Diversity reception for the 6600 and the 6700

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered

Hi, just new member of the Flex community.

Thinking of buying a Flex 6600 / 6700 or an Anan 8000DLE, because of the two receivers and therefore the possibility diversity reception. I saw on YouTube a demonstration (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2aihCvEOnM ) with the Anan 8000DLE.

Is this type / way of Diversity reception possible with the Flex 6600 or / and 6700?

If no, when will it be implemented?

Photo of Willem (PD0OHW)

Willem (PD0OHW)

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2254 Posts
  • 879 Reply Likes
Hi Willem,

There's no true voting diversity yet. You can have one SCU in each ear and do it that way. There is a "div" button which does that. I use it on 160 quite a bit.  You do need a radio which has two SCUs. This would mean either the 6700 or 6600/6600M.

Ria
(Edited)
Photo of Gary NC3Z

Gary NC3Z

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Why would a feature such as diversity RX that is in the 5000 not be carried over to the 6600? That is one of the main features that was driving me to a 6600M.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes

SMARTSDR is totally new software compared to the older PowerSDR- it is not a rewrite...

it took about 11 years to add Diversity Steering to PowerSDR

The 6700 (and likely the 6600) already has diversity.. just currently lacks a steering mechanism except for Left/Right volume steering... give them time and I suspect that the Diversity Steering will be significantly superior to existing products.

Photo of Willem (PD0OHW)

Willem (PD0OHW)

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Dear Elmer and Ria, many thanks for your reactions.

Is it possible to run PowerSDR on a Flex 6600 or 6700?

Is it possible to install PowerSDR and SmartSDR on the Flex 6600 or 6700?

Is it than possible to run PowerSDR or SmartSDR on the Flex 6600 or 6700 (not running at the same time)?

To have the best of both worlds.....

Willem

PD0OHW

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
The answer to the first two questions is no.  I am not sure what the third question is asking, so I can't say for certain if the answer is yes or no, but if it involves running PowerSDR with a FLEX-6000, the answer is no.  PowerSDR is not designed to work with the FLEX-6000 family of radios.
(Edited)
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2254 Posts
  • 879 Reply Likes
The third question:

You can sorta run other clients using DAX I/Q but that is a bit clunky and not seamlessly integrated like SmartSDR. I haven't run PowerSDR in a long time but I know it takes I/Q input. I ran it with my old atlas based HPSDR and also SoftRock.

But you still need to run SmartSDR anyway. 

My personal opinion is that the dev team will look to implement this - eventually, but right now they have so many new product releases to get out of the queue before they can work on stuff like this. I think once the new radios and Power Genius XL are released they'll start knocking other things off the list. No guarantees, but Steve did hint that things like adaptive predistortion are coming. It would be nice if they could bring true diversity as well as Anan and Elecraft have it.  
(Edited)
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 346 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes

Is the term "Diversity Steering" the Power SDR radar type display mechanism? If I understand this correctly the scope (with 360 degree steering) will not be part of a 6600 and SSDR?  Hopefully someone can clear that up? 

Cal/N3CAL

(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
There are no GUI design specs for that feature, so it is TBD.
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 350 Posts
  • 133 Reply Likes
Willem to answer your fourth question, today to have the best of worlds you will need to have a 6700 and a 5000 and yes you can run SmartSDR for the 6xxx and PowerSDR for the 5000 on the same computer. I do it all the time at the same time.
Photo of Gary NC3Z

Gary NC3Z

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Guess the big question is, will this be a paid upgrade?
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2254 Posts
  • 879 Reply Likes
Hi Willem,

1. It hasn't been implemented. It certainly is possible. 

2. Correct. 

3. See #1 unless I'm missing something.

4. Don't take Tim's general disclaimer about forward looking statements that way. He has to say that because one things are mentioned they suddenly morph into promises with time frames. 
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes

@Willem

1.  ESC is DEFINITELY POSSIBLE with the Flex 6600 or 6700  - it just needs Flex or someone else to write the software.

2.Correct - PSDR does not work on the 6000

3. See #1 above... definitely possible - it just needs Flex or someone else to write the software.

4.  Flex does not advertise features that it will implement before they are ready for General Release.. so to be fair.. we do not know if it will be in 2.x or 3.x or 4.x

5. I have run both a 5000 and a 6700 over both 3G (poor) and 4G (Good) in the EU  - but it can easily consume a data plan.

6.  Yes the ANAN is definitely a "Computer Science Project" but it uses a variation of the Flex PSDR so it has a form of ESC...so if you are competent to be a computer scientist, then the ANAN is a solution... Personally i have better things to do with my time than to debug computers.

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2254 Posts
  • 879 Reply Likes
I had a chance to see, hold and touch an Anan 8000DLE last Friday.

It's big and heavy. 

It's not "plug and play."

There are some quality control issues.

That said, it's an option. More options are always better. Flex makes a good product and I like plug and play so I'll go with them.

Ria
Photo of Willem (PD0OHW)

Willem (PD0OHW)

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Dear All,

Again thank you for your reactions, I think that all my questions are answered. At this moment in time it is still difficult to decide to go for the Anan or Flex.

Pro Flex:

-       Plug and play

-       Importing person / company nearby (agreed to help me with computer problems)

-       Space and or polarization diversity possible (2 receivers)

-       Remote control via I-Pad

-       Etc.

Con Flex:

-       No Enhanced Signal Clarity (ESC) at this moment, new software release, when?

Pro Anan:

-       Enhanced Signal Clarity (ESC) possible

-       Remote control with PiHPSDR Controller??

-       Etc.

Con Anan:

-       Looks like in-depth computer knowledge is much needed, is this changed with the introduction of the PiHPSDR Controller? I will ask in the Anan discussion group....

Best 73,

Willem

Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1752 Posts
  • 534 Reply Likes
Make sure the software is capable of all the things the hardware is capable. I mean, check to see if there is software that can make use of several receivers simultaneously while having the capability to TX in the Anan.

SDR is great but software falls short. Not speaking of any one in particular, just in general. It is my personal experience.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.