Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Diversity and Working Split - stack slices

Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
When using the Diversity option on the 6700 and working split on a third slice the B & C slices overlap. 

In the example below: 
Slice A is the primary slice on the DX frequency (Ant 1)
Slice B is the diversity slice (Ant 2) 
Slice C is the TX slice up 1 for Transmit ( Ant 1)

Display is a bit confusing, especially if you are trying to adjust the settings on Slice B.

Would it be better to stack the Diversity slice below the primary  slice?

I've just started experimenting with the diversity option and splits so if there is a better way to set it up, let me know. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    You can always minimize the DIV child slice once you have the proper antenna selected too.
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I use the minimization scheme aggressively in this setting.
    I click on the "B" to reduce the diversity antenna slice to a single letter and chord.
    I usually click on the "A" to reduce the primary receive slice to a single letter and chord.
    I keep the transmit slice flag open.

At other times I might switch these around depending what I am trying to do but generally I find reducing the slices to chords cleans up the screen nicely.

I seldom tweak the diversity antenna slice much during split operation.

Mike N1MD
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Tim,
    Only thing is I like to adjust the volume so need to keep the DIV slice open.   Can't get to the diversity slice volume any other way that I've found.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    OK.  That is a very valid point.
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    If you need diversity reception to pull out a signal, the guy on the other end probably can't hear you anyway.

Looks like much to do about nothin'

Plus, when is the last time something important was transmitted on a HF amateur radio band?

(monday morning cynic here, sorry)
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Don't have a 6700 but sometimes I think it would have been worth the wait. 
    I do a lot of listening utility, shortwave etc... so it's only RX only at that point. 
    Consider you have a  full legal power station with a big beam and the rare DX is running 100 watts and a long wire.
    He may hear you but you won't hear him. 
    Just a though... BTW your cell phone wouldn't work with out diversity. Same problem as above Base Big power Big Gain 
    mobile low power and small antenna.
    Dan --- KC4GO
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Well if you're going to compare the importance of a cell phone to HF Amateur Radio, then I'm going to drop out right here.

Just because a cell phone has "diversity reception," does not mean we need it in HF amateur radio and there's suddenly a need for it.
    Just a though... BTW your cell phone wouldn't work with out diversity. Same problem as above Base Big power Big Gain mobile low power and small antenna.
    That's incorrect, it's not the same problem as above. The problem with cell phones which requires diversity reception is that all the frequencies are ~1Ghz+ and there are lots and lots of reflections and time shifts in the received signal. Thus the need to look at every reflection and choose the best one.

And I believe it's a form of comb filtering, or comb receiver (can't remember exactly what they call it), not "diversity reception."

Regardless, this is almost nothing like what we face in small signal HF reception.

And wow, how important is working that "rare DX?"

Ha ha

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Rob,
    Like Dan/KC4GO said, if the guy on the other end is either QRP or has a compromise antenna, he may be able to hear you when you can barely  hear him.   And there can be another advantage for  diversity when there is multi-path or fading.

So far in my limited testing, diversity seems to help in just a small number of cases.  But that will also vary depending on your antenna setup.  In my case for 20-10M I'm using a 3el quad and a hexbeam that are only about 150 feet apart.  For 80-30M my antennas are about 500 feet apart. 

As far as how important is working that rare DX? --- That's one of my main interests and probably is for some others as well.  That's what I really like about out hobby, lots of different interests and room for them all.  So even it diversity only helps me 0.1% of the time, I'm glad to have the option. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    November November Zulu Zulu

Agreed! Investigating this technology is interesting! And yes, there are many different facets to this hobby - each appealing to different people.

What I don't get is justifying diversity reception by saying "well it's important in cell phones."

The technology in cell phones and all other commercial communications gear left us WAAY behind....a looonnng time ago.

It's not like we are the cutting edge, finding, developing or refining new technologies for the PROs.

That's all I'm saying. It gets a little old hearing people trying to justify Amateur Radio in creative ways, usually comparing us to something far more relevant.

:)

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Al, where you have a lot of screen real estate, would +'ing the panadapter to essentially bring those three slices to occupy the screen serve your purpose.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Walt,
    Yes if you have room and zoom in enough it's not a problem.   The downside is you won't see much of the split traffic.   (maybe 6-7 KHZ).   If you set it to see a wider section of the band (e.g. 10-20 KHZ) that is when there is an overlap problem.    

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Did anyone mention the option of putting DIV on slice C, and the B (split) slice in a separate panadapter? Works great!

73 Ed W2RF
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, tried that and it works.  I was just looking for a solution for when using only one panadapter and all three slices together. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Another way is to use Stu K6TU's iPad app. It keeps all the slices separate.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My old iPad is a GEN 1 so can't try it yet but I'm going to get one of the new 12" IPad PROs when they come out later this year.    

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.