Do you want the waterfall to come on automatically or not?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
I asked about changing the waterfall to being hidden when you open a slice the open the waterfall if you want it. Since we are not given the option to have it of not on opening a new slice. Everyone I have talked to would like the option to have it open the way they want but if the option cannot be given they state they would like it to open hidden then bring it up if they want it.

I had a comment that my statement that the majority wants it to stay as it is because it is the way they want it. So being a believer in the majority being right I would like to see if you want the panafall to open with each slice or not. Let's not get into a debate either way just answer "open" which means leave it like it is. Or "not open" which means the panafall will be hidden. I do not believe we will see a button option anytime soon so open or not open.

Let's see how the community feels on this everyone should have a position on this so let's see how this comes out.
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 413 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Robert -- N5IKD

Robert -- N5IKD, Elmer

• 488 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
This will eventually be persisted to the same way you left the previous Panafall. This way each person will get it the way they prefer.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3692 Posts
  • 1548 Reply Likes
Persistence But for me Always Open
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1814 Posts
  • 650 Reply Likes
Same here......Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of Steve - M3SXA

Steve - M3SXA

• 131 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
ditto....
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 663 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Open
Photo of W0QKL

W0QKL

• 50 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Not Open
Photo of Joe WD5Y

Joe WD5Y

• 176 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Not open
Photo of EMIL-DL8JJ

EMIL-DL8JJ

• 48 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

not open

button like TNF for generaly ON/OFF with persistance

Emil, de DL8JJ

Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 833 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Persisted but normally open for me.  Much easier for weak signal work in my case.
Photo of Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX

Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX, Elmer

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
New slice => ON, then Persistence, with a button to toggle - like TNF.
Photo of Mike K5UX

Mike K5UX

• 34 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I agree with Dale......give us a way to select whether we want the waterfall off or on at SmartSDR initialization. If it's not possible due to coding/design issues to switch it on or off, then bring up SmartSDR with the waterfall portion minimized and we could expand it if needed. It appears those of us that wanted the waterfall got more than we bargained for.......but I've got to tip my hat and praise FRS for listening to their customer-base and delivering the feature in a timely manner. I suspect we are going to see more situations like this one and it serves as a reminder that good, clear communications is key in making sure our expectations as customers are accordant with those of FRS.

Mike
K5UX
Photo of Bill N3HQB

Bill N3HQB

• 40 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Except for digital modes, I prefer waterfall off.
Photo of Robert -- N5IKD

Robert -- N5IKD, Elmer

• 488 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
I like the waterfall showing all the time.

On CW I can judge the speed of a signal before I tune to it and when I am there I can read an occasional letter that I missed right off the waterfall.

On CW and SSB I can tune a station that I just heard, but missed on the Panadapter.

On digital modes I can have an idea of what modes are active before tuning.

On all modes I can see band fading and compare signal strengths of back to back signals.
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 413 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Not open
Photo of Rick Hadley

Rick Hadley

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Persistent, which for me means open.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4149 Posts
  • 1325 Reply Likes
Persistence, yes. But I almost always use the panafall and like it defaulting to open. Once you get used to it, it is invaluable to see what is going on.
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

When I open a new slice...I DO NOT get new panadapter. (6300)

I assume that's correct for now?

I usually DO want a new panadpter with a new slice IF it's on a different band.

Lee

Photo of Robert -- N5IKD

Robert -- N5IKD, Elmer

• 488 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
The Panadapter and slices are separate buttons. Try opening a new Panadapter, then change bands on that panadadapter.

Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 833 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Lee,  If you want a new Panadapter to open you can click on the Icon in the lower left hand corner of Smart SDR.   If you are adding a second slice it will normally open in the Panadapter that you already have open (or whichever Pan you are working with if more than one is open)   Opening a new slice does not open a new Panadapter.
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Persistance Yes
Last use with Panadaptor, then open with
Last use without Panadaptor, then open without.
That's true Persistance!
Photo of Reg

Reg

• 131 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
ON.  I agree with Ken's post.  It is a great tool and I use it all of the time.
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Robert & Larry...I see now.

Makes sense & works well

Sometimes however my waterfall just quits...to start it again I usually just change bands a time or two??

Thanks for the help

Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 608 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Not open...
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 413 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
At this point it is obvious it is about 50/50. I believe everybody would like to have the option to choose for it to come up or not on start up. Ok flex how about it can we have a way to choose it to be hidden or not on start up.

Let's make this issue really Flexable!
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 319 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes

Off.

Charles  K5UA

Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1048 Posts
  • 1055 Reply Likes
Official Response
We think the correct solution is to show the waterfall on a new radio and then remember what you set it to on a by-band basis.  This way, you tell the radio what you prefer and it remembers it.  Without getting into the technical reasons, it is difficult to do and we didn't have time to do this in v1.2.  We do hope to add this in the future.
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 413 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I agree that setting by band and by desire if you want it or not. So since you have it popping up on start up of a slice did you have the choice for it to be hidden on start up? The fact that it does use resources some people might be borderline in using it. I have a very strong machine and that is not a issue but I did note the blacking out of the waterfall lowered usage. So back to my question since you have it comming up automatically is it that difficult to just offer the panafall to show the waterfall or not (same as dragging down the panadapter. I understand it was easier for you to offer the panafall than panadapter or waterfall or panafall but choosing weither it shows or not should be a option. Is that possible? As much as I really like the hardware of the 6000 and the reciever I feel we are a long long way off from equaling the flex ability of power sdr , smart sdr still is in the shadow of power sdr. If fact in day to day operation I run both side by side and it really takes a very very weak signal to make the 6000 really shine. Remember I am number 50 one the initial release so I waited a long time and feel it will be worth it some day.
(Edited)