John R Staats

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Warren-K6WKW

Warren-K6WKW

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The PGXL can work with almost any radio, so you should be able to work up a wiring system to make it work with Ver 1 which will need to include the USB to BCD band data, keying, etc.. However, since the PGXL didn't exist back when Ver 1 was in common use I don't believe the old S/W would have the integrated features available. I suspect early Ver 2 S/W also wouldn't have the integrated features either. You should plan to upgrade since the complexity of connecting a Flex to the amp without the expected S/W will require a lot of extra H/W and effort that is not needed when using the new S/W. Upgrading will get you bug fixes and features you may find you like, and save extra H/W and wiring. I believe you will only need to pay for one upgrade, so you get savings there. Just my opinion. Warren - K6WKW
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 881 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
If you want to use built in monitoring and Band control features that are built into Version 3 SSDR for the PGXL...then yes, you will need to upgrade.    There is a PGXL side panel that will show up in SSDR when a PGXL is  detected.  
Photo of Greg SP7QJF

Greg SP7QJF

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
How much will the updates cost for PGXL ?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3886 Posts
  • 947 Reply Likes
To upgrade to V3 it is $200.00.  there has been a lot of changes to SSDR since V1 that would inhance your operating. To many to mention.
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 875 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
PGXL firmware updates are free.  The current PGXL general release is Version 3.2.15.
Photo of Warren-K6WKW

Warren-K6WKW

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
John,
In case it's not totally clear; clarifying what Bill and Larry are saying - firmware updates to the PGXL amplifier are free. They go inside the PGXL but aren't the thing you need for SSDR. A license upgrade for Smart SDR from V1 to V3 for software that runs on the 6000 FlexRadio and/or PC costs $199.00. That's the thing you need. BTW - an upgrade from V1 to V2 would also cost $199, but you don't want to do that. If you buy the license upgrade go to V3. Same cost but a better plan for both now and later.