Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Do I need to upgrade from Ver 1 to Ver 3 to use the new Power Genius XL

John R Staats
John R Staats Member
edited September 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

Answers

• Warren-K6WKW
    Warren-K6WKW Member
    edited September 2019
    The PGXL can work with almost any radio, so you should be able to work up a wiring system to make it work with Ver 1 which will need to include the USB to BCD band data, keying, etc.. However, since the PGXL didn't exist back when Ver 1 was in common use I don't believe the old S/W would have the integrated features available. I suspect early Ver 2 S/W also wouldn't have the integrated features either. You should plan to upgrade since the complexity of connecting a Flex to the amp without the expected S/W will require a lot of extra H/W and effort that is not needed when using the new S/W. Upgrading will get you bug fixes and features you may find you like, and save extra H/W and wiring. I believe you will only need to pay for one upgrade, so you get savings there. Just my opinion. Warren - K6WKW
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    If you want to use built in monitoring and Band control features that are built into Version 3 SSDR for the PGXL...then yes, you will need to upgrade.    There is a PGXL side panel that will show up in SSDR when a PGXL is  detected.  
  • Greg SP7QJF
    Greg SP7QJF Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    How much will the updates cost for PGXL ?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    To upgrade to V3 it is $200.00.  there has been a lot of changes to SSDR since V1 that would inhance your operating. To many to mention.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    PGXL firmware updates are free.  The current PGXL general release is Version 3.2.15.
  • Warren-K6WKW
    Warren-K6WKW Member
    edited September 2019
    John,
    In case it's not totally clear; clarifying what Bill and Larry are saying - firmware updates to the PGXL amplifier are free. They go inside the PGXL but aren't the thing you need for SSDR. A license upgrade for Smart SDR from V1 to V3 for software that runs on the 6000 FlexRadio and/or PC costs $199.00. That's the thing you need. BTW - an upgrade from V1 to V2 would also cost $199, but you don't want to do that. If you buy the license upgrade go to V3. Same cost but a better plan for both now and later.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.