Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

do i need a router

Don WB3FTQ
Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
edited February 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
just ordered a 6500. my PC has one Ethernet port which is in use by my cable modem. do i need a router (i think i do) if so, what kind do you recommend (NOT wireless please) 73

Answers

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

I love TP-Link Gear.  Solid, reliable and inexpensive.   And if you don't want Wireless at all, then this is a good option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704130

Spec sheet here:

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=tl-r600vpn

Quick Install Guide here....

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TL-R600VPN_V2_QIG_7106504437.pdf

• Scott AC8DE
    Scott AC8DE Member
    edited November 2015
    The answer is - NO, you do not need a router.  It can be connected directly to your ethernet port on your computer.  But then, you would need a second ethernet port on your computer to connect it to the internet, unless you use wireless.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Indeed, I should have pre-faced my response with "YES - if you want to be able to use the internet and the 6500 at the same time" :-)
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    i do need the cable modem connected along with the 6500. also, i do not want a wireless router. Thanks Richard, looks like the way to go.
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    understand. also, will i need a crossover cable and if so how is it connected....between the 6500 & the router of between the PC & router? i am not a computer geek OBVIOUSLY!
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

The Cable modem will plug into the WAN port on the Router, and your PC and the Flex will take a LAN port each.  This will leave you with 2 free network ports - so you can add another PC, a SAN or perhaps another Flex 6000 down the road.

Using the Router will allow you to access the internet while also using the Flex - great for QRZ lookups and software updates .

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    No crossover cables needed at all.  Just straight CAT5/CAT6 LAN cables.  Look me up on QRZ - G7EIX and drop me an email and I will send you a list of what you need - and can also help you with config if required.
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    thanks Richard. i typically have Outlook up and running, Firefox with 3 tabs (one for the digisounders which i use to get real-time propagation charts), and i use HRD logbook (with my Flex 5K) so yes, i DO need a router. am on the Newegg website now getting ready to order your recommended router. Thanks for the help. 73
    WB3FTQ
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Don,
    I would suggest that you look at the Netgear N600 Wireless Router.  I know that you said that you didn't want wireless, so when you set it up, you just turn off the wireless.  I have this router installed and am running my Flex 6500, as well as an EchoLink Server, and IRLP Node, along with many other internet related tasks.  It will do the trick and you won't be dissatisfied.  It has a router and 4 port switch built in for under $100.
    John
    W9KXQ
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I don't understand that logic.   The N900 is a cracking WiFi Router with dual band - but disabling the WiFi on it basically turns it into a stock router no better than the TP-Link.   Seems like false economy to me - especially when you have no use for WiFi.

The TP-Link Wired Only has every feature you could possibly need when compare to the Wires only side of the N900 (of which I also have).    And the TP-Link is still around $40 cheaper.
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Richard,
    I am pretty sure that one day soon Don will wished he had the WiFi so that he could access the Flex with an iPad or other such device, $20 more now, or start all over later?  Apps already out there for this.  Having the Wireless ability for down the road seemed forward thinking.  I have a Nexus 7 Pad that I use on my wireless for controlling all sorts of devices within my home network.

John
    W9KXQ
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for your response John. i've ordered a wired 4-port router from Newegg for $62 so that should be more than enough for my requirements. i just got off the phone with Matt Youngblood and he says the 6500 will ship next week so i want to ready to plug-and-play as much as possible when the radio arrives.

before i bought my 5K i downloaded PowerSDR and some .wav files and i also downloaded VAC and virtual com port software so that when the radio arrived i was up and running in half an hour. only problem i had was when i tried to get on digital (PSK 31) i kept hearing this strange noise in the background on transmit. turns out, that "noise" goes away when you pay for the registered version of VAC.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I agree 100% with you.   I could not live without Wi-Fi, so many devices have that capability now and with the ability to offer Guest Wi-Fi to my friends when we have them over is way better than giving them access to my private network.

But I do know people who have Wired only and prefer it - they use 2G, 3G or LTE for their mobile devices and are happy with it.   Each to their own.   
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    i go back to when an 8-bit computer running at 500kHz with 256 bytes of memory was state-of-the-art! i don't really see myself wanting or needing to operate mobile...i don't even own a cell phone. Flex is dragging me kicking and screaming into the 21st century, hi, hi.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Welcome to the Dark Side!
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Don,
    I have had mine since early Nov. 2013, and never would have dreamed I would ever own such a radio.  It sure beats my National NC-88 receiver and Globe Scout 75 Watt CW transmitter from 53 years ago!  lol

John
    W9KXQ
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    my first receiver was a Hallicrafters S-40B which i bought used from Harrison Radio in 1963 for $50. i didn't get my license until 1976 by which time i had a Heathkit SB-104 transceiver. after that i bought a Kenwood TS-440 which i later replaced with an Icom 756 Pro III (which i still have) and then i bought a Flex 5K fully loaded in 2009. Radio has come a long way in 50 years but i still miss the smell of hot bakelite and the glow of vacuum tubes!
  • Tom Hoflich
    Tom Hoflich Member
    edited May 2014
    I would just like to make one comment.  It is not a good idea to have your computer connected directly to the modem. You give access to your computer to everyone on the internet.  A router will protect you to a large degree.  It is like having a hardware firewall.  It can be a switch or router(wireless or not). But I agree that sooner or later will want to use a wireless device of some type.

73 Tom KM5H 
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    the router is on the way. i will not go mobile, period. the corrupt, self-serving gang of liars and thieves on Crapitol Hill and Constipation Avenue already get enough ILLEGAL OBTAINED information about me as it is.besides i live in the country at the end of the power and phone grids and my phone line crashes regularly, about every 18 months so i will keep the wired phone just to spite the phone company. 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.