Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Do I really need 500 kbs to make a 6000 series radio work?

Options
Larry Deyoe
Larry Deyoe Member
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Just received Flex 6300. Do I really need 500 mb/sec internet speed to make it work properly? I live out in the country where it’s pretty expensive to go up to 1 gb/sec. please help!

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Only if you plan on using the radio remotely. When using the radio on your local network, the internet speed doesn't matter. Almost all current computers, routers and switches are up to the task.
  • Larry Deyoe
    Larry Deyoe Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Boy I sure hope so. I can’t get my computer to work because there’s no audio coming out of it, I just spent $95 for the dog park software to try it on my Mac, it won’t work. My iPad works but it’s very choppy audio. Man I just feel awful tonight. I’ve worked so hard to try and make this work. And I truly was really excited to get this radio. Thanks for your help my friend. Blessings, Larry K7HN
  • W7NIK
    W7NIK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Do not give up . Flex sdr radios are challenging . Usb , network etc . A whole new world to learn.
  • Larry Deyoe
    Larry Deyoe Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Thanks my friend. I’m just frustrated now and trying to get tired enough to go to sleep because I was so excited to get this rig. I’m worried now if I need to buy a Remote auto tuner with it to make it work if I use my iPad or someday get a maestro. It would be nice just to get it on the air though! I’d like to be able to rest in my zero gravity chair so I can stay on the air longer where I’m more comfortable as I’m disabled. I My Elmer told me that the Z100 LDG would auto tune by memory but I’m not finding that to be the case. Of course, I can’t get any audio out of my computer either so who’s to say LOL. Thanks again for your compassion and kindness. I do appreciate it truly. Blessings, Larry K7HN
  • Paul - GI4FZD
    Paul - GI4FZD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    If you are using external pc speakers, try plugging them into the back of the Flex, there is some info here about selecting the correct sound device sometimes smartsdr will set your computer output to dax instead of speakers,  check out https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/201817593-How-to-Change-Default-Audio-Sound-Device
    good luck, you will get there patience is the answer and a lot of reading.
    Paul
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hi Larry K7HN

Wanted to confirm that your radio AND your other gear (PC, iPad...) are all at your house and on the same network.

Yes, if you wanted to use SmartLink - which means your internet path is not confined to your personal LAN, you need more throughput.  Simply too much data and in "people-talk" it gets shaved off and bunched-up by a SmartSDR sub-spec internet connection.

If you are using or hope to use SmartLink you can kind of ignore the rest of my post.

Presumption going forward is everything is on your own LAN.

If everything is on the same LAN your issues are not bound by any internet outside of your home - EXCEPT if you choose to connect via SmartLink.  Yes you can connect by going offsite.  Please check that you are not trying to do this.  Sometimes setups only see a radio on a different home network by SmartLink because the PC and the Radio subnets are different, yet both parts are set up okay.

Next step would be to fill the helpers here at the community in with what your actual setup looks like - how is your network set up, what version(s) of what software you are running, and how your addressing scheme is configured.  

Your separate question about how to use the LDG Z100 autotuner might be best answered by checking out the LDG forum - https://ldgelectronics.freshdesk.com/support/home  Remember as far at the LDG Tuner is concerned any old transceiver is much the same.  If the LDG Z100 cannot find a tune-point it is likely independent of anything FlexRadio.

I read that you are using a reworked G5RV design.

Have you spent much time setting up the antenna or did it just go up as is?

There are several references on getting a good match with that antenna - one is http://www.w5dxp.com/ZS6BKW80/ZS6BKW80.HTM but doing a search will find you more sources.  

As for the SmartSDR sound path the introduction of a PC/Mac makes it a bit more complicated.  Hate to say, but success comes easier if your treat the manual for the particular software package as a checklist, and follow it carefully.  To "diagnose by forum" it would be helpful to know more about your setup, and what you checked or didn't check.  Mostly everyone helping will work through the same steps as the manuals, but getting that second sets of eyes is helpful.

GL and keep at it.  

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com  

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Don't panic quite yet Larry.  Did I read somewhere this morning that your PC is a bit of a vintage thing?  You might want to discuss what you've attempted to utilize for machines so far and NOW?. 

as in SSDR version, O/S version, and what the computer is inside. Processor, memory, graphics, etc...  Depending on what you are looking to do with your station, SSDR can BOG DOWN some components of your computer.  Though a lot of settings can be setup to limit this stress.  Which WILL break up audio.

Just for fun I loaded up only v3.1.8 on my 2013 era AMD processor, 4GB memory laptop on Wifi a couple weekends ago.  After playing with it for about an hour, I handed the laptop to my Hubby and said have fun smashing this, and cut the Hard Disk in half right across the disk part when you get it open.  About all it could do is receive and that was totally lame.

On the other hand, with ONLY SSDR up on the Dell Precision Xeon Workstation the processor and memory are stellar, however, a bit older dual core 4 monitor NVIDIA Quadro 450 graphics card with that core set to maximize graphics performance....  the core with the SSDR monitor is running 50% utilization all by itself. I admit I have the quality cranked up all the way... The radio and  computer are Gb Ethernet connected through the ethernet switch on the wifi router with 1ms latency and a max of 13ms with one dropped packet...  It will drop one while turning everything on.

SSDR can be very graphics intensive.  Now understand what I'm saying now... Your computers depending on internal memory and shared graphics memory, if the settings are not right with the the machine's limitations even modest quality may drag down a lessor computer.  I'd have thought Dogpark on a Mac should have worked alright.  HOWEVER you can see already success depends on what your Mac actually IS and what settings are utilized on SSDR for quality.

It's not that tough to setup audio...  Though I go right into my front panel of my 6500 at this point with Mic, headphones and a KEY.  Which got me on the air, Now all the CAT and DAX  stuff is configured with ALL the Ham Radio software goodies running.  This includes Skype and Outlook for my email. The bottom two monitors are one core and the top another.  The top pair are Mostly ZERO Graphics Utilization.

YMMV, Erika DD
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    To use your computer for audio, there is a button labeled "PC Audio" in the SmartSDR title bar, near the right end. Click this and SmartSDR will send its audio to the PC's default audio playback device.
    I would highly recommend that you download the correct manual for the version of SmartSDR that you are using from the FlexRadio web site. It is under Support/Downloads and is called "SmartSDR for Windows Software User's Guide."
  • Larry Deyoe
    Larry Deyoe Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Nice and thorough reply here. I was up quite late last night and was able to get the Mac version running. Not sure what I did differently to be honest lol. Maybe things needed to be reset a third time. Oh man.... The PC is where I want to start at. I’m not so thrilled with the Mac software and need to have this work on the PC. I have a panafall but no sound. I’ve checked everything. The PC sound card tests work fine. The PC is even hooked into the same router as the rig is. I’ve tried all I can think of. Anyway, My antenna has been wonderful. Just wonderful. From Oregon barefoot I’ve worked by Gods Grace from São Paulo to Oman and South Australia. It’s pretty “hashy” on this rig though using the Mac. I’ll need to look at that link. I thank you for sending it. I wanted to thank you as well as many others for their help here. I appreciate it so much. I read much (not all) of the Smart SDR and Flex hardware manuals. It just has to be something simple and right in front of my nose. By the power of God, I’ll get there. Thanks again my friend for everything. Yikes. 41/2 hours of sleep. Let’s get this thing running!! Merry Christmas to you, Larry
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Using my Mac and DogPark, I, also, was never able to get sound. There apparently is a workaround to use third party audio software, but I also failed at that.

I have been a Mac user since 1988 and was quite frustrated with DogPark.   Don't feel bad about your experience.  I love my Mac, just not DogPark.  To be fair, I find the other apps from the same developer to be well done.

I switched all of my Flex apps to Windows 10 and have been very satisfied, with the usual hiccups.....but.....there were always solutions available to fix them and Flex Customer support was there also to help since they support Smart SDR.

Staying true to my Mac, I run Windows 10 on a virtual machine via Parallels Desktop.  You could also set up Windows 10 on the Mac using Bootcamp, which is built into the Mac operating system.

Concerning the remote Tuner.   I have an LDG tuner, but I have read the MFJ manual, and like the LDG, if you cycle the power off/on, the tuner will initiate a tune cycle.  As it "learns" the frequencies you use, this will be less necessary.   I am also remote, withing my home LAN.  I used Apple "Home" to remotely operate a relay that is in-line with the tuner's 12VDC supply to turn the power off/on and initiate a tune cycle.

Alan
    WA9WUD

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Quick answer, no, you don't need 500mbps speed, or 100mbps speed, you don't even need 25mbps speed. Has more to do with quality of internet rather than speed. When I lived in the city with a 50mbps cable connection I was able to connect with SmartLink. When I moved out into the country I am limited to a provider with currently the highest speed down if 25mbps and 1mbps up. Speed is not the problem, double NAT is. Getting a static IP address maybe a problem depending on the provider. That has been my problem and I cannot use SmartLink any more. For now the only way to connect remotely is via a VPN tunnel created using OpenVPN server on my shack computer and on my remote laptop.

• Larry Deyoe
    Larry Deyoe Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Let me start by saying wow! I am STUNNED at the amount of help I’ve received in this flex community for my questions. I’m not used to that. One thing I know… I have help here… And that’s priceless with the amount of people who know so much more than I do about these radios. I’m sure I’ll be on the air tonight with all the help you all have given me. From the bottom of my heart everybody thank you. It’s an honor to be a part of this community. Blessings, Larry K7HN
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Just so we are clear about the units, you need about 500 kb/s (more commonly 0.5 Mbps) minimum uplink to use your radio remotely.  Gigabit is 1000 Mbps.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Larry;

The Flex can be overwhelming at first. It's sort of like the T-shirt that was around for a while "So many men, so little time.

Before dealing with remote operations, keep everything as simple as possible, and then add complexity. If you physical arrangement will accommodate it, start with SmartSDR on your best computer, wired directly to the Flex, no router, no switch, just it's own little LAN. This usually works right out of the box.

The computer doesn't need to be a high end gaming PC. The controls on the Flex will usually allow the software to work with any reasonable PC or laptop. Mine is an older HP laptop, I5 processor, 4GB memory with the usual on-board graphic adapter limited to 1366 x 768 resolution.

Once connected, have only one Panafall (poor name) in use. Use the Display control in the top left of  the spectrum display to reduce the frame rate (FPS) to five or less, just to get started. If this doesn't work, let us know.

It would help to know what version of windoze you are using, and what computer.

Let us know.
  • Manfred HB9FLU
    Manfred HB9FLU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    To solve the audio problem with the Ipad, activate the VOX. In my case it was successfull.

73 Manfred

HB9FLU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.