Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Do I have to purchase a license to use a used flex radio

Larry Deyoe
Larry Deyoe Member
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Do I have to purchase a Flex Radio license to use a used Flex Radio 6300 I just purchased from a former Flex Radio user?

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited December 2019
    Not at all. The license travels with the radio for the highest version he was licensed for. I hope that makes sense.
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Is there such a thing as a former Flex user? Larry easiest to check with the former owner to see whether he or she had V2 or V3 licence. If not, the radio will work with V1 Smart SDR.
  • Larry Deyoe
    Larry Deyoe Member
    edited December 2019
    Thanks a lot. I contacted the former owner and he told me it was version 2.4.9   I am trying to install that now on a pretty old PC. I already purchased the "Dog Park Software version for this and its been a nightmare. SO... maybe a refund there tomorrow. I can't get my PC to restart as it gets stuck on the screen saying "operations are in progressThe machine will be turned off automatically after the operations are complete." I don't want to "unplug it" to force a restart... I'm just feeling frustrated about this. 

I know it will be worth it. It's just been difficult 

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm so excited to have a radio this good... I just want it to work!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    DogparkSDR is specific for am Apple Mac.

You might want to check your "pretty old PC" against the suggested specifications to see if it will meet the minimum for SmartSDR 2.4.9  You'll find information in the Support area of the main FlexRadio website.

Per the prior owner you can run any Version 1.x and Version 2.x release of SmartSDR, but I'd start with the 2.4.9 they said they were running.  The download is free from FlexRadio (links are on the main page of this forum) .

When you decide to upgrade to SmartSDR Version 3.x there is a cost.  

As for your stuck PC, who knows where you sent it trying to install a Mac program on a Windows platform?  If it has stayed stuck, try the Ctrl-C routine, and the Ctrl-Alt-Del one to see if you can interrupt things.  If you can get Task Manager to open you may be able to **** the Dogpark install.  Otherwise you probably have to pull the plug and hope for the best.  

Everything you actually need to get going you can find in the Flex-6300 user manual and SmartSDR v2.x user manuals in the support area of the main FlexRadio website.

GL and 73

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com  
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Often when you get responses like the one you're seeing about the PC delaying while turning off it is because Windows has loaded an update and is in the middle of installing it.  You may have multiple things going on.  When MS decides it's time to update my PC, which has pretty good performance, normally, response time becomes very doggy and messy.  I just walk away and come back later. Good luck getting this running - you will like it once it's set up!
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have aborted an installation of SmartSDR without issues. It can just be started over, and usually works the next time.

The PC doesn't need to be high end. Windows 7 laptop works here. SmartSDR can be throttled back to work with most PCs.
  • Larry Deyoe
    Larry Deyoe Member
    edited December 2019
    Thanks John! Got it working! image
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I wish dealing with the RFI were as easy.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    As a former Flex user of a 5000A RX2-ATU-VU5K, and a 6500, welcome Larry to the elite of radios. Oh, as Brian pointed out, was never really a former user, still have a 1500 and the flagship 6700 radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.