4 with a single legged setup (eth0). Full layer 2 access to your home Network.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    This link provides instructions for using a single interface on a Linux system (a RPi would work). I prefer the two interface config I pointed to earlier, so I can use my shack Linux computer and not set up (yet another ) RPi. The single interface solution will likely temporarily break network access on the bridge device, which is nasty for headless or multi-use devices. But if you do not already have an existing system, and are putting in a dedicated bridge device, your single interface solution is perfect, Roland.

https://0wned.it/2017/12/04/building-a-zerotier-bridged-network/

• Tom - N3VM
    Tom - N3VM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi guys - I made a post today about ZeroTier.  Just trying to get attention on a feature request. Thanks, tom

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.